My Husker heaven... (vs. Mizzou)

Doubtless there will be all manner of predictions made on the upcoming game between our Huskers and the Missouri Tigers; some based on tradition others based on trends, statistics, and more in-depth intuitive prognostications. But I prefer to look at things in a more… unconventional light. A light that is not necessarily grounded in logical progressions or rational thought, just based purely on the emotional power my Huskers have over me. They are my heroes, my knights in shining armor that wage war every year against those who wish to cloud the valorous Nebraska legacy. And while they’re reign over this mythical world of mine is sublime, allow me to give you a glimpse of my Husker heaven and our next game…

When two teams have such a history as the Huskers have with the Tigers and they meet head-to-head on the battlefield, you can throw out the statistics for they are meaningless. The Tigers will mobilize their whole force for this game as all the other teams who play Nebraska have done and will continue to do. There is a very simple reason for this and this reason hasn’t changed for the last 40 years. To defeat the Huskers is to claim a banner that can be held high for the rest of the year, a pennant displaying to the rest of the world the power you wield; the barbarian horde capturing the Roman fascis. The teams yet to come on the Nebraska schedule face the prospect with a great deal of ambivalence though. They cannot wait to claim the banner, yet they hesitate when it comes to entering the field and attempting the deed. That hesitation, that slight moment of doubt that is born in the opposition as they watch the mighty Red & White Army line up against them, that is where the victory lies. Our foes realize they have been beaten as they take the field, such is OUR power. Just as the warriors of old defeated forces that may have seemed unconquerable, so too do our Huskers; and just as those heroes emitted an aura of invincibility, so does an air of absolute inviolateness radiate from our team and turns the knees of the enemy to water. Thus far our heroes have vanquished two ferocious bear dens, a troop of possessed churchmen, a lethal pack of panthers, and raging cyclones. The next casualty of our hunt will be the savage Tigers. Fierce creatures you must be wary of, lest they spring and catch you unawares. But we will take the trophy in the end, for we won before the game started. And how could a plain farmer in overalls accomplish all this? Because the farmer is the epitome of the indefatigable. He can be bent by the forces of nature and not break; he can be hunted by the savage beast and not run. He is the earth itself, rooted deep in the rock-solid soil of the Nation and secure from within knowing he is unconquerable. The mighty Red Army will roll my friends, elemental in its strength and utterly implacable in its determination. Woe to those who seek to check them or keep them from their destiny! Woe to the conquered!!

GO BIG RED!!

You brought historian in me out with your verse. Very nice, almost poetic if I may say so. It brings to mind the imagery from antiquity. A mosaic. One of the finest mosaics discovered in recent years at Palmyra, the great oasis city in the desert, halfway between the Mediterranean and the Euphrates. The mosaic is of a mystical archer (a warrior), with his winged accomplice flying out of the heavens, slaying fierce tigers. I swear, if you look hard and long enough, you can make out a very faint N on the side of the warriors helmet.

Tiger-hunt-final.jpg

Doubtless there will be all manner of predictions made on the upcoming game between our Huskers and the Missouri Tigers; some based on tradition others based on trends, statistics, and more in-depth intuitive prognostications. But I prefer to look at things in a more… unconventional light. A light that is not necessarily grounded in logical progressions or rational thought, just based purely on the emotional power my Huskers have over me. They are my heroes, my knights in shining armor that wage war every year against those who wish to cloud the valorous Nebraska legacy. And while they’re reign over this mythical world of mine is sublime, allow me to give you a glimpse of my Husker heaven and our next game…

