Memorial Stadium

I've only witnessed confrontations between huskerfans at away games. I went to kansas in 2009 and a group of older ladies wouldn't shut up about everyone in front of them standing. Also some 30 something woman got called out for being a bitch and tried to start a fight with THE ENTIRE SECTION....good game though.

Very first Husker game I went to, had an old man grab my 13-year old cousin and force him down into his seat because he cheered when we scored a touchdown. That was back in 1992 vs Arizona State.

I'm not saying it happens ALL the time, but it does happen. I've seen it happen other times throughout the years, not to me, but some other people around me.

I've been going to games at Memorial Stadium for over 20 years, and I've not only never had this happen to me (and I stand pretty much the whole game), but I've never seen it happen. And for about 12 years of that time I sat in row 5, North stadium.

I'm sure it's happened several times, probably several times a game. But for as much griping about the "blue hairs" as you see, you would think it happens all the time, everywhere, at every game. I'm saying it's more urban legend than frequent occurrence.

Then you need to move up 18 rows because that's where my seats are and I've witnessed it not less than a dozen times in the last 5 years. Since the remodel it hasn't been as big an issue but that's because many of the old couples that sat around me didn't renew when they asked for a larger donation. That and they've been dieing off.

Lies! I have never seen you at a game!

I have gone to maybe 15 games the past 8 years or so. More during the Pelini than they Callahan era. Mizzou '08 rings a bell for me....... Being loud from basically the moment I walked into the stadium. An older guy which was a husker fan sitting next to me about late 40s maybe early 50s, told me "tone it down" because he cant HEAR THE GAME ON THE RADIO. I happily replied, "If you cant hear the game take off the headset or turn it up or go to the parking lot, because its gonna be loud the entire freakin game, so deal with it.... Its freakin Mizzou #4 team in the land and I freakin hate Pinkel and Chase Daniel." Which started another fire storm with the couple infront of us, one a mizzou, one wearing a husker shirt although she cheered every time a shot was taken at Ganz's helmet. She basically went on about how I dont have respect for the other team and that "We are Nebraska and we should be welcoming the visiting team." Which I replied to the Mizzou guy, "So what was Pinkel thinking with that fake FG last year being up 27-6 and people wonder why they hate Mizzou." They both threaten to call security on me. Funny all 3 of them left at halftime. It was by far the worst husker experience I have ever endured, although several by standers said they would have my back if security came.

I know that season tickets are expensive but it is super easy to get tickets for every game. Not even expensive ones, I get them offered to me all the time, not to mention if you work in Omaha or Lincoln, it seems like people at companies are always selling them or giving them away.

So, its not like you have to be a rich old person to get tickets.

I think that NU really has the AD to blame for this. The pre-game partying is getting better but it is still a far cry from where it could be.

God, The Grove at Ole Miss is amazing

The Grove

Everyone griping about the "blue-hairs" at the bottom of Sam's article is full of it. I've been going to Husker games for 30 years and I've never been told to "sit down" by someone older than me. This is one of those ridiculous urban legends that people repeat without thinking how utterly ridiculous it is that SO MANY people would be told to sit down, shut up at a game. If everyone griping about the "blue hairs" was telling a true story, Memorial Stadium would be 50% full of geriatrics cases. It's just not reality.

What is reality is that the older the crowd - and our crowd is older than most places - the quieter they're going to be. Why would our crowd be older? Because ticket prices are sky-high. We've had two to three straight generations of sold-out stadiums. You have to donate what, $500? $1,000 just to get your name on the list, and then it's points-based, so you accumulate points over time by donating more. Whose going to be sitting in the better seats with a system like that, the younger, loud crowd or the older, more reserved crowd? Not the young families, or 20-30 year old crowd willing to stand and yell for the whole game, that's for sure.

As long as you continue to sell ONLY season tickets at $350 a pop and higher, and tack on a minimum donation of $500 to that, added to the points system, you're not going to have younger, more energetic crowds going to these games.

This is the two-edged sword of having a program that's this successful over the long term. You end up with an older fan base and a quieter stadium.

