Realignment

HuskerNiner

It is a very fluid situation but everything depends on the where TAMU, OU, and UT end up. There is talk that the remaining teams from the Big 12 and Big East would join up to remain an AQ for the BCS.

Of course, there was talk of Missouri joining the Big Ten in years past so that may be an option. Depending on how academics stack up it may be reasonable to assume Kansas and Kansas State would be considered if the Big Ten went to sixteen teams.

As innovative and forward thinking as the Big Ten has been with the BTN and the addition of Nebraska before all of this conference "expansion" began, I have to believe they have feelers out with several schools if this this shift begins to take place.

I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but if "mega-conferences" are formed, who are the B1G going to pursue? Other than Notre Dame (I HATE Notre Dame by the way), what team(s) is going to better the conference and make it more competitive? Before I was thinking maybe Boston College or VT, but with the ACC looking strong we aren't left with much IMO.

i think we are better off sticking at 12. more teams does not mean more money. also, if the pac 12 goes to 16 with texas, ou, osu, and ttu, who will get out of the conference with less than 2 losses? let them cannibalize themselves.

I'd be fine staying at 12 for obvious reasons. However, if the landscape does shift dramatically by way of 16-team superconferences within the next year or so, the B1G will have no choice. Keep your eyes on 2014, because that's when BCS contracts expire. Assuming we're already competing as superconferences by then, I've read various scenarios where the 4 or 5 superconferences will drop the BCS as well as NCAA altogether and focus on creating a playoff format and a new governing body regulating 64 or 80 teams (aka the Super Division 1) amongst themselves.

I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but if "mega-conferences" are formed, who are the B1G going to pursue? Other than Notre Dame (I HATE Notre Dame by the way), what team(s) is going to better the conference and make it more competitive? Before I was thinking maybe Boston College or VT, but with the ACC looking strong we aren't left with much IMO.

i think we are better off sticking at 12. more teams does not mean more money. also, if the pac 12 goes to 16 with texas, ou, osu, and ttu, who will get out of the conference with less than 2 losses? let them cannibalize themselves.

I'd be fine staying at 12 for obvious reasons. However, if the landscape does shift dramatically by way of 16-team superconferences within the next year or so, the B1G will have no choice. Keep your eyes on 2014, because that's when BCS contracts expire. Assuming we're already competing as superconferences by then, I've read various scenarios where the 4 or 5 superconferences will drop the BCS as well as NCAA altogether and focus on creating a playoff format and a new governing body regulating 64 or 80 teams (aka the Super Division 1) amongst themselves.

that makes sense.

My guess for a revised target list for the Big Ten:

1. Notre Dame

2. Missouri

3. Rutgers

4. Kansas

too bad we missed out on bc, that would be better than rutgers, same with pitt.

do you really think that the B1G would be left out, even if it only had 12 members?

The other thing regarding Notre Dame and the CIC is, they aren't really a research institution. They'd basically only see any large benefit from the buying coop part of it. It makes it less of a selling point with them, even before you take into account the fact they'd be aligning themselves with an organization that may receive money to do things like stem cell research.

I also agree with the post above me, you aren't going to the 64 or 80 team super-conference scenario without the Big Ten. The Big Ten and SEC set the agenda for NCAA division one football.

All this realignment talk has had me thinking a lot lately. Until today, I was completely undecided about what the B1G should do, but after thinking about it a different way, here are my thoughts:

I like the B1G's mindset and wanting to stay at 12 teams if they can. However, I think things are about to unfold pretty quickly over the next couple months. Therefore, I think our conference needs to act soon after the implosion of the Big East and Big 12. If the superconference thing works out (which it looks like it is about to), we absolutely do not want to get stuck with just anybody. We want good teams that will strengthen our conference on a national perspective. Obviously, right now the B1G does not have a national perception of being strong or full of powerful teams. Acting soon will ensure that we get good teams to fill the 16-team superconference. I also think that all of this will force Notre Dame to finally give in and join the B1G. The other teams that we could snatch could include: Missouri, Kansas, West Virginia, Boise State, BYU, Louisville, Iowa State (though preferrably not), Kansas State (ditto), along with a few others.

If we hold off until the PAC-12, SEC, and ACC take their pick of stray teams, we will get stuck adding sub-par teams that will not add strength in any sport. While Kansas would not add strength to football in the conference, their basketball program and academics would be worth picking up. West Virginia would be a good grab, and they very well could be on the radar for the ACC, as could Louisville. Missouri is obviously one of the top names mentioned for the SEC, and while it may not be a HUGE loss, they would add strength to the conference in a few areas athletically, as well as academically.

Let me know what you think! Sorry for the long rant.

the 16 team Super Conferences are coming, like it or not.....ND would probably be the best the BIG could hope to get...OU and OSU are going Pac-10.....Texas, Texas,........hmmmmmmm, Texas can go to hell!

If done right, I think the 16 team conference is the way to go. You split the conference into 4 4-team pods. Each team plays the remaining 3 teams in their pod, all 4 teams in another pod, and 2 teams in another pod. This means a 9-game conference schedule which will eliminate one buttercup opponent from each team's schedule. Hence, better competition and an easier transition to a playoff.

I still don't see the rush. Why water down the conference to make 16? If we have to eventually pick up 4 teams you know it will be garbage anyway. Who's out there now? Missouri? That's a push at best.

And I don't see how the remaining Big 12 schools - texas and ou join with big east and get a BCS bid. Who is in there that's been to a BCS game recently? KU is the only big12 team so who from the big east? TCU (if they still join). Uconn? I'm not convinced they get a bid.

B1G could stay at 12 and not ever have any issues with the NT or BCS games. Nebraska, Mich, Penn St, Ohio St are all legendary football schools with multiple NTs and are some of the most winningest programs of all time.

I would like to give props to Coach Osborne and Harvey Perlman for getting Nebraska into a stable situation before college football implodes this year. I, for one, am much happier to be a spectator and not a participant in all of this realignment talk. At the same time, does anyone see Notre Dame finally caving and joining up with the Big 10?

No. They will in all likely hood go to the ACC where they can continue to reap the benefits of their deal with NBC. Not only that but they have a better chance of always having a chance at being in the top 3 of the conference, something that wouldn't happen in the B1G

T_O_B

G>B>R

I would like to give props to Coach Osborne and Harvey Perlman for getting Nebraska into a stable situation before college football implodes this year. I, for one, am much happier to be a spectator and not a participant in all of this realignment talk. At the same time, does anyone see Notre Dame finally caving and joining up with the Big 10?

No. They will in all likely hood go to the ACC where they can continue to reap the benefits of their deal with NBC. Not only that but they have a better chance of always having a chance at being in the top 3 of the conference, something that wouldn't happen in the B1G

T_O_B

G>B>R

As sad as I am to say it, I think if Notre Dame were in the B1G this yr, they would be the 3rd or 4th best team...

Here is a Sooner Fans thoughts from a story on ESPN story about OU wanting serious reforms.

"body

Sooner81Dan

Beebe is probably part of the problem. I'm a Sooner fan and as much as it pains me, I think Oklahoma bears part of the blame. I'll never understand how come Oklahoma didn't stand with Nebraska when they were ready to bolt to the Big 10. The Sooners needed to make a stand with Nebraska and ask other Big 12 Schools to do the same to rein Texas in. Don't misunderstand me, Texas had and still does have the right to do anything it wants that is in the best interest of their University. I think Texas would have either come around or found greener pastures. So, hoping President Boren and Joe Castiglione can come up with some Sooner Magic and surprise everyone.

38 fans like this.