The Battle for NU

knapplc

The Battle For NU  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think rivalries are based on history and what happens between them during actual played games. For instance, a heartbreaking loss or repeated poor sportsmanship. However, I also think rivalries can be personal, as my name states. I live in Denver, so being out here, I hated CU and their fans. Just because they may not be NU's rival...they were indeed my rival. I think that's why many NU fans think of IA as such. Actually, I may just change my name to IA Sucks...

So my question to those of you voting in favor of Iowa in the first poll: What makes Iowa more worthy of being a "rival" than Northwestern?

I'll admit to the silliness of the poll question, but I did it to show how silly it is to designate Iowa (or Indiana or Minnesota or Northwestern) as a rival.

Cause its right across the friggin river. It just naturally to have rival like Iowa if your Nebraska, they hate us, we hate them. Listen 1620 in afternoon, there is people calling all the time hating on Iowa. They are just like Mizzou, bad mouthing Nebraska and claiming there program is so great based on the very little success they had a dozen years ago. Have they even won a conference championship yet in another sport beside wrestling???

Atleast Colorado had a couple of conference championship they can brag about.

Iowa has won conference championships in 2002 and 2004, finishing 2nd in 2009, and has played in two Orange Bowls (winning one), three Outback Bowls, two Alamo Bowls and one Capital One Bowl in the last decade.

When was the last time we won a conference championship and played in (let alone won) a BCS game again? The answer is 2001, 8 full years before Iowa's last BCS appearance, and if we're going by BCS wins, that would be in 1998, 11 years further back than theirs.

"But..but..we have more total wins than them over the last decade! Ha!" Yes, we do. However, in order since 2002, they have beaten the #12, #8, #16, #11, #17, #16, #23, #9, #12, #19, #3, #5, #9, #22, #24, #5 and #14 ranked teams in the nation.

Comparatively, Nebraska has beaten, in order since 2002, the #24, #23, #20, #25, #23, #24, #20, #22, #17 and #17 ranked teams in the nation.

As you can see, Iowa is clearly boasting and claiming their greatness on their accomplishments over a decade ago (nevermind that being possibly their worst decade in program history) while we are entirely relevant and only boasting in our recent accomplishments.\

:facepalm:

So my question to those of you voting in favor of Iowa in the first poll: What makes Iowa more worthy of being a "rival" than Northwestern?

I'll admit to the silliness of the poll question, but I did it to show how silly it is to designate Iowa (or Indiana or Minnesota or Northwestern) as a rival.

Cause its right across the friggin river. It just naturally to have rival like Iowa if your Nebraska, they hate us, we hate them. Listen 1620 in afternoon, there is people calling all the time hating on Iowa. They are just like Mizzou, bad mouthing Nebraska and claiming there program is so great based on the very little success they had a dozen years ago. Have they even won a conference championship yet in another sport beside wrestling???

Iowa has won conference championships in 2002 and 2004, finishing 2nd in 2009, and has played in two Orange Bowls (winning one), three Outback Bowls, two Alamo Bowls and one Capital One Bowl in the last decade.

When was the last time we won a conference championship and played in (let alone won) a BCS game again? The answer is 2001, 8 full years before Iowa's last BCS appearance, and if we're going by BCS wins, that would be in 1998, 11 years further back than theirs.

"But..but..we have more total wins than them over the last decade! Ha!" Yes, we do. However, in order since 2002, they have beaten the #12, #8, #16, #11, #17, #16, #23, #9, #12, #19, #3, #5, #9, #22, #24, #5 and #14 ranked teams in the nation.

Comparatively, Nebraska has beaten, in order since 2002, the #24, #23, #20, #25, #23, #24, #20, #22, #17 and #17 ranked teams in the nation.

As you can see, Iowa is clearly boasting and claiming their greatness on their accomplishments over a decade ago (nevermind that being possibly their worst decade in program history) while we are entirely relevant and only boasting in our recent accomplishments.\

A big fail to me. I seriously did not know Iowa had won conference championships.... where the hell was I?????

-1000000 to myself.

A big fail to me. I seriously did not know Iowa had won conference championships.... where the hell was I?????

-1000000 to myself.

Not outright. Both of their championships this decade were ties. Nebraska had to play in conference championship games, Iowa didn't. Last year 5 teams in the big 12 were 6-2, so if not for the championship game all 5 could have claimed that they had won.

Our arguement is kinda blown out of the water when the University calls itself UNL.

We have been referring to ourselves as NU for a loooooooong time. Here's what I found after spending six seconds googling: Countdown to the Big Ten: Q&A with NU Alumni Leader Diane Mendenhall

That said, I totally agree with you that this is a worthless debate. But that was kinda the point of the thread. ;)

Besides, in my nonsense here I did come up with a great couple of catchphrases, which I'm going to trot out again when the Northwestern game comes up and this debate inevitably comes up with NW fans: The Game for the Name, and The Battle of NU. These are copyright knapplc, circa yesterday. I'm gonna be rich, just like Pat Riley with Three-peat.

-1000000 to myself.

Not outright. Both of their championships this decade were ties. Nebraska had to play in conference championship games, Iowa didn't. Last year 5 teams in the big 12 were 6-2, so if not for the championship game all 5 could have claimed that they had won.

Yeah this - it will be interesting for teams like OSU that boast about their XYZ straight conference championships - yet they never had to actually win one in a championship game. Up until 2011, in any given year there could be up to 4 "conference champions" in the Big10 (see 1990). 40% of the conference claims to be the champion? BS. Everyone get's a "participantion patch"? YAY!!! It will be different now that's for sure. Iowa hasn't won it outright since 1985. OSU has only won it outright 3 times in the last 20 years. Since 1990 there is a co-winner almost 50% of the time. No more.

Hah! :laughpound You obviated your own point with Missouri. Proximity doesn't make a rivalry. If it did Iowa State would be a rival, since they're only slightly less successful over the years than Iowa. Same goes for Kansas State, Kansas, Missouri or those fake "rivals" in Colorado.

Here's a tip - every team's fans bad-mouth Nebraska. Just because you folks along the Missouri or in Omaha hear about Iowa more doesn't mean Husker fans in California, Tennessee, Florida, New Jersey or anywhere else care about them. Same goes for most folks who live 20 or more miles from Iowa, who don't interact with Iowegians regularly.

It's just not a rivalry. No more so than it would be for Northwestern.

Ah a breath of fresh air. Iowa means little to me. Beating them is only satisfying because well losing stinks. Now let us topple Ohio State...

Missouri was #6 last year when we beat them... I'm just saying.

Missouri was #6 last year when we beat them... I'm just saying.

Sorry, not sure why that last number was another 17 and not a 6, good catch.