When two teams have such a history as the Huskers have with the Tigers and they meet head-to-head on the battlefield, you can throw out the statistics for they are meaningless. The Tigers will mobilize their whole force for this game as all the other teams who play Nebraska have done and will continue to do. There is a very simple reason for this and this reason hasn’t changed for the last 40 years. To defeat the Huskers is to claim a banner that can be held high for the rest of the year, a pennant displaying to the rest of the world the power you wield; the barbarian horde capturing the Roman fascis. The teams yet to come on the Nebraska schedule face the prospect with a great deal of ambivalence though. They cannot wait to claim the banner, yet they hesitate when it comes to entering the field and attempting the deed. That hesitation, that slight moment of doubt that is born in the opposition as they watch the mighty Red & White Army line up against them, that is where the victory lies. Our foes realize they have been beaten as they take the field, such is OUR power. Just as the warriors of old defeated forces that may have seemed unconquerable, so too do our Huskers; and just as those heroes emitted an aura of invincibility, so does an air of absolute inviolateness radiate from our team and turns the knees of the enemy to water. Thus far our heroes have vanquished two ferocious bear dens, a troop of possessed churchmen, a lethal pack of panthers, and raging cyclones. The next casualty of our hunt will be the savage Tigers. Fierce creatures you must be wary of, lest they spring and catch you unawares. But we will take the trophy in the end, for we won before the game started. And how could a plain farmer in overalls accomplish all this? Because the farmer is the epitome of the indefatigable. He can be bent by the forces of nature and not break; he can be hunted by the savage beast and not run. He is the earth itself, rooted deep in the rock-solid soil of the Nation and secure from within knowing he is unconquerable. The mighty Red Army will roll my friends, elemental in its strength and utterly implacable in its determination. Woe to those who seek to check them or keep them from their destiny! Woe to the conquered!!

GO BIG RED!!

I am smelling a Humanities Professor here! ;):lol:

Doubtless there will be all manner of predictions made on the upcoming game between our Huskers and the Missouri Tigers; some based on tradition others based on trends, statistics, and more in-depth intuitive prognostications.  But I prefer to look at things in a more… unconventional light.  A light that is not necessarily grounded in logical progressions or rational thought, just based purely on the emotional power my Huskers have over me.  They are my heroes, my knights in shining armor that wage war every year against those who wish to cloud the valorous Nebraska legacy.  And while they’re reign over this mythical world of mine is sublime, allow me to give you a glimpse of my Husker heaven and our next game…

When two teams have such a history as the Huskers have with the Tigers and they meet head-to-head on the battlefield, you can throw out the statistics for they are meaningless.  The Tigers will mobilize their whole force for this game as all the other teams who play Nebraska have done and will continue to do.  There is a very simple reason for this and this reason hasn’t changed for the last 40 years.  To defeat the Huskers is to claim a banner that can be held high for the rest of the year, a pennant displaying to the rest of the world the power you wield; the barbarian horde capturing the Roman fascis.  The teams yet to come on the Nebraska schedule face the prospect with a great deal of ambivalence though.  They cannot wait to claim the banner, yet they hesitate when it comes to entering the field and attempting the deed.  That hesitation, that slight moment of doubt that is born in the opposition as they watch the mighty Red & White Army line up against them, that is where the victory lies.  Our foes realize they have been beaten as they take the field, such is OUR power.  Just as the warriors of old defeated forces that may have seemed unconquerable, so too do our Huskers; and just as those heroes emitted an aura of invincibility, so does an air of absolute inviolateness radiate from our team and turns the knees of the enemy to water.  Thus far our heroes have vanquished two ferocious bear dens, a troop of possessed churchmen, a lethal pack of panthers, and raging cyclones.  The next casualty of our hunt will be the savage Tigers.  Fierce creatures you must be wary of, lest they spring and catch you unawares.  But we will take the trophy in the end, for we won before the game started.  And how could a plain farmer in overalls accomplish all this?  Because the farmer is the epitome of the indefatigable.  He can be bent by the forces of nature and not break; he can be hunted by the savage beast and not run.  He is the earth itself, rooted deep in the rock-solid soil of the Nation and secure from within knowing he is unconquerable.  The mighty Red Army will roll my friends, elemental in its strength and utterly implacable in its determination.  Woe to those who seek to check them or keep them from their destiny!  Woe to the conquered!!

GO BIG RED!!

I am smelling a Humanities Professor here! ;):lol:

Or possibly a one of the record 80 first team Academic All-Americans that have come out of the football program, or one of the 222 Academic All-Americans to come out of UNL athletics.