Beck says Martinez is "biggest surprise"

Obviously this thread will probably end up being mostly about the QBs even though it appears Beck basically eliminated the theory that Carnes might overtake Martinez in fall camp. However, some of the other "nuggets" are pretty interesting as well:

Papuchis said that the battle for the one corner spot would be a "wild ride," took me off guard. Obviously they always want competition during fall camp, but I really thought Ciante Evans probably had a lock on that spot given his play last year when he had opportunities.

I think it's very encouraging to hear that this could be the fastest group of wide receivers we've had - with all the talk of Turner since the spring game, people had basically forgotten about Kenny Bell. He may have as much or more impact in the new offense as Turner. Add a big possession receiver like Kinnie and a speedy tight end with Kyler Reed, and some improvement from Martinez and you've got the tools for a dangerous passing game.

I also thought Beck's comments on Starling were a little intriguing, particularly in the LJS article. Not so much his comments on Starling working his tail off, but more his comments concerning their relationship. Obviously he's probably just saying what he's supposed to say, but it also sounded like he feels he's earned Starling's trust. Probably means nothing at all, but at the very least he said all the right things.

I also liked this nugget...

"If we're getting 5 yards per crack, I don't see why we need to go on to the next play," he said, drawing applause from an audience with former offensive coordinator Shawn Watson on their minds and Diet Cokes and Bud Lights in their hands.

PS: my kind of church - i might actually attend a service or two.

Taylor Martinez, Beck said, is the "biggest surprise" of summer conditioning based on what he's heard

so what's been so surprising about t-mart?

"He's done all the things I've asked of him," Beck said

:)

You, my friend, are a debbie downer.

Haha - I just thought it was funny how the quotes were arranged. Talks about him being a huge surprise, then the first thing Beck mentions when explaining that is that he's done everything asked of him. It's like, "did you expect him not to do everything you asked so are therefore surprised"? :P the article kind of takes it out of context I think.

Taylor Martinez, Beck said, is the "biggest surprise" of summer conditioning based on what he's heard

You, my friend, are a debbie downer.

Haha - I just thought it was funny how the quotes were arranged. Talks about him being a huge surprise, then the first thing Beck mentions when explaining that is that he's done everything asked of him. It's like, "did you expect him not to do everything you asked so are therefore surprised"? :P the article kind of takes it out of context I think.

Yeah, I know. I don't think Beck would come out and just be like, "You know, I thought Taylor was going to be a huge d**k, but he actually has done everything I've told him! What a wonderful surprise!"

Haha, hopefully that's not actually what he meant, I'm guessing it's more of a "I'm surprised he's taken to the leadership responsibilities I asked him to so quickly," or something.

The more of this kind of sentiment you hear though, combined with the comments on how not everybody on the offensive staff/offense was on board last year, you really realize just how broken we were. Based on the article and da skers' comments, it almost sounds like not only was Wats undermined by his own assistant coaches, but that Martinez was undermined by his own wide receivers at times.

Anyways, hopefully everyone truly is on the same page now, and the offense can work on consistently improving just like the defense has. Every time I hear Beck talk about his offensive philosophy I get excited - but I also think he may just know what Nebraska fans want to hear. We'll have to wait and see if he backs it up...

Exactly. If no one improves even an inch - the fact that everyone should be on the same page now, which should allow for an "identity" to form will be enough to win another game or two.

For us to perform the way we did, going 10-2 in regular season with all the injuries, struggles and other setbacks we had last year says something. There's more reason to be hopeful about the season this year than there has been the past few years IMO. We finally have some continuity.

I'm also glad Beck is going on record saying Taylor is the man right now. Even if Carnes is on his heals - the kid needs to know that he has the starting spot not only in game 1, but game 2, game 3, and game 4. I don't like how the last few seasons have played on the QBs. How can they play 100% when they're just as worried about making a mistake and getting benched as they are about making a play. Motivate a defensive lineman that way, he gets mad - but not a QB.

Would this include not bringing his cell to the stadium?

I kid, I kid

I haven't actually read this article, so I don't know if this is in there or not. But I love Beck's comments on the offense's new mindset. The Blackshirts have a certain swagger about them, they know they are going to get the job done. Beck is trying to implement this into the offense now.

I'm certainly rooting for Taylor. I hope he can become "comfortable" this year. Comfortable with the team, the pressure/responsibilities, and the media. Everything was somewhat forced/awkward last year.

If last year were to "flip" where he had a slow/bad start (like the last 4 games) and a fast/magic finish (like the first 5-6 games) we wouldn't even be able to tolerate ourselves due to the excitement/expectation.

I'm certainly rooting for Taylor. I hope he can become "comfortable" this year. Comfortable with the team, the pressure/responsibilities, and the media. Everything was somewhat forced/awkward last year.

If last year were to "flip" where he had a slow/bad start (like the last 4 games) and a fast/magic finish (like the first 5-6 games) we wouldn't even be able to tolerate ourselves due to the excitement/expectation.

ahhhh...if only we could play the powder puffs and 100+ ranked defenses at the end of the year...that would be just swell. :)

ahhhh...if only we could play the powder puffs and 100+ ranked defenses at the end of the year...that would be just swell. :)

Well ok, if you say so. Washington was that bad too? Geesh...let's look it up for total defense rankings before Tmart's injury.

Washington......70

Missouri.....47

Okie St...88

No great defenses to be sure but powderpuffs w/100+ ranked defenses? I don't think so.

Exactly. If no one improves even an inch - the fact that everyone should be on the same page now, which should allow for an "identity" to form will be enough to win another game or two.

For us to perform the way we did, going 10-2 in regular season with all the injuries, struggles and other setbacks we had last year says something. There's more reason to be hopeful about the season this year than there has been the past few years IMO. We finally have some continuity.

I'm also glad Beck is going on record saying Taylor is the man right now. Even if Carnes is on his heals - the kid needs to know that he has the starting spot not only in game 1, but game 2, game 3, and game 4. I don't like how the last few seasons have played on the QBs. How can they play 100% when they're just as worried about making a mistake and getting benched as they are about making a play. Motivate a defensive lineman that way, he gets mad - but not a QB.

I was also glad to see him go on the Record about the starter, I get the need to compete but at times it is obvious and the coaches seem silly saying the job is wide open.