What did we learn???

walksalone

Among things mentioned here, I also learned...

We need to involve our play-makers more, or at least find ways to get them the ball. Martinez is fast - yes. But those kinds of runs are not going to work against stiffer competition. Some of this has to do with our offensive line not providing much of a push today on a consistent basis, and some of it also has to do with Martinez. Even on some of the designed runs Martinez broke today, the blocking was not very good and was purely masked by Martinez' athleticism. Furthermore, Martinez still has some of the poor passing tendencies he showcased last year.

I was just disappointed that today turned into another Martinez showcase, and that he had to run the ball 19 times in order to give us a victory. I think if we can shore up our deficiencies on the offensive line, however, a lot of these problems will take care of themselves.

agree, the TM show won't work all season, opponents don't get any easier, the freshman backs should have gotten more time...Turner needs to be in the game, he is a game breaker on any play,same for Abdullah.

Beck needs to mix up some of the play calling and soon.

Beck needs to diversify his play calling, and get Bell, Turner, and the 3 young RBs more involved.

lol

People do realize that this was the first game, and that we were pretty vanilla, right? I mean, did we even run a playaction pass all day?

We were vanilla, but weren't really successful being vanilla. With a new offense, I would hope the staff would be more willing to break it in. We should not be breaking in a new offense against stiff competition. Let people know what you have and make them stop it.

We don't need to hide anything, we need to practice executing what we have.

Beck needs to diversify his play calling, and get Bell, Turner, and the 3 young RBs more involved.

lol

People do realize that this was the first game, and that we were pretty vanilla, right? I mean, did we even run a playaction pass all day?

Every year it seems we wonder if we're purposefully being vanilla or holding things back, and while it can be true to some extent, usually we don't see that much more going forward. I think what we saw on offense today is what we've got. The only things I really see changing in the future are execution and tempo. Until we see someone else emerge as a secondary playmaker I'm not going to assume we have one that we are just secretly hiding. JMHO.

I am willing to bet that Martinez is not our QB at the end the year. I know Carnes looked like the true Freshman he is, but TMart's passing is never going to get any better.

As crappy as TMart looked with his passing, I seriously doubt Carnes is going to take the starting job from him.

• Fire 1

The oline didn't have the push I wanted to see. Hope it's just being so young and they'll come around. We need to catch the ball better, Tmart needs to throw better, but the Oline is the biggie.

Thd upside is that Turner is electrifying with the ball. Just love that kid. Tmart is back and a true weapon with his feet. The defense will rock again. For me best of all was Beck. 3rd & two...he repeatably ran the ball for a 1st down. Just bloody LOVED that.

I think we'll be ok.

GBR!!

Exactly this from my point of view. Also they (the o-line) looked like they weren't holding blocks long enough. Backs shouldn't be gang tackled in the backfield. That's something that happens when one guy makes great play, not 5 guys at the same time.

Also I think the defense needs to get a little better at stuffing the run... especially for Wisconsin who really would be like old-school late 80s Nebraska if they couldn't run power.