The Cornhusker Marching Band should be more like this...

Hercules

That "chick" is in the OU squad. The way I hear is either a girl died or major injury after a stunt when we did have the male cheerleaders and they automatically stopped it.

I know "she" is. But when someone said that male cheerleaders are useless at DoNU, they completely overlooked the option to dress them in drag, as OU has done.

And here are some of the articles I was able to find regarding the cheerleading accidents that caused our program to shut down. I don't believe anyone died, but there were multi-million dollar lawsuits flying around...which for as fiscally tight a place as DoNU, could easily be the death knell for an instituition.

http://peninsulaclar...po0040001.shtml

It also appears that Nebraska is pretty much cutting cheerleading down to a voluntary (read: non-competitve) thing.

http://journalstar.c...c6bfc1648f.html

Of Note:

Stunting at NU has been an issue since 1996, when then-student Tracy Jensen was paralyzed in an accident during cheer practice. The university paid Jensen a $2.1 million settlement.

In 2002, NU did away with most stunting, including basket tosses, pyramids and tumbling. One year later, though, new Athletic Director Steve Pederson brought back two-person lifts, and cheerleaders had hoped he would further ease restrictions if they followed all safety regulations, Spirit Squad member Heather Ludwick said.

So I guess it was on for a while, and now (as of 2007) it's off, along with scholarships and competition for cheerleaders?

I don't know why but this makes my blood boil. We limit them, but allow hard hitting in football and have gymnastics that jump all over the place. What is the difference? The last few years I have been disappointed in watching the cheers. Now I will be even more.

I don't know why but this makes my blood boil. We limit them, but allow hard hitting in football and have gymnastics that jump all over the place. What is the difference? The last few years I have been disappointed in watching the cheers. Now I will be even more.

The reason the cheerleaders have limits is because a multi-million dollar lawsuit was made to the university. Cheerleading isn't exactly something UNL is going to risk millions of dollars over.