What did we learn???

walksalone

Since he is the QB, I'm going to start with Taylor. Major props to him for gutting this game out and finding a way to win. Was it pretty? No. But he showed some guts and found a way.

With that said, somewhere between now and Wisconsin this kid is going to need to develop some sort of passing ability and limit his turnovers. Those rain drop passes he completed tonight are not always going to work. And until the 2nd half, they weren't working tonight either. Thankfully the WRs made some good plays on these passes and we got through it. But can anyone honestly tell me they think this type of passing will work against a Wisconsin or Ohio State?

Also, how hard is it for Taylor to limit turnovers? The INT was literally a pass most high school QBs would not even throw. But the fumbles are completely inexcusable to carry the ball like that.

Still, I'm glad the kid found a way to win it, but he still has ALOT to work on.

-

Enunwa and Turner look like studs. Point blank, we have to find a way to get both of these guys the ball, especially Jamal. Whether it's on reverses for Jamal, screens, or whatever, you gotta get that kid the ball. Enunwa just looks like an animal, and it's finally starting to click for him.

Kenny Bell also had an amazing catch. Not for the fact anything was that great, but merely for the fact a young WR tracked the ball over his shoulder the way he did. I cannot remember the last time a WR did that so well for us.

-

Offensive line. LOL

The whole interior line should be shuffled. If the coaches had any guts, they would have shuffled it at halftime instead of letting it stay the way it is. Letting teams like UTC and Fresno beat us that badly at the point is pathetic.

I know Caputo isn't going to get benched save for injury, but at the very least Rodriguez needs to be bench. Two games in a row he has been downright pathetic. I would at least attempt to get Jake Cotton some work over there to see what he can do.

-

Defensive line was taken out of the game tonight. Whether it was by themselves in the run game, or Fresno moving the pocket in the passing game, they were completely neutralized.

Tonight, again, Crick was quiet. I said last week, even with his stat line, he was too often getting completely washed out of plays. Tonight, the same thing happened way too easily. Just simply block down on Crick, and the guy will much too often take himself out of the play. Pathetic performance by Crick.

Pathetic performance from our entire defensive line, really.

These guys need a reality check before Montee Ball and James White give them one.

-

Thought our LBs were a bit better against the run tonight. Still would like to see more of Roach over Fisher. Roach just seemed much more athletic and active than Fisher. Fish just still seems a step slow and behind.

-

Please get Fonzie back, ASAP.

I not only want Fonzie back because the kid is incredible, but more for the fact it may finally convince these coaches to KEEP BLATCHFORD AND THORELL OFF THE DAMN FIELD.

I still do not understand how many times Thorell can look bad for this team, but still keep getting chances.

What is even more strange is how much I heard during fall camp that Dijon and Antonio were looking very good at CB, and were even challenging Green for that #2 CB position. Now those same guys cannot even sniff the field while Blatchford and Thorell look lost in coverage? It makes ZERO sense to me.

Hopefully Fonzie comes back soon, and Green can slide over to the nickel/PESO in our defense where I think he is much more suited.

I do wonder why PJ Smith didn't get more burn at safety tonight. IMO, he and Stafford should be our safeties. But even with his lack of playmaking abilities, lack of range, lack of athleticism, etc., the coaches still play Cassidy because he knows the defense so well? Does not make sense. I want playmakers on the field, not a playbook nerd.

-

Abdullah had been so close so many times already this year, and he finally got him one. Kid is the truth, and the hype was legit. By the time Ameer is done, he is going to make alot of the SEC schools regret overlooking him.

-

And yes, I know it's sad that even in a win I can find this many negatives. But outside of Enunwa, Turner and Abdullah, I don't know that I can take away many positives from this game. One of the ugliest wins we've had in a while.

• Fire 2

1. Throw some quick slants. Taylor could have had those all night, and those should be easy throws to make. They don't take long to develop, and then you can get Turner, Bell and Enunwa in some space and at speed.

2. No more Blatchford....which would probably help stop those big gains via rollouts.

3. Kinnie is allergic to the football

4. LBs except David aren't too good.

We played a very well coached, over achieveing team. They have done this to many top programs. Pat Hill has them ready to play and they never think they are going to lose. Most of the kids were passed over by major Pac 12 schools. They have a chip on their shoulders.

I agree we have a lot of work and Polk scares the hell out of me next week.

Pat Hill just gets so much out of his kids in games like this. Truly amazing, and most will understand the results, as they have taken Wisconsin to the limit twice and beaten Illinois twice recently.

