Why do Wyoming fans hate N so much

Let's be fair. There have been some absolute A-hole posters professing to be Nebraska fans come on Wyoming boards and stir things up. As I stated before, you go into a man's house screaming, "I'M GONNA KICK YOUR ASS!!!", and then you're shocked went the resident of that house reacts with hostility? And, though I don't think many Nebraska fans will see it, a lot of Nebraska fans come off as arrogant. Then there's the fact of geography. As bordering states, there are countless ties between the Wyoming and Nebraska people. A lot of divided loyalties. So, I suspect the Nebraska part of those loyalties have been a pain in the ass over the years. Now, I hate Texas A&M because I have a cousin who is an aggy [sic] and he's unsufferable about it. So I can understand it.
I agree with most of what you say there. As far as arrogance goes, I honestly feel that in order to be great to you need to be arrogant to an extent. You need to have the mentality that you're going to do what you want and the other team can't stop you, and you need to have the mentality that you're better than the next team. I think you'll be hard-pressed, for example, to find any truly great player that does not have some degree of arrogance. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Chris Johnson, etc., are all arrogant to a degree, but they also sometimes know when to be humbling. It's why I have a tough time blaming an fan base from an AQ school (especially an upper-AQ school) from being arrogant. Nebraska hasn't done enough in the last 10 years to be overtly arrogant, but given our history, can anybody really blame us?

This post is why people hate Nebraska fans.

Then "people" need to get thicker skins. Getting upset over basic facts like that is childish.

Let's be fair. There have been some absolute A-hole posters professing to be Nebraska fans come on Wyoming boards and stir things up. As I stated before, you go into a man's house screaming, "I'M GONNA KICK YOUR ASS!!!", and then you're shocked went the resident of that house reacts with hostility? And, though I don't think many Nebraska fans will see it, a lot of Nebraska fans come off as arrogant. Then there's the fact of geography. As bordering states, there are countless ties between the Wyoming and Nebraska people. A lot of divided loyalties. So, I suspect the Nebraska part of those loyalties have been a pain in the ass over the years. Now, I hate Texas A&M because I have a cousin who is an aggy [sic] and he's unsufferable about it. So I can understand it.
I agree with most of what you say there. As far as arrogance goes, I honestly feel that in order to be great to you need to be arrogant to an extent. You need to have the mentality that you're going to do what you want and the other team can't stop you, and you need to have the mentality that you're better than the next team. I think you'll be hard-pressed, for example, to find any truly great player that does not have some degree of arrogance. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Chris Johnson, etc., are all arrogant to a degree, but they also sometimes know when to be humbling. It's why I have a tough time blaming an fan base from an AQ school (especially an upper-AQ school) from being arrogant. Nebraska hasn't done enough in the last 10 years to be overtly arrogant, but given our history, can anybody really blame us?
Then "people" need to get thicker skins. Getting upset over basic facts like that is childish.

So 'people' say they don't like Nebraska fans because they seem arrogant. This post basically says 'yeah, we're arrogant fans'. Seems pretty self explanatory.

So 'people' say they don't like Nebraska fans because they seem arrogant. This post basically says 'yeah, we're arrogant fans'. Seems pretty self explanatory.

What's worse: arrogant fans, or self-hating fans who are "embarrassed" that people are proud of their team and its accomplishments and don't hesitate to tell everyone else how terrible they are for such pride.

• Fire 2

Are some NU fans arrogant? yes. Just like a small minority of fans of any sports team, college or pro. You want arrogant fans? Look at Texas. I attended a CWS game a couple years ago when Texas won, and I was so annoyed with Longhorn arrogance, I couldn't stand it... I would say Nebraska fans have a pretty undeserved rep in this sense. I think a more appropriate description of Husker fans is proud.

What's worse: arrogant fans, or self-hating fans who are "embarrassed" that people are proud of their team and its accomplishments and don't hesitate to tell everyone else how terrible they are for such pride.

