Realignment

HuskerNiner

I would like to give props to Coach Osborne and Harvey Perlman for getting Nebraska into a stable situation before college football implodes this year. I, for one, am much happier to be a spectator and not a participant in all of this realignment talk. At the same time, does anyone see Notre Dame finally caving and joining up with the Big 10?

Regardless of the TV contract Notre Dame currently holds with NBC, there is no way they can stand pat and let conference expansion take place without their joining the Big Ten.

If these four "MEGA" conferences are formed with sixteen teams in each, where would you find space on a football schedule to play an independent like Notre Dame?

It also appears the Big East is dissolving. Where will Notre Dame play basketball?

Notre Dame is smack dab in the middle of Big Ten country and it's about time they take a seat at the table before they are left on the outside looking in.

Regardless of the TV contract Notre Dame currently holds with NBC, there is no way they can stand pat and let conference expansion take place without their joining the Big Ten.

If these four "MEGA" conferences are formed with sixteen teams in each, where would you find space on a football schedule to play an independent like Notre Dame?

It also appears the Big East is dissolving. Where will Notre Dame play basketball?

Notre Dame is smack dab in the middle of Big Ten country and it's about time they take a seat at the table before they are left on the outside looking in.

i agree, it is time for ND to sh#t or get off the pot....super conferences will screw their program.

I would like to give props to Coach Osborne and Harvey Perlman for getting Nebraska into a stable situation before college football implodes this year. I, for one, am much happier to be a spectator and not a participant in all of this realignment talk. At the same time, does anyone see Notre Dame finally caving and joining up with the Big 10?

Oh hell to the yes on this (TO/Perlman). I could not be happier right now because we are right where we want/need to be for the foreseeable future! As for the ND aspect - hard to say. There are so many things coming out of left field and right, who knows.

Notre Dame's big sticking point is the CIC and the kind of research they support, which is incompatible with many tenets of the Catholic faith. This is a major problem for the Irish that most people ignore. It's not just about football - there's a HUGE academic component to realignment.

could you further elaborate that point, because outside of the irish's moral prohibitions, i do not see academics having much of a role at all. this is an honest question, i'm not trying to be facetious.

Notre Dame's big sticking point is the CIC and the kind of research they support, which is incompatible with many tenets of the Catholic faith. This is a major problem for the Irish that most people ignore. It's not just about football - there's a HUGE academic component to realignment.

could you further elaborate that point, because outside of the irish's moral prohibitions, i do not see academics having much of a role at all. this is an honest question, i'm not trying to be facetious.

As of June, 2009 the total profit for the Big Ten as an athletic conference was $117 million. That's a fair chunk of change.

For the 2009/2010 academic year, the Committee On Institutional Cooperation assisted member institutions (the eleven athletic Big Ten members and the University of Chicago) with $7 billion of funded research.

That's billion with a B, as in Big Money.

The University of Nebraska will not be a full-fledged member institution in the Big Ten's athletic revenue until 2017, although we have been assured we will not make less than we would have made in the Big XII. That means we'll function quite well as an athletic department with around $75-$85 million available over that time.

However, we became a "fully vested" member of the CIC as of July 1, 2011, meaning we have access - but are not guaranteed to get - an equal share of CIC money. That funding is available commensurate with the kind of research we are doing, and other stipulations. They're not just going to give us that funding, we have to have programs that have need for it; but it's there, ready when we are.

The most tangible benefit to Joe Husker Fan is the BTN, which gives us our sports whenever and wherever we want it. But CIC membership is by far the greatest benefit to the University of Nebraska, and it's not even remotely close.

As of June, 2009 the total profit for the Big Ten as an athletic conference was $117 million. That's a fair chunk of change.

For the 2009/2010 academic year, the Committee On Institutional Cooperation assisted member institutions (the eleven athletic Big Ten members and the University of Chicago) with $7 billion of funded research.

The University of Nebraska will not be a full-fledged member institution in the Big Ten's athletic revenue until 2017, although we have been assured we will not make less than we would have made in the Big XII. That means we'll function quite well as an athletic department with around $75-$85 million available over that time.

However, we became a "fully vested" member of the CIC as of July 1, 2011, meaning we have access - but are not guaranteed to get - an equal share of CIC money. That funding is available commensurate with the kind of research we are doing, and other stipulations. They're not just going to give us that funding, we have to have programs that have need for it; but it's there, ready when we are.

The most tangible benefit to Joe Husker Fan is the BTN, which gives us our sports whenever and wherever we want it. But CIC membership is by far the greatest benefit to the University of Nebraska, and it's not even remotely close.

i agree that it greatly benefited NU, but looking around the landscape it doesn't seem like people are too concerned about what conference they end up in as long as they get some of that cash, cash, cash. any academic benefit is merely supplemental. and i think that NU did it because it needs to be part of a strong, stable football conference for it's football program to be relevant, which it needs to keep the university, as a whole, strong.

i'm not disagreeing that there might be academic benefits, i just find them to be outside the decision makers purview. as in, oklahoma or texas will go to whatever conference allows them the greatest financial gain. texas is more concerned about how they will have to renegotiate the lhn than the academic standards or benefits. as for the rest, they just need to go anywhere that will take them.

Not arguing against the notion that NU could see increased research revenue in the B1G, but I don't understand the CIC to be a research fund granting organization. I believe it actually charges a membership fee, but allows for better coordination of research projects across multiple universities and saves money through pooled-purchasing. $7B is the total research revenue for all of the member universities. How much of that is directly attributable to their membership in the CIC, is not totally clear.

I think that is consistant with what you said, but I didn't want people to get the impression that NU would have a chance at an additional $7/13 billion.

If I am correct it is a focus of institutional cooperation and then probably collecting royalties of patents that occur from cooperative research. UW makes bank off their Vitamin D patents. Read up on it sometime. We won't instantly get more research funding. What helps is that our professors can hitch up with other professors who can provide each other with additional incentive to attract funding. Yes our research dollars will probably rise. Especially with our new centers being attractive new venues for top-flight research projects. Really the issue is we need to right the ship with the University budget by getting back to decent State funding levels and stop letting our veteran professors retire early to save a few bucks like recently.

I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but if "mega-conferences" are formed, who are the B1G going to pursue? Other than Notre Dame (I HATE Notre Dame by the way), what team(s) is going to better the conference and make it more competitive? Before I was thinking maybe Boston College or VT, but with the ACC looking strong we aren't left with much IMO.

I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but if "mega-conferences" are formed, who are the B1G going to pursue? Other than Notre Dame (I HATE Notre Dame by the way), what team(s) is going to better the conference and make it more competitive? Before I was thinking maybe Boston College or VT, but with the ACC looking strong we aren't left with much IMO.

i think we are better off sticking at 12. more teams does not mean more money. also, if the pac 12 goes to 16 with texas, ou, osu, and ttu, who will get out of the conference with less than 2 losses? let them cannibalize themselves.