Memorial Stadium

From Omaha.com:

Fox Sports has released a list of its top 15 college football stadiums. Nebraska’s Memorial Stadium isn’t on it.

http://sports.omaha.com/2011/08/23/will-big-ten-help-memorial-stadium-find-a-new-groove/

Can you say butt hurt?! They are just mad we left the Contracting 12 and won't be able to make as much money with their TV contract because of it. Screw em, I REALLY hate FOX sports anyway.

Everyone griping about the "blue-hairs" at the bottom of Sam's article is full of it. I've been going to Husker games for 30 years and I've never been told to "sit down" by someone older than me. This is one of those ridiculous urban legends that people repeat without thinking how utterly ridiculous it is that SO MANY people would be told to sit down, shut up at a game. If everyone griping about the "blue hairs" was telling a true story, Memorial Stadium would be 50% full of geriatrics cases. It's just not reality.

What is reality is that the older the crowd - and our crowd is older than most places - the quieter they're going to be. Why would our crowd be older? Because ticket prices are sky-high. We've had two to three straight generations of sold-out stadiums. You have to donate what, $500? $1,000 just to get your name on the list, and then it's points-based, so you accumulate points over time by donating more. Whose going to be sitting in the better seats with a system like that, the younger, loud crowd or the older, more reserved crowd? Not the young families, or 20-30 year old crowd willing to stand and yell for the whole game, that's for sure.

As long as you continue to sell ONLY season tickets at $350 a pop and higher, and tack on a minimum donation of $500 to that, added to the points system, you're not going to have younger, more energetic crowds going to these games.

This is the two-edged sword of having a program that's this successful over the long term. You end up with an older fan base and a quieter stadium.

Everyone griping about the "blue-hairs" at the bottom of Sam's article is full of it. I've been going to Husker games for 30 years and I've never been told to "sit down" by someone older than me. This is one of those ridiculous urban legends that people repeat without thinking how utterly ridiculous it is that SO MANY people would be told to sit down, shut up at a game. If everyone griping about the "blue hairs" was telling a true story, Memorial Stadium would be 50% full of geriatrics cases. It's just not reality.

What is reality is that the older the crowd - and our crowd is older than most places - the quieter they're going to be. Why would our crowd be older? Because ticket prices are sky-high. We've had two to three straight generations of sold-out stadiums. You have to donate what, $500? $1,000 just to get your name on the list, and then it's points-based, so you accumulate points over time by donating more. Whose going to be sitting in the better seats with a system like that, the younger, loud crowd or the older, more reserved crowd? Not the young families, or 20-30 year old crowd willing to stand and yell for the whole game, that's for sure.

As long as you continue to sell ONLY season tickets at $350 a pop and higher, and tack on a minimum donation of $500 to that, added to the points system, you're not going to have younger, more energetic crowds going to these games.

This is the two-edged sword of having a program that's this successful over the long term. You end up with an older fan base and a quieter stadium.

Very first Husker game I went to, had an old man grab my 13-year old cousin and force him down into his seat because he cheered when we scored a touchdown. That was back in 1992 vs Arizona State.

I'm not saying it happens ALL the time, but it does happen. I've seen it happen other times throughout the years, not to me, but some other people around me.

Very first Husker game I went to, had an old man grab my 13-year old cousin and force him down into his seat because he cheered when we scored a touchdown. That was back in 1992 vs Arizona State.

I'm not saying it happens ALL the time, but it does happen. I've seen it happen other times throughout the years, not to me, but some other people around me.

I went to a game last year where a man in his 30s got into a pissing match with an older gentleman because the older man told him to sit down. I'm sure some parts of the stadium are better than others, but this is something I've witnesses a lot.

I've been going to games at Memorial Stadium for over 20 years, and I've not only never had this happen to me (and I stand pretty much the whole game), but I've never seen it happen. And for about 12 years of that time I sat in row 5, North stadium.

I'm sure it's happened several times, probably several times a game. But for as much griping about the "blue hairs" as you see, you would think it happens all the time, everywhere, at every game. I'm saying it's more urban legend than frequent occurrence.

Fox Sports isn't the place I go to for ANY sports coverage. In fact, I don't even think about it when I'm perusing for sports information. ESPN, yahoo sports and CBSsports are the only real national sites I consider for broad spectrum sports coverage.

My dislike for Fox is further compounded by the fact that every time I turn on 1620 The Zone, the sports shows make my ears bleed. If ESPN hadn't been put back in Omaha on 590 I probably would have stopped listening to sports radio - it's that bad.

As for this 'list', I've never been to another college football stadium, so I can't speak from experience. However I have seen several opposing fans (especially Missouri and Colorado fans) say our stadium is cramped, doesn't fit people well, etc. etc. I don't know what kind of check-list Fox used for this list they made, because frankly I don't want to hit the link and give them a site hit. But from an ambiance and tradition stand point it's definitely a top 15 or even top 10 candidate and that should be a fact.

I've been going to games at Memorial Stadium for over 20 years, and I've not only never had this happen to me (and I stand pretty much the whole game), but I've never seen it happen. And for about 12 years of that time I sat in row 5, North stadium.

I'm sure it's happened several times, probably several times a game. But for as much griping about the "blue hairs" as you see, you would think it happens all the time, everywhere, at every game. I'm saying it's more urban legend than frequent occurrence.

You must look like a convict or something. I've been going to games for only about 10 years and I've been told to sit down around 5 to 10 times I'd say. And for about 5 of those years I only went to one a season. Last year I was told at the big 12 championship to sit down. The only game which I wasn't in the student section besides when I went to kstate.

Then you need to move up 18 rows because that's where my seats are and I've witnessed it not less than a dozen times in the last 5 years. Since the remodel it hasn't been as big an issue but that's because many of the old couples that sat around me didn't renew when they asked for a larger donation. That and they've been dieing off.

You won't hear it alot at the non-con piddly games or blowout games because alot of people sitting. However, I sit in row 7, North stadium and I hear it during all the big games. I will guarantee you I will hear it more than once at the Ohio St. game because people will be going crazy for that game and will want to stand up, and of course people behind them will just be too lazy to stand so here it will come, "Down in front, sit down so we can all watch the game." It happens, I've heard it often, especially in big games when you see alot of younger people in the lower rows in the north.

I am curious, has the guy that wrote that piece ever been to another stadium? Asking if any other major college football program has more than five tv screens in their stadium. I can't tell if he is being sarcastic with that or attempting to make a point, if its the latter, that has to be one of the more ridiculous statements. Don't want to bust his chops too bad, but that made me chuckle. Perhaps I read it incorrectly.