All is not lost by any means.

I agree. Fresno State, on this night, would have beaten most B1G 10 teams. Probably not Whisky, tOSU, or Mich. State. PSU and Iowa might be a toss-up.

Here's a memory for you... In 1994, we led a middle of the WAC Wyoming team only 35-32 with about 5 minutes left in the game. Granted, Berringer played on a one lung, but still...

I liked the improvement and adjustments in the second half. Pelini can coach, folks. This team should improve over the season.

That Quincy Enunwa could probably play dime. That was a sweet hit on the INT return.

That we can jam it up the middle against a stacked box if we really want to. That we need to do that more, and give Heard and Green the ball as well.

That we're a young team that needs lots of reps in practice.

That Quincy Enunwa could probably play dime. That was a sweet hit on the INT return.

That we can jam it up the middle against a stacked box if we really want to. That we need to do that more, and give Heard and Green the ball as well.

That we're a young team that needs lots of reps in practice.

I'd like to see Green and Heard more also.

If Wisconsin is #8 the way they are handling business, we are NOT #10.

Oh my gosh...if someone else says how good Wisconsin is I am going to puke. Who have they played? UNLV or Oregon St who lost to Sacramento St last week. Please, stop giving them so much props when they haven't played anyone yet. Thank you. As far as tonight, it was a trap game and we came out on top against a very determined, well coached team. Keep the faith, there still is not a game on our schedule that we can not win.

1. Throw some quick slants. Taylor could have had those all night, and those should be easy throws to make. They don't take long to develop, and then you can get Turner, Bell and Enunwa in some space and at speed.

We have come full circle on yet another non-sensical demand for a certain playcall. Remember in the Big12 CCG when it was like "dammit, don't throw quick slants!" ?

I would like to see them return, maybe, but Taylor's propensity for throwing behind the receiver has me a little worried.

Oh my gosh...if someone else says how good Wisconsin is I am going to puke. Who have they played? UNLV or Oregon St who lost to Sacramento St last week. Please, stop giving them so much props when they haven't played anyone yet. Thank you. As far as tonight, it was a trap game and we came out on top against a very determined, well coached team. Keep the faith, there still is not a game on our schedule that we can not win.

Plus we faced a future NFL QB in Carr, who played ahead of his years. Very impressive performance, I really think he'll be one of the more well rounded QBs we'll see all year. He could probably start for most of the schools in the Big Ten.

We played a very well coached, over achieveing team. They have done this to many top programs. Pat Hill has them ready to play and they never think they are going to lose. Most of the kids were passed over by major Pac 12 schools. They have a chip on their shoulders.

I agree we have a lot of work and Polk scares the hell out of me next week.

Pat Hill just gets so much out of his kids in games like this. Truly amazing, and most will understand the results, as they have taken Wisconsin to the limit twice and beaten Illinois twice recently.

All is not lost by any means.

I agree. Fresno State, on this night, would have beaten most B1G 10 teams. Probably not Whisky, tOSU, or Mich. State. PSU and Iowa might be a toss-up.

Here's a memory for you... In 1994, we led a middle of the WAC Wyoming team only 35-32 with about 5 minutes left in the game. Granted, Berringer played on a one lung, but still...

I liked the improvement and adjustments in the second half. Pelini can coach, folks. This team should improve over the season.

This. And that defense was as legendary as it gets. That game was the one slip up for them that year.

We have come full circle on yet another non-sensical demand for a certain playcall. Remember in the Big12 CCG when it was like "dammit, don't throw quick slants!" ?

I would like to see them return, maybe, but Taylor's propensity for throwing behind the receiver has me a little worried.

Taylor has yet to prove he can be consistently accurate on those slants, and on quick outs. I don't know if he is rushing them, or if he just has a more difficult time throwing to that part of the field.

I like Taylor's accuracy throwing over the middle of the field. His throw to Cotton early in the game was a beauty, and he had several of those throws against UTC as well. His deep throws aren't pretty (or maybe they're too pretty... so much air), but they got the job done tonight. Those are up to the wide receivers to make a play on the ball, and especially Jamal Turner and Kenny Bell did their job well tonight.

Hopefully the success of our vertical passing game tonight will force Washington to respect that a little more, which will finally open up some running lanes for Burkhead. Otherwise, we're going to have to keep throwing bombs until people respect us.

Keep living in fantasy land where Nebraska is better than Wisconsin.

well, we can for at least three more weeks.

You realize, if your team beats ours next week, we are going to be very, very annoyed! :lol: