NCAA Hypocrisy

Hercules

Worth the read. Here's an opinion on NCAA hyposcrisy coming from a former MIami walk-on, who's about to start an internship with the Cato Institute.

"I don't know much about players taking 'illegal benefits' and if I did I wouldn't be snitching about it like a lowlife, but I can tell you this: I hope to the bottom of my soul that every player in America is on the take, because they're getting shafted. The powers that be make too much money this way to ever change, and the rest of the country seems far too committed to delusions, institutional partisanship, and jealousy to see their own glass houses, so take what you can get while you can get it, youngbloods. You earned it."

Worth the read. Here's an opinion on NCAA hyposcrisy coming from a former MIami walk-on, who's about to start an internship with the Cato Institute.

"I don't know much about players taking 'illegal benefits' and if I did I wouldn't be snitching about it like a lowlife, but I can tell you this: I hope to the bottom of my soul that every player in America is on the take, because they're getting shafted. The powers that be make too much money this way to ever change, and the rest of the country seems far too committed to delusions, institutional partisanship, and jealousy to see their own glass houses, so take what you can get while you can get it, youngbloods. You earned it."

Then why don't we just take back the education he received as a player and see if he still gets his CATO Institute internship.

Plus, what about schools like Nebraska that use the football money to pay for all the other sports and run the AD as a non-profit that doesn't take taxes? Why aren't we highlighting the programs that are doing it right, instead of pointing to the ones doing it wrong and using them as the reason why we can't have nice things?

Then why don't we just take back the education he received as a player and see if he still gets his CATO Institute internship.

Plus, what about schools like Nebraska that use the football money to pay for all the other sports and run the AD as a non-profit that doesn't take taxes? Why aren't we highlighting the programs that are doing it right, instead of pointing to the ones doing it wrong and using them as the reason why we can't have nice things?

He was a walk-on. He didn't get into the Cato Institute because of a football scholarship. neither does anybody else.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion. Here is mine, I believe that at least 30% of the kids playing CFB could not get into their respective universities without the lower admission standards that are given to athletes. I think that if said athlete wants to quit his sport that pays for classes, room and board & food, just so he can take a job that pays a little over the minimum wage and he can work 20-40hrs a week while taking classes then, be my freaking guest.

Hearing these guys cry about money is like the rich kid complaining cause daddy gave him a 3 year old 300 series for graduation and not a NEW ONE!! "But Daddy!! you have so much money!!" God good, you want to know what crybaby athlete. How many of the normal college students pay outlandish tuition that increases every year, pay hundreds of dollars to get gear and clothes that has the university teams or logos on it (which btw way you get for FREE) and they dont get a damn bit of money either. All we get is a freaking bill.

Fro's little example of getting paid.

Instate Nebraska Fro Vs. Instate Athlete crybaby (i will need some help from UNL students because frankly i dont know what some of these costs are)

Fro

Tuition for 15 hrs a semester & fees, no summer school - $7648.00

Room and Board - $8648.00

Part time job - $10,000 a year

Tutor for classes - ? (I could have expected to pay anything from $10-20hr for upper level courses)

Athletic fees - ?

Total Cost - Min of $16,296 - $10,000 = $6296 + books and extras

Athlete

$2000 a year limit from part time offseason work

Room and Board - FREE

Tuition for as many hours as wanted/needed - FREE

Fees- FREE

Tutors- FREE

Athletic fees - FREE

Total Cost - FREE. Plus I made $2000

Out of state.

Fro owes $15,580 + books and extras

Athlete owes nothing, because it’s free. Oh and he made $2000.

4 years of working and making $10000 a year (which we all know that every cent would go to that school bill right? But for the sake of example we will pretend that is the case here) has left me with this as just normal student Fro;

In state, I leave UNL with $25184 of debt which does not include extras like going to sporting events, clothes, books, summer classes & all others not listed.

Out of state, I leave UNL with $63,320 of debt which does not include extras like going to sporting events, clothes, books, summer classes & all others not listed.

But fro crybaby athlete leaves with a charge of zero and he made $8000 to spend on extra for grins.

Pay me, pay me, pay me...its not fair. Dude for real, how many on this board are paying student loans? My wife and I owe a combined $550+ a month that we are paying and will pay for a total of 15 years. (For those mathematically impaired, with interest and not paying off early, I will have paid nearly $100K for our degrees)

There are some exceptions. But most of these guys could not SNIFF an academic scholarship to pay full tuition and board so they are all ready getting paid. They are getting something free that if they could not play that sport they would not have a shot in hell at getting. That is reward enough for me.

But that is just my opinion... :dunno

• Fire 1

Everyone has a right to their own opinion. Here is mine, I believe that at least 30% of the kids playing CFB could not get into their respective universities without the lower admission standards that are given to athletes. I think that if said athlete wants to quit his sport that pays for classes, room and board & food, just so he can take a job that pays a little over the minimum wage and he can work 20-40hrs a week while taking classes then, be my freaking guest.

Hearing these guys cry about money is like the rich kid complaining cause daddy gave him a 3 year old 300 series for graduation and not a NEW ONE!! "But Daddy!! you have so much money!!" God good, you want to know what crybaby athlete. How many of the normal college students pay outlandish tuition that increases every year, pay hundreds of dollars to get gear and clothes that has the university teams or logos on it (which btw way you get for FREE) and they dont get a damn bit of money either. All we get is a freaking bill.

Instate Nebraska Fro Vs. Instate Athlete crybaby (i will need some help from UNL students because frankly i dont know what some of these costs are)

Fro

Tutor for classes - ? (I could have expected to pay anything from $10-20hr for upper level courses)

Athletic fees - ?

Athlete

Room and Board - FREE

Fees- FREE

Tutors- FREE

Athletic fees - FREE

Out of state.

4 years of working and making $10000 a year (which we all know that every cent would go to that school bill right? But for the sake of example we will pretend that is the case here) has left me with this as just normal student Fro;

In state, I leave UNL with $25184 of debt which does not include extras like going to sporting events, clothes, books, summer classes & all others not listed.

Out of state, I leave UNL with $63,320 of debt which does not include extras like going to sporting events, clothes, books, summer classes & all others not listed.

But fro crybaby athlete leaves with a charge of zero and he made $8000 to spend on extra for grins.

Pay me, pay me, pay me...its not fair. Dude for real, how many on this board are paying student loans? My wife and I owe a combined $550+ a month that we are paying and will pay for a total of 15 years.

There are some exceptions. But most of these guys could not SNIFF an academic scholarship to pay full tuition and board so they are all ready getting paid. They are getting something free that if they could not play that sport they would not have a shot in hell at getting. That is reward enough for me.

You think any of what you said justifies the fact that administrators, universities, coaches, and the media all make millions of dollars off of the work of the players? You're spinning this into an argument about scholarship athletes whining for more money when the article I posted is about a WALK-ON, and he's not crying about how hard student-athletes have it, he's railing against the hypocrisy of a system which punishes students for taking some money or booze while those same self-righteous administrators and talking heads are making millions off of the same student-athletes.

His point is that in this backwards system, it's apparently ok for douchebags like Kirk Herbstreit to become millionaires commenting on college football (and criticizing those student-athletes who took a new car or money to get their parents into some better living conditions) while simultaneously not providing any monetary compensation to the student athletes who make the game possible in the first place.

When I hear people complain about snitching I just shake my head. They couldn't do the right thing to begin with, so how do you expect someone who can't do the right thing to begin with adhere to any sort of code of conduct (regardless if that conduct is right or wrong) And I agree if you don't like it don't participate. Rules are rules and that's what it is.

• Fire 1

Actually he is crying about how hard student athletes have it; they can't get drunk and throw themselves at women, hold down a job, they have to run in the early morning, etc. The guy just sounds cynical about the whole situation. Furthermore he's a walk-on, he's free to quit at anytime with out loosing a scholarship. It was his choice to participate and he knew the rules/consequences. I played football my whole life too and still love it, but I chose not to in college 1) because with Billy C coaching I would have never sniffed the field 2) I just wasn't as strong or talented as most of those guys and 3) I had an education to focus on, which never got me free gear, paid trips to big cities (with gifts), or access to the facilities that these guys get.

Furthermore what you fail to realize is that "douchebag" Kirk Herbstreit and the following people; Desmond Howard, Mark May, Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, Bo Pelini, Frank Solich, Tom Osborne, and many others have all been the student athlete and are now in this "hypocritical" position of "profiting" off of these "poor" student athletes. Every single athlete out there has the same potential as all these men, whether or not they take advantage of that is a different story.

• Fire 1

Sam McKewon sums it up better then I could: http://sports.omaha.com/2011/08/19/should-college-football-players-get-paid/

I am very against athletes getting paid in college, beyond maybe a small amount over cost of living included in scholarships (because lets face it, those teams are working year round with 'voluntary' workouts). I'd rather they send kids that want to earn a paycheck to an NFL minor league to get paid, but that still wouldn't stop what happened in Miami.

Pretty much the only thing that will is program crippling penalties and long term eligibility losses IMO. Along with much better NCAA investigators and independent compliance staffs not connected to the school so they don't have a vested interest in looking the other way.

Fro

Athletic fees - ?

Athlete

Room and Board - FREE

Fees- FREE

Tutors- FREE

Athletic fees - FREE

Out of state.

Pay me, pay me, pay me...its not fair. Dude for real, how many on this board are paying student loans? My wife and I owe a combined $550+ a month that we are paying and will pay for a total of 15 years.

You think any of what you said justifies the fact that administrators, universities, coaches, and the media all make millions of dollars off of the work of the players? You're spinning this into an argument about scholarship athletes whining for more money when the article I posted is about a WALK-ON, and he's not crying about how hard student-athletes have it, he's railing against the hypocrisy of a system which punishes students for taking some money or booze while those same self-righteous administrators and talking heads are making millions off of the same student-athletes.

