Crick

huskers1

Crick was close to a couple sacks/tfl's missing them by just a hair. The entire line looked bad, not just him. Rolling out the qb doesn't lead to DTs getting sacks. And I'm not calling you a liar, but I don't ever remember hearing the tv say "Crick just got pushed to the ground." I heard them say "we're not calling his name much," but that's a little different.

They did say just that and stated that an all American candidate can't be pushed to the ground and man handled like that. They showed the replay of him getting shoved over as they were saying this. I thought it was rediculous that they said this but they did. he was being double and tripple teamed most of the game and that is what we are hoping happens to free up the LB's. DT is the most unglamorous position on the deffense of course unless you are Suh.

Let me rephrase: it doesn't indicate inferior intellect.

Yeah, he's making observations "from the highly informative location of [his] living room recliner". Who on this message board isn't? Does the fact that those observations aren't entirely positive make them less valid? Guess how many people can 100% positively say that they're giving all-out effort on every play from scrimmage? One. The guy on the field wearing the #94 jersey. Anyone else's opinion is just that. Yes, I'm aware that the Pelini Bros.' D line philosophy is generally to gear toward containment, and you're not going to see anybody doing anything remotely close to what Suh did in '09. That doesn't necessarily mean that Crick isn't underacheiving, but God forbid that somebody actually suggest that he is...

I'm sorry but suggesting that Crick is underachieving is far different than suggesting that he is saving his body and in course can get the hell out of here. Lets attack one of the leaders on our team why dont we.

Because everyone, meaning most of the "talking heads", have already anointed Crick, the "next Suh".

Suh anointed Crick "the next Suh." I don't think any reasonable fan expects Crick to be Suh, nor does any reasonable talking head.

With that said, the defensive line got dominated the other night. They got pushed around, and Fresno State imposed their will on Nebraska, rather than the other way around. Crick is the leader of the defensive line, and he's a big boy senior who's about to be a first round draft pick, so I think it's completely OK that he takes some heat for the defense's play the other night. I thought the whole defense looked pretty average, with no exceptions.

just saying, matters of opinion are derived from one's intellect.

Way to poke the bear, throw gas on the fire, etc... :)

i know, i know. i just hate the notion that all opinions are equal.

If they're based upon the same means of observation, they most certainly are. What makes the OP's opinion inferior to Lyons's opinion in this case?

I'm sorry but suggesting that Crick is underachieving is far different than suggesting that he is saving his body and in course can get the hell out of here. Lets attack one of the leaders on our team why dont we.

Fair enough. I don't think Crick's doing that either, but I do expect to see some improvement from him.

just saying, matters of opinion are derived from one's intellect.

Way to poke the bear, throw gas on the fire, etc... :)

i know, i know. i just hate the notion that all opinions are equal.

If they're based upon the same means of observation, they most certainly are. What makes the OP's opinion inferior to Lyons's opinion in this case?

i'm not really interested in the substance of the debate, just my ancillary point. lets say that you read all of einstein's theories and then stephen hawking read the exact same theories. and then lets say you two had a debate regarding each of your opinions based on those theories. do you still think your opinions would be equal to those of stephen hawking? that's the extreme, but it's why not all opinions are equal.

i'm not really interested in the substance of the debate, just my ancillary point. lets say that you read all of einstein's theories and then stephen hawking read the exact same theories. and then lets say you two had a debate regarding each of your opinions based on those theories. do you still think your opinions would be equal to those of stephen hawking? that's the extreme, but it's why not all opinions are equal.

The difference between a Qualified Opinion and an Unqualified Opinion. Everyone has an opinion, not everyone's opinion should carry the same weight. Pretty basic concept.

HOWEVER, and this goes for the whole thread, not sd'sker (I'm just tacking this on here so I don't post twice), PLEASE NOTE: We are not going to engage in a discussion of the relative intelligences of our members in the football forum. You may debate a POINT to your heart's content, but do not debate the PERSON.

If you have something more direct to say to someone, invite them to share a chat in the Woodshed. That's what it's for. :thumbs

The difference between a Qualified Opinion and an Unqualified Opinion. Everyone has an opinion, not everyone's opinion should carry the same weight. Pretty basic concept.

HOWEVER, and this goes for the whole thread, not sd'sker (I'm just tacking this on here so I don't post twice), PLEASE NOTE: We are not going to engage in a discussion of the relative intelligences of our members in the football forum. You may debate a POINT to your heart's content, but do not debate the PERSON.

If you have something more direct to say to someone, invite them to share a chat in the Woodshed. That's what it's for. :thumbs

I thought the Shed was to talk about how awesome Shawn Watson is.

Ok let me specifically point out what plays I'm referring to:

1. 2:10 left in the 1st quarter-On this one he may have gotten held but he basically got thrown to the ground after just standing there.

2. 14:27 left in the 3rd quarter-Breaks through the line, however appears to be jogging then over-runs the play and appears to not even try to make the tackle-then gets thrown to the ground. This is the play I was talking about earlier when the commentator says "he over ran the play then just gets pushed to the ground".

3. 12:08 left in the 3rd quarter- jogs to the right then doesn't even fight to get back to the RB. Continues to just stand across from the RB while he runs for over 20 yards.

4. 8:19 left in the 3rd quarter-probably more of a run fit issue but Crick is just cat fighting w/ the lineman while the RB runs right up the middle for 15 yards.

5. 6:44 left in the 3rd quarter- Play goes for no gain but Crick again shows no want-to to get to the ball. Steinkhuler-lined up on the opposite side of the play-gets the tackle. This could have been more flow and hold plug by Crick. Still not good effort by Crick.

6. .08 seconds left in the 3rd-Crick, single teamed, gets pushed back about 7-8 yards. Ball going away from him but still showed no fight or want to to hit the RB.

7. 9:27 left in the 4th quarter-Crick, double teamed, nobody filled, but Crick got driven back and seemed completely content on just accounting for 2 linemen being taken up.

8. 7:25 left in the 4th quarter-Crick holds off lineman well but play literally goes right by him and instead of going for the tackle appears to jump to avoid David hitting his knees. Play goes for 5 yards when Crick had him for a loss.

My point is not that Crick is not a good player or doesn't care about winning or the team. He did get held a hell of a lot and it's obvious he's an elite pass rusher. My point is that no matter if your double teamed, single teamed, play going away from you, whatever. You should want to get every hit on every player you can. You should want to damn near rip the other players heads off and he just appeared that he was perfectly fine with other players getting their licks in. Call me whatever you want but I saw what I saw and I've seen it 4 times now. I know I know-it's only 8 plays. However, there were countless others where if the play went away from him he would just jog down the line.