Crowd on Saturday

husker_doc

I actually like the "Can't be beat; Won't be beat" chant. I think if the whole stadium got behind it, it would sound really good. I'm sure when the Husker Power chant started, the really blue blue-hairs hated it. Isn't that right Knapp?

We tried up in our section, but it was all messed up due to echoes or something. Couldn't get it going.

For all the people moaning about how the Nebraska crowds have been weak lately, I thought that the crowd was actually really great on Saturday. However, some idiots in the student section are trying to get a bunch of new chants going. One of them being "Can't be beat" "Won't be beat". This stinks and has never worked. Stick with tradition. If you've never experienced a Husker Power chant, you are missing out. It gets me pumped every time.

That's one of those stupid Bring Back Gameday things that some of the students are doing. I'd rather play Hey Baby after the third instead of that chant.

Yeah, nothing gets me more psyched for the 4th quarter than the song, Hey Baby.

:facepalm:

• Fire 2

I actually like the "Can't be beat; Won't be beat" chant. I think if the whole stadium got behind it, it would sound really good. I'm sure when the Husker Power chant started, the really blue blue-hairs hated it. Isn't that right Knapp?

I think the issue (disclaimer: I'm a student and I hate it) is that it has too many similar sounding words. "Husker Power" is a nice two word chant that has a nice rhythm. "Can't be beat; won't be beat" has six words and four of the six words all sound the same when ten thousand people are yelling it. I like the idea, and I appreciate that the take back gameday folks are trying to make the student section more useful, but it's a work in progress right now, imo.

To speak to the OP's comments, I thought the crowd did a nice job for most of the day, naturally losing a lot of intensity (just like the defense!) after Washington had been effectively crushed in the early 4th. Of course I was in the student section, so I was probably in the loudest part of the stadium by a ways.

We tried up in our section, but it was all messed up due to echoes or something. Couldn't get it going.

Probably hearing aid interference. ^_^

Anyways, I don't like the can't be beat chant. It just doesn't really feel right. I know traditions get started somewhere, but we already have a chant and it's Husker Power. I applaud these people for wanting to start something new and get our fan base rolling, but I think the idea just needs to be refined a little bit.

Another issue that exists right now is general lack of awareness. For example, when I sat in South, the only song I knew the words to was There Is No Place Like Nebraska. When I started sitting in East, there were tons of things I picked up on that I never noticed while sitting in the South, like words to some of the other songs we play. If I'm only one section away, I can't even imagine how little some of the other people in the stadium know.

If Taking Back Gameday is serious, they need to get their PR and advertising brains together and come up with some better strategies. Right now, their means of awareness are 8X11.5 in. flyers and e-mails from the athletic program. With the information overload going on in the campus already, flyers are readily annoyed. And anybody who has gone to college since e-mail was introduced will tell you that most university e-mails go ignored.

For all the people moaning about how the Nebraska crowds have been weak lately, I thought that the crowd was actually really great on Saturday. However, some idiots in the student section are trying to get a bunch of new chants going. One of them being "Can't be beat" "Won't be beat". This stinks and has never worked. Stick with tradition. If you've never experienced a Husker Power chant, you are missing out. It gets me pumped every time.

The reason the student section was chanting that is because the cheerleaders were holding signs that said can't be beat, won't be beat and lifting the first or the latter up periodically. So, If you're going to blame anyone for that one, blame the cheerleaders.

Probably hearing aid interference. ^_^

Anyways, I don't like the can't be beat chant. It just doesn't really feel right. I know traditions get started somewhere, but we already have a chant and it's Husker Power. I applaud these people for wanting to start something new and get our fan base rolling, but I think the idea just needs to be refined a little bit.

Another issue that exists right now is general lack of awareness. For example, when I sat in South, the only song I knew the words to was There Is No Place Like Nebraska. When I started sitting in East, there were tons of things I picked up on that I never noticed while sitting in the South, like words to some of the other songs we play. If I'm only one section away, I can't even imagine how little some of the other people in the stadium know.

If Taking Back Gameday is serious, they need to get their PR and advertising brains together and come up with some better strategies. Right now, their means of awareness are 8X11.5 in. flyers and e-mails from the athletic program. With the information overload going on in the campus already, flyers are readily annoyed. And anybody who has gone to college since e-mail was introduced will tell you that most university e-mails go ignored.

Dad wears a hearing aid. I'm not that old yet. ^_^

What is Take Back Gameday supposed to do? There's nothing wrong with their PR - their movement is being discussed in the middle of a workday on a message board for god's sake.

They have the rally, which is where people are supposed to go and learn the words to other songs and everything, they had a viral video and they've had plenty of publicity - nothing is wrong with their PR.

Take Back Gameday's problem is that people either want to participate or not, and there's nothing Take Back Gameday can do about that. Then the people that don't want to participate decide to mock it because it makes them feel superior as opposed to just being conservative or lazy.

When all you have to do to learn the words to one of the school songs is google "Nebraska school songs," and when all you have to do to make the stadium an intimidating atmosphere is yell, I find it pretty difficult to blame "Take Back Gameday" or anything else for the crowd's lackadaisical nature. The reason for the crowd's lackadaisical nature is that it's made up of lackadaisical people who think they're awesome and see no need for any change.

• Fire 1

Last two games after the "cant be beat, wont be beat' chant they went right into Enter Sandman - this could be pretty cool if it became our version of 'Jump Around' - at least for the few of us who can still jump. :)

Now if only everyone new the lyrics to that song! Looking around last game I would say I saw about an eighth to a quarter of the students actually singing the song.

Last two games after the "cant be beat, wont be beat' chant they went right into Enter Sandman - this could be pretty cool if it became our version of 'Jump Around' - at least for the few of us who can still jump. :)

Now if only everyone new the lyrics to that song! Looking around last game I would say I saw about an eighth to a quarter of the students actually singing the song.

The funny part is it starts with the intro from Hells Bells.

Im a student there and the can't be beat chant is actually awful. Everyone I have talked to hates it.

This.

I'm in East student section with mostly upperclassmen, and about 3/4 of East stadium just sits down with their head in their hands during the chant. Its just plain awful to begin with, and on top of that it feels like we're trying to "force" a new tradition or something. Just stop it.