***Rumor*** Looking for info

Bo personally told every husker reporter to report nothing about Taylor's elbow because he didn't want all the attention on Taylor during the big10 media days.

Right. And the OWH is so well known for playing ball with Bo's every wish. :rolleyes:

It's times like these when I start thinking how nice it would be to start handing out 30-day bans for people who post and perpetuate false rumors.

And what if it turned out to be true? I specifically said I was pretty sure it wasn't true, but so many people here have much better connections than I do. I meant no harm in posting this, posed it as something I was hoping for someone to tell me otherwise, and said we could close it down immediately. In no way was I trying to start a witch hunt. I've asked for the thread to be closed. What else could I have done outside of not posting?...which I understand now should have been my option. Sorry knapplc. I felt I was pretty straight forward.

For every rumor that we've had that's turned out to be even partially true we've had a dozen that were little more than someone crying "wolf!" It gets to a point where you have to determine whether these threads entertain the members or annoy them enough that they go elsewhere. We've lost members for being both too permissive and too restrictive of rumors, among other things. Our job is to balance those two ends. We've tried dedicated forums, we've tried locking/removing threads like this until proven true, we've tried all kinds of things.

You're a guy who has posted, what? Five times this year? Folks don't know if you're on the level or if you're poking the anthill with a stick. You say you wanted information, so instead of asking, "Has anyone heard anything about Martinez lately," you come out with "Martinez broke his elbow." If you're just looking for information, it seems odd to post a rumor about the worst-case scenario.

Calm down... You're an internet message board moderator. Without posts on rumor related topics, the traffic to this site would probably disappear throughout the summer months... Internet geeks crack me up! Judging a man, presumably, on the number of posts he's made this year?!?

If it bothers or annoys you, DON'T READ IT.

There's a balance. Knapp didn't come out with this post until there had been repeated, unsubstantiated rumor posts. Fire it out there once, fine. But don't continually pepper threads with undocumented doomsday scenarios. If you can't show me a shred of evidence that what you're saying is true, I don't want to hear about it all day. So I for one appreciate the mods trying to limit an onslaught of "lookitme" injury rumors.

I'm not saying nobody should relay a message about the team that they've heard. But until it is official, out of the university, don't tell me I'm going to "feel stupid" for not unquestioningly nodding at everything you say.

Some people take things on faith, others need something tangible for belief. I'm in the latter, and somebody saying "a dude on the team told me" is not tangible. It's a gust of wind.

If you want "official statements" - check the university website. If you "don't want to hear about it all day" - it's called the back button, selecting a different thread, or just closing out your web browser.

OR, create a form requiring mod approval before a thread can be started.

I apologize if you are actually forced to read this, as I wasn't aware of folks being forced into such horrible situations.

This is akin to the dude at the theater who wants someone to be quiet, so he begins to SSSSSSHHHHHH loudly... makes no sense.

• Fire 2

Bo personally told every husker reporter to report nothing about Taylor's elbow because he didn't want all the attention on Taylor during the big10 media days.

Right. And the OWH is so well known for playing ball with Bo's every wish. :rolleyes:

It's times like these when I start thinking how nice it would be to start handing out 30-day bans for people who post and perpetuate false rumors.

And what if it turned out to be true? I specifically said I was pretty sure it wasn't true, but so many people here have much better connections than I do. I meant no harm in posting this, posed it as something I was hoping for someone to tell me otherwise, and said we could close it down immediately. In no way was I trying to start a witch hunt. I've asked for the thread to be closed. What else could I have done outside of not posting?...which I understand now should have been my option. Sorry knapplc. I felt I was pretty straight forward.

For every rumor that we've had that's turned out to be even partially true we've had a dozen that were little more than someone crying "wolf!" It gets to a point where you have to determine whether these threads entertain the members or annoy them enough that they go elsewhere. We've lost members for being both too permissive and too restrictive of rumors, among other things. Our job is to balance those two ends. We've tried dedicated forums, we've tried locking/removing threads like this until proven true, we've tried all kinds of things.

You're a guy who has posted, what? Five times this year? Folks don't know if you're on the level or if you're poking the anthill with a stick. You say you wanted information, so instead of asking, "Has anyone heard anything about Martinez lately," you come out with "Martinez broke his elbow." If you're just looking for information, it seems odd to post a rumor about the worst-case scenario.

Calm down... You're an internet message board moderator. Without posts on rumor related topics, the traffic to this site would probably disappear throughout the summer months... Internet geeks crack me up! Judging a man, presumably, on the number of posts he's made this year?!?

There's a balance. Knapp didn't come out with this post until there had been repeated, unsubstantiated rumor posts. Fire it out there once, fine. But don't continually pepper threads with undocumented doomsday scenarios. If you can't show me a shred of evidence that what you're saying is true, I don't want to hear about it all day. So I for one appreciate the mods trying to limit an onslaught of "lookitme" injury rumors.

I'm not saying nobody should relay a message about the team that they've heard. But until it is official, out of the university, don't tell me I'm going to "feel stupid" for not unquestioningly nodding at everything you say.

Some people take things on faith, others need something tangible for belief. I'm in the latter, and somebody saying "a dude on the team told me" is not tangible. It's a gust of wind.

If you want "official statements" - check the university website. If you "don't want to hear about it all day" - it's called the back button, selecting a different thread, or just closing out your web browser.

I apologize if you are actually forced to read this, as I wasn't aware of folks being forced into such horrible situations.

This is akin to the dude at the theater who wants someone to be quiet, so he begins to SSSSSSHHHHHH loudly... makes no sense.

Yeah, I'm going to continue to be skeptical of unverified rumors, and voice said skepticism. If you don't like it, tell a movie audience to be quiet.

Wait...what?

• Fire 2

No, it's akin to the usher in the theater getting ten moviegoers complaining about the guy cracking jokes at the screen all movie long. You may not like the fact that the usher has a job to do, but that's your problem.

One thing I find most interesting is that the people supporting these rumors are folks who rarely post here. Who do you please as a business, the folks who wander in occasionally and provide little to the discussion other than to complain, or do you listen to the customers who come by daily, who keep the place in business? Or do you try to find a balance between the two?

• Fire 1

Yeah, I'm going to continue to be skeptical of unverified rumors, and voice said skepticism. If you don't like it, tell a movie audience to be quiet.

Wait...what?

This. This is a messge board, and lord knows we at HB have seen alot of bogus rumors. There is always going to be skeptisim about anything that comes out, and cannot be verified. It's part of posting on a message board.

• Fire 2

I think it's pretty telling that the guy trying to fuel most of this has a -23 reputation when you can't even give negative reputation anymore.

Wait, what? We have reputations here? I never know any of this stuff because I exclusively use the mobile site. I bet my reputation is awesome. Because I'm awesome, funny, intelligent, handsome, and very, very humble.

• Fire 3

I think it's pretty telling that the guy trying to fuel most of this has a -23 reputation when you can't even give negative reputation anymore.

Wait, what? We have reputations here? I never know any of this stuff because I exclusively use the mobile site. I bet my reputation is awesome. Because I'm awesome, funny, intelligent, handsome, and very, very humble.

+1