Realignment and a Playoff

T_O_Bull

I love being in the B1G. The Big 12 is in such a state of flux that I can't believe it will remain as is for more than 3 or 4 more years. I absolutyely hate the BCS and how it has ruined the end of the College Football Season. With all the talk of a system with 4 16 team super-conferences I have been thinking and I have come up with the following. I will use this year's calendar as reference.

Eight 16 team conferences - 128 teams, 64 does not allow enough teams into the mix.

Regular season finds 32 teams for essentially the first round of the playoffs, the Conference Championships played on Dec 3rd.

Round of 16 - Dec 14th utilizing 8 of the lesser bowls.

Round of 8 - New Years Day - utilizing 4 of the following bowls - Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar and Cotton

Round of 4 - Jan 7 - Two New Bowls - the Semi-Final Bowls.

Championship - Jan 14 - utilizing the bowl that rotates out of the New Years Day Bowls.

This gives us a true National Champion and also incorporates some of the finer things we have lost due to the stupidity of the BCS.

All games played on Sat, as college games should be played, except for the 4 games played on New Years Day, screw the NFL they have Sun afternoon & evening and Mon night to play their games.

OK there you have it, what do you think?

T_O_B

G>B>R

Since the inception of conference championship games, I've missed the urgency? of each game meaning "life or death"..'Specially late in the season.

I still feel any sort of playoff would further dilute the importance of the regular season.

Most "fans" are probably OK with that, but it's one of the main reasons I prefer College (div1.) exponentially over the NFL or the lower divisions..I'm on the edge of my seat for almost every game.

This is football, not basketball. I like the idea of the conference champions playing each other in a playoff-like form. Have each conference champ play another conference champ and have each winner play another winner, until it whittles down to two teams which would play in the National Championship. The winner of this game would then be National championship. A 32 team playoff is ridiculous for football, not only because games are played on a weekly basis unlike basketball, but also because team at the bottom of of the top 32 are nowhere near the level needed to considered national champions. Lets cut the fat out and have the best versus the best.

Here's what I have thought of that I've really not heard anyone else say:

From the superconferences, whether it be 4 or 8 (it will be 4 if it happens), you take the champion team from each superconference and do a 2-round playoff. Everybody else that doesn't make the playoff, including teams that are not part of a superconference, goes to one of the existing bowl games. This does a lot of things that I think everyone can agree on:

-It keeps the bowl system in place while establishing the much-needed playoff.

-While there is a playoff, it does not take value away from the regular season since there are only 4 teams in it.

-It still keeps Boise State-like teams out of the national title contention (provided they don't find a home in one of the superconferences) since they play high school teams in their schedules

-The formatting of the 16-team conference would be desirable, as they would be split into 4-team pods. Each team would play the other 3 teams in their own pod, all 4 teams from another pod, and 2 teams from the last pod. This would allow for a rotation and easily being able to play everyone in your conference within a 2 or 3 year period.

Since the inception of conference championship games, I've missed the urgency? of each game meaning "life or death"..'Specially late in the season. I still feel any sort of playoff would further dilute the importance of the regular season. Most "fans" are probably OK with that, but it's one of the main reasons I prefer College (div1.) exponentially over the NFL or the lower divisions..I'm on the edge of my seat for almost every game.

This is what is ruining college basketball. Rick Reilly had a fantastic article last basketball season about how high profile regular season basketball games like pitt and uconn get awful ratings because the conference/ncaa tournaments virtually make those games an exhibition. College football is unlike any other sport. Every play, every second, every mistake matters. It really is a game of inches and thats why I love it. Why change it? So Boise St. has a chance at a national title? nah. not worth it.

• Fire 1

This is football, not basketball. I like the idea of the conference champions playing each other in a playoff-like form. Have each conference champ play another conference champ and have each winner play another winner, until it whittles down to two teams which would play in the National Championship. The winner of this game would then be National championship. A 32 team playoff is ridiculous for football, not only because games are played on a weekly basis unlike basketball, but also because team at the bottom of of the top 32 are nowhere near the level needed to considered national champions. Lets cut the fat out and have the best versus the best.

First with 32 teams involved in Conference championship games you immediately cut to 16, the champion from each conference then moves on. Unlike BB the first three rounds aren't seeded. Not so ridiculous now 'cc.' From then on it remains how it always has been, bowls scrambling to put together matchups. Seeding doesn't start until the Semi-Final bowls where it makes sence..

T_O_B

G>B>R

From the superconferences, whether it be 4 or 8 (it will be 4 if it happens), you take the champion team from each superconference and do a 2-round playoff. Everybody else that doesn't make the playoff, including teams that are not part of a superconference, goes to one of the existing bowl games. This does a lot of things that I think everyone can agree on:

-While there is a playoff, it does not take value away from the regular season since there are only 4 teams in it.

-It still keeps Boise State-like teams out of the national title contention (provided they don't find a home in one of the superconferences) since they play high school teams in their schedules

-The formatting of the 16-team conference would be desirable, as they would be split into 4-team pods. Each team would play the other 3 teams in their own pod, all 4 teams from another pod, and 2 teams from the last pod. This would allow for a rotation and easily being able to play everyone in your conference within a 2 or 3 year period.

My theory keeps the bowl system in place and reestablishes the New Years Day games that have been so special in the past and each one of them has meaning.

The regular season has value because if you don't win your division you don't get to the conference championship.

Why would you want to keep Boise State like teams out? I guess if you are one of the big boys who Boise State has beaten (ie Oklahoma) you might be in favor of this but thejn you need to change your colors to to Chicken $h-t yellow and brown and your cheer leaders need to learn the cluck - cluck - cluck chant and the chicken dance.

T_O_B

G>B>R

My theory keeps the bowl system in place and reestablishes the New Years Day games that have been so special in the past and each one of them has meaning.