You are in the minority then, or maybe they just target the young. I've been in the stadium in an assortment of friends parents season tickets to 50 yard line corporate seats and I've been told to sit down by elderly probably 60% of the time... Even in close Callahan era should have been gimme games. The one time I wasn't that I remember I was sitting in my sisters lap almost the entire first half because the two middle aged ladies next to us had about 3x their ass allotment of the bleachers. I left at halftime that game.

But yeah money is the driving force, and it isn't a bad thing for anything but gameday atmosphere.

Well I think that's probably anecdotal evidence enough to prove we didn't all dream it at least.

Edit: and you want to know what is worse, as a Nebraskan I respect my elders, so you know what I did. I sat down and shut the hell up like I was asked, resentfully but I still did it, every time making the stadium one person quieter.

Well I think that's probably anecdotal evidence enough to prove we didn't all dream it at least.

Edit: and you want to know what is worse, as a Nebraskan I respect my elders, so you know what I did. I sat down and shut the hell up like I was asked, resentfully but I still did it, every time making the stadium one person quieter.

I've said it on here before and I'll say it again, I will only sit in the student section when I go to Memorial Stadium and when I'm no longer able to handle it, I'll quit going.

Reason: I've sat outside the student section about 7-8 times. Most times I've sat directly in front of that middle aisle rail so I had no one behind me. 1 time I sat in upper North Stadium with my father and was extremely uncomfortable cause we had blue hairs on either side using stadium chairs condensing our 2 seats into the space of about 1 seat. Twice I sat in South, the second time I sat there I had a lady behind me politely ask me to remain seated at least until the play was over, I obliged but found it hard to enjoy the game. After hearing everyone else's stories, I decided once was enough, I'll forever sit in the Student section.

P.S. - I also have a tendancy to get a bit, ahem, vocal... and never felt comfortable about it when outside of student seating. And don't get me started on people complaining about students not being mindful of them and their children in the student section... that's no place for kids, sorry.

I've only been to five games, but I've been told or witnessed someone being told to sit down at all but one, and that one was when my wife and I were sitting in front of a column so there was nobody behind us. Heck, the last game I was at, my brother was in front of me standing, and I sarcastically yelled in his ear "down in front", then the people behind me tapped me on the shoulder and said "thank you". Funny, but then they yelled at me to sit down later.

It is not even so much that people are yelling at you to sit down, its more like that look they give you. Or of course when they see a person they don't recognize in "their" section, they almost have that "talk" before the game, where they try to blame it on other people.

"Better watch out here, not a lot of standers in this section, just letting you know, I would hate to see you get yelled at"

It's clear to me that I'm the only nice guy on HuskerBoard. :rolleyes:

I don't know how to explain it. How can I go to so many games and not ever see this, and everyone else has not only seen it, but has had it happen to them? I cheer, I yell, I stand, and while I am a big dude, I am not intimidating in the least. I don't look like a hitman or a biker dude or anything, so it's not like people are too scared to tell me to sit down - or shouldn't be.

Those of you who are getting yelled at - is this every game? What are you shouting/doing/ when you're told to sit down/shut up?

Yes, this Knapplc has apparently been surrounded by some very good patrons. I've been to 8 or 9 Husker games my entire life. I believe at atleast 6 of those I have heard someone complaining about all the standing. I have personally heard about it from the elderly individuals behind me at 2 games. I am always a polite as I can be about it, but damnit I just reflex when we score. I'm up most all of the game when all those around me are standing. I've also been surprised at how quiet that stadium can be at times. The last three years I have been to atleast one game a year and it can be quieter in that stadium at times than it is in the house with my two little ones running around.

I do want to note that at one particular game, there was an elder beside me at about 75 years of age or so I would bet. Me standing six foot three beside here very small frame, she caught my elbow on her way to standing at two different times during the game. As we both jumped up at exciting moments of the game, here shoulder caught the point of my elbow. I felt terrible about it and thought maybe I had hurt her, but she was so damn polite and was having such a good time with her husband. We exchanged off and on chat during the game. I thought that was worth mentioning.