His point is that in this backwards system, it's apparently ok for douchebags like Kirk Herbstreit to become millionaires commenting on college football (and criticizing those student-athletes who took a new car or money to get their parents into some better living conditions) while simultaneously not providing any monetary compensation to the student athletes who make the game possible in the first place.

You also realize that there are many educational institutions that have no sports teams and make money on the tuition right? Why should the athletes be paid to do something they enjoy AND gives them a shot at the pros? I didn't get paid to go through college to earn a better job.

Sam McKewon sums it up better then I could: http://sports.omaha.com/2011/08/19/should-college-football-players-get-paid/

I am very against athletes getting paid in college, beyond maybe a small amount over cost of living included in scholarships (because lets face it, those teams are working year round with 'voluntary' workouts). I'd rather they send kids that want to earn a paycheck to an NFL minor league to get paid, but that still wouldn't stop what happened in Miami.

Pretty much the only thing that will is program crippling penalties and long term eligibility losses IMO. Along with much better NCAA investigators and independent compliance staffs not connected to the school so they don't have a vested interest in looking the other way.

The problem with McKewon's argument is he's trying to point out how much worse it would be if money became an influence. Money is already an influence, except instead of there being any control over it, it's a black market. It's like saying, "imagine how bad marijuana use would be if it were legal!" The fact that it's illegal serves as a deterrent to very few, and it instead creates a black market where there otherwise could be control.

I don't think the NCAA has the backbone to give Miami the death penalty, to give them the crippling penalties that they deserve under the current rules, because the NCAA is complicit in all of this. They understand that if they shut down Miami for a year, or ban them from TV, that means that the NCAA loses money, not just Miami.

The players know what their coaches make, what the administrators make, and they also know that none of those positions would exist without the players themselves, so why should the players refuse the boosters' money? If it's going to help them or their family, why should they refuse it? Just because it's "against the rules" isn't a good enough reason if you believe that the rules are rigged against you in a system where you're more valuable than what you're being paid.

The basic problem is that the idea of amateurism that the NCAA hides behind with college football is a false notion. It's not amateurism when this much money is being thrown around with coaches, with administrators, and with the media. ESPN signed a 300 million dollar deal with ONE school, for God's sake. That's not amateurism. College gymnastics still has the feel of amateurism. College track and field or wrestling or bowling or even baseball still has the feel of amateurism to it. College football doesn't. It's business.

I didn't get paid to go through college to earn a better job.

You didn't make millions of dollars for your university by playing on their high profile sports team, either.

I did get paid to get my masters degree. I was given free tuition, like student-athletes, and I received a stipend in exchange for teaching some classes as a graduate assistant. My masters degree will allow me to get a better job, but since I also worked for the university while I was getting that degree, they paid me. However, my financial value to the university was virtually nothing. They didn't sell jerseys with my number in the stores, they don't have my likenesss in video games, and they don't broadcast my classes on ESPN for millions of dollars. My value to the university was virtually nothing compared to football players, especially high-profile football players, and yet you think they're just like any other student?

You didn't make millions of dollars for your university by playing on their high profile sports team, either.

I did get paid to get my masters degree. I was given free tuition, like student-athletes, and I received a stipend in exchange for teaching some classes as a graduate assistant. My masters degree will allow me to get a better job, but since I also worked for the university while I was getting that degree, they paid me. However, my financial value to the university was virtually nothing. They didn't sell jerseys with my number in the stores, they don't have my likenesss in video games, and they don't broadcast my classes on ESPN for millions of dollars. My value to the university was virtually nothing compared to football players, especially high-profile football players, and yet you think they're just like any other student?

Sigh....the university also pays for stadium upkeep, staff, coaches, trainers, weight facilities, etc... they are like any other college student. Why should they have special privaleges. My tuition paid for the staff. The ticket sales and TV deals pay for the maintinence and list of things above. Not all universities make a killing like Texas. Imagine Arkansas State having to pay players...

Sigh....the university also pays for stadium upkeep, staff, coaches, trainers, weight facilities, etc... they are like any other college student. Why should they have special privaleges. My tuition paid for the staff. The ticket sales and TV deals pay for the maintinence and list of things above. Not all universities make a killing like Texas. Imagine Arkansas State having to pay players...

Don't forget about subsidizing the non-revenue sports too.

This is the biggest reason I have a problem with the agenda push from the talking heads at ESPN and elsewhere. They absolutely never talk about that, nor the fact that it gives athletes that may realize they just don't have what it takes to get to the NFL a chance at a quality education to fall back on. Or that it gives opportunity for those destined for the NFL a chance to separate themselves and potentially earn more money.

Nope, its all black and white, the CFB stars should get paid. The rest of the athletes on campus and even the rest of the football team (in some suggested cases) be damned.