So apparently we have two categories: arrogant and self-hating. Nothing in between. Kind of like people who disagree with a certain war must be wussified traitors.

So apparently we have two categories: arrogant and self-hating. Nothing in between. Kind of like people who disagree with a certain war must be wussified traitors.

Your attempt to incite reaction by equating fandom with hot-button political issues clearly puts you into a third category.

• Fire 1

Your attempt to incite reaction by equating fandom with hot-button political issues clearly puts you into a third category.

I didn't know invoking the word 'war' without specifics was a hot button political issue.

I like to read opposing team message boards. I don't troll in the sense that I don't join or post, just like to gauge the online fan base. I know the majority of message poster aren't representative of their fan base and a lot post just to fire up their fans and get them excited. I get a good laugh. Now I have nothing against the Cowboys, but for some reason the majority of the posters seem to hate N. They talk about how all Husker fans live in the past but constantly say we owe them for Devaney. Really? They add that the were a big deal in the 60's and that Dr. Tom is a crook, cheater, win at all cost, has deep pockets to pay for players..it goes on as tho he were still coach.(Living in the past) I know there are a lot of Husker fans in Wyoming and that must hurt. I worked in an area of Omaha for years where it seemed like EVERYONE wore Miami gear. They add that N is and was afraid to play Wyoming and that we ran from them, for years. One poster even said that he was at the game where the applauded Ricky Williams but saw the fans throw beer and obscenities at the TX fans. Beer? in a dry stadium. I could go on and I like their spirit but do not understand the hatred. I read this board for years before I joined and I know there are some Cowboy fans posting here. Maybe they can explain it. This isn't "Well its just a message board", no they seem to really hate N. 75 to 1 ratio easy.

In a word: jealousy.

Digressions aside, I live 10 minutes from Boulder, CO and have been a huge Nebraska fan since I can remember. I took hell for wearing my N gear through the painful years of 1989, 1990 when CU was beating Nebraska and playing in Nat'l title games. I attended CU and wore my red jacket in the student section in 2001 when we got obliterated (although I admit I left in the 3rd because things were getting ugly.....and not just on the field).

But one thing that I got out of being a Nebraska fan growing up in a hostile 'rival's' (for lack of a better word) backyard is a little gained perspective. Nebraska fans are great, but there is a perceived aura of smugness. Yankee fans, Cowboy fans, etc get the same kind of rap. What annoys me is these stupid little threads about 'why are they not nice to us?'. Well, first of all, you're probably citing posts from maybe 1 or 2 idiots and you're taking them to heart. Secondly, their stadium is about to be invaded by a bunch of visiting fans. They most likely will then watch their team be routed by yours on their campus, and then you will condescendingly shake their hand and say 'you guys have got a nice little program here. Good luck in the WAC or Mountain West, or whatever crap conference you guys play in'. Didn't you hate it when you got a C on a test and some snob who aced it walks up and says, 'nice job. You'll do better next time'?

No, opposing teams don't single Nebraska out for hatred above all. No, the announcers don't hate your team. And no, just because I'm being honest doesn't make me a closet UT fan.

Any upper tier program that has had any relatively high level of success in the past 30-40 years is going to be universally hated to some degree. Add in the fact that we share a border with Wyoming and the Devaney story and it will logically be exacerbated. Also, most any mid/lower level team (i.e. Wyoming) that really has not done much historically in their own conference, let alone nationally, is going to have somewhat of an inferiority complex. It stands to reason that they mistake our pride and support for arrogance. They have no idea what it feels like to be in our shoes and we really struggle knowing what it is like in theirs (although the Callahan years did shed some light). There definitely are a handful of insufferable Husker fans, as there are for any team but, it is not representative of the larger fan base. People that fail recognize that fact simply have some inferiority and jealousy issues. When provoked I will retaliate but, for the most part, I simply feel sorry that they have not had the same experiences we have as Husker fans.

Or, maybe it is just their proximity to Colorado that skews their sense of how a real fan should act.....