Sporting News names 1971 Nebraska greatest CFB team of all time

Nexus

All year Sporting News is celebrating its 125th anniversary with a series of debates about the greatest teams and athletes. This month our panelists have named the 1971 Nebraska Cornhuskers as the greatest college football team of all time. Come back to SportingNews.com on Sept. 8 to see the top 10, and you can vote in our fan bracket starting Sept. 12.

Continue Reading

Huskers.com article in post #11 below.

it's tough to compare, since they are separated by about a quarter century. Times were different that allowed the 95 team to have better facilities, training methods, nutrition, etc. You give the '71 team those things and then let them square off and it would be a hell of a game! I would have loved to see Larry Jacobsen, Rich Glover and Willie Harper after an off season weight program like they had in '95! Plus, the '71 team beat the #2, #3 and #4 teams that year. When was the last time you heard of that happening?

bottom line - love both teams and I think it would be a pick 'em game

All year Sporting News is celebrating its 125th anniversary with a series of debates about the greatest teams and athletes. This month our panelists have named the 1971 Nebraska Cornhuskers as the greatest college football team of all time. Come back to SportingNews.com on Sept. 8 to see the top 10, and you can vote in our fan bracket starting Sept. 12.

Continue Reading

I told you all that they were!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having been around for both, I probably would give the nod to the 71 Huskers because they beat(final season rankings):

#2 Oklahoma by 4 points

#3 Colorado by 24 points

#4 Alabama by 32 points

I saw them both and totally agree. Richie Glover would have sent Tommie Frazier running back home crying to his mama.:)

Having been around for both, I probably would give the nod to the 71 Huskers because they beat(final season rankings):

#2 Oklahoma by 4 points

#3 Colorado by 24 points

#4 Alabama by 32 points

In comparison, the '95 Huskers beat...

1) #8 Kansas State by 24 points

2) #7 Colorado by 23 points

3) #10 Kansas by 38 points

4) #2 Florida by 38 points

Both teams were excellent and definitely deserve respect for their performances. However, having not been alive in 1971, the '95 Huskers is the team I grew up and saw. I tend to lean towards them. Furthermore, after all of the negativity and off-the-field issues the '95 team endured, I also lend myself to be attached to them more. To me, the '95 Huskers is the greatest Nebraska team, and football team, of all time.

Nebraska football fans will be hunting for copies of next week's issue of Sporting News The Magazine because it features a cover photo of someone you'll recognize. He's wearing his fabled No. 20 jersey and an old-fashioned facemask. Yes, this cover shows Johnny Rodgers being greeted by Paul Schneider, Nebraska's late trainer, with a bear hug after "The Jet" returned to the sidelines following another electrifying touchdown.

Continue Reading

Don't really have an opinion on the 1995 vs 1971 debate but wanted to point out that Jeff Sagarin compiled an all-time ratings list which ranked 1995 #1 and 1971 #2. Other Husker teams making the list: 1972 #11, 1997 #20, 1970 #27.

I'd like to look at that list by Sagarin, but I can't find a link. Know where I can find it?

PS - welcome back. Hope Eire wasn't too hard on you this year. ;)

71 Huskers had 4 all americans

7 1st team big 8 players

Heisman winners

Outland trophy winners

Lombardi winners

The way I look at is when you try to measure 'greatest ever', your not trying to project who would win between the two, I think you are trying to measure their greatest in that particular era. I think the '71 Huskers had the largest greatness. They played THE GAME of the Century. They had all sorts of star power. They have a signature play and a signature drive to win the game with a late score. Often your adversary defines how great you are ('Unbreakable'). Oklahoma had a GREAT team and deserved it's own greatness. 95 team was great but Florida was anti climatic. There were no games that really defined the 95 Huskers. The signature play from that game was in the 3rd quarter and Florida had given up. Can't remember much else from that game. I remember more plays from the 71 game!

I also recognize that whatever era you were raised in is most likely the era which will have your greatest team ever. It's all a matter of perspecitve

Don't really have an opinion on the 1995 vs 1971 debate but wanted to point out that Jeff Sagarin compiled an all-time ratings list which ranked 1995 #1 and 1971 #2. Other Husker teams making the list: 1972 #11, 1997 #20, 1970 #27.

I'd like to look at that list by Sagarin, but I can't find a link. Know where I can find it?

PS - welcome back. Hope Eire wasn't too hard on you this year. ;)

Thanks, knapplc. Great time as always.

I have a pdf copy of the Sagarin rating that was e-mailed to me awhile back from a friend of mine. I did a quick search online to find the actual source and this appears to be where it came from? Sagarin