The regular season has value because if you don't win your division you don't get to the conference championship.

Why would you want to keep Boise State like teams out? I guess if you are one of the big boys who Boise State has beaten (ie Oklahoma) you might be in favor of this but thejn you need to change your colors to to Chicken $h-t yellow and brown and your cheer leaders need to learn the cluck - cluck - cluck chant and the chicken dance.

T_O_B

G>B>R

My reason for leaving Boise State-like teams out is because they play horrible schedules. However, with Boise obviously having success against powerful schools each year, I guess people will cry if they are left out. So to compensate for that, I say if there is a non-BCS or non-superconference team that is undefeated, then they would play the lowest-rated conference champion in a bunny bracket one week before the playoff officially starts. This would essentially be a 4-team playoff system with the option for a 5th and possibly 6th team.

T_O_B

G>B>R

My reason for leaving Boise State-like teams out is because they play horrible schedules. However, with Boise obviously having success against powerful schools each year, I guess people will cry if they are left out. So to compensate for that, I say if there is a non-BCS or non-superconference team that is undefeated, then they would play the lowest-rated conference champion in a bunny bracket one week before the playoff officially starts. This would essentially be a 4-team playoff system with the option for a 5th and possibly 6th team.

You could say that for years we played a horrible schedule. Lets face it the Big 8 seldome had more than three teams that could have been thought of as strong. UNL, OU and either Mizzou or Colo. which ever could manage to put together a good team. Our non-confewrence schedule usually included one tough game so consequently we essentially played a schedule that had 2 maybe 3 significant games. Boise State plays a 'horrible' schedule because there are a lot of teams out there, the so called 'big boys' who don't want to play them and most certainally don't want to play a home and home against them.

8 16 team conferences, 128 total teams and there will be no question as to who is the National Champ and there are no teams out there with an opporunity to be a whinny little bi-ch.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Since the inception of conference championship games, I've missed the urgency? of each game meaning "life or death"..'Specially late in the season.

I still feel any sort of playoff would further dilute the importance of the regular season.

Most "fans" are probably OK with that, but it's one of the main reasons I prefer College (div1.) exponentially over the NFL or the lower divisions..I'm on the edge of my seat for almost every game.

Lower divisions? There are some teams that lose one game and still don't get into the playoffs in the lower divisions. Every game matters in all divisions of football since there aren't as many games to be played compared to CBB.

If you only have a 16 team playoff in D1-A (BCS) then more games would matter. Even games like Wyoming vs BG game would have been more important. As of now, they don't mean a thing.

Forget the bowls. I can't stand the bowl system. The schools would make a ton of money by having playoff games at school stadiums, just as they do in FCS. The bowls can stay for teams that don't make the playoffs but I don't want playoff games held at bowl sites.

For anyone that thinks the bowl systems is great and doesn't want a playoff or wants a playoff using the bowl system, go read Death to the BCS. You will change your mind immediately and have such disgust for the bowl system.

I love being in the B1G. The Big 12 is in such a state of flux that I can't believe it will remain as is for more than 3 or 4 more years. I absolutyely hate the BCS and how it has ruined the end of the College Football Season. With all the talk of a system with 4 16 team super-conferences I have been thinking and I have come up with the following. I will use this year's calendar as reference. Eight 16 team conferences - 128 teams, 64 does not allow enough teams into the mix. Regular season finds 32 teams for essentially the first round of the playoffs, the Conference Championships played on Dec 3rd. Round of 16 - Dec 14th utilizing 8 of the lesser bowls. Round of 8 - New Years Day - utilizing 4 of the following bowls - Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar and Cotton Round of 4 - Jan 7 - Two New Bowls - the Semi-Final Bowls. Championship - Jan 14 - utilizing the bowl that rotates out of the New Years Day Bowls. This gives us a true National Champion and also incorporates some of the finer things we have lost due to the stupidity of the BCS. All games played on Sat, as college games should be played, except for the 4 games played on New Years Day, screw the NFL they have Sun afternoon & evening and Mon night to play their games. OK there you have it, what do you think? T_O_B G>B>R

ok I think i'm missing something there. 8 16 team conferences using their championship games as round one would only be a 16 team playoff not a 32 team.

I love being in the B1G. The Big 12 is in such a state of flux that I can't believe it will remain as is for more than 3 or 4 more years. I absolutyely hate the BCS and how it has ruined the end of the College Football Season.  With all the talk of a system with 4 16 team super-conferences I have been thinking and I have come up with the following. I will use this year's calendar as reference.

Eight 16 team conferences  -  128 teams, 64 does not allow enough teams into the mix.

Regular season finds 32 teams  for essentially the first round of the playoffs, the Conference Championships played on  Dec 3rd.

Round of 16  -  Dec 14th utilizing 8 of the lesser bowls.

Round of 8  -  New Years Day  -  utilizing 4 of the following bowls  -  Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar and Cotton

Round of 4 -  Jan 7  -  Two New Bowls  -  the Semi-Final Bowls.

Championship  -  Jan 14  -  utilizing the bowl that rotates out of the New Years Day Bowls.

This gives us a true National Champion and also incorporates some of the finer things we have lost due to the stupidity of the BCS.

All games played on Sat, as college games should be played,  except for the 4 games played on New Years Day, screw the NFL they have Sun afternoon & evening and Mon night to play their games.

OK there you have it, what do you think?

T_O_B

G>B>R

Do you really think adding 5 games to a teams schedule is a good idea? You need to take the increased risk of injury into account. I'm not a huge fan of the BCS, and I'm open to some sort of post-season reform, but I don't think a playoff system would be the best way to go. I like having most of the focus on the actual season itself, so I'm probably not going to be real supportive of something that takes away from that.