Question about Husker's Playbook?

Haspula

I would say he hasn't shown much. We really haven't seen much in the way of blitzing, just your standard safety, corner, or mike blitzes nothing exotic or disguised. And I haven't watch the line that closely, but I can't recall seeing too many stunts or different packages like guys standing up or crick at end etc. So I think it's safe to say the book has only been cracked so far. I think we usually spend the first 3 or 4 games seeing who gels the best and how we can work with them.

If that's true then how do you diagnose it? It forces to ask one of two questions:

1) If we have only used a portion of the defensive playbook, then why have we not looked good doing the most basic of things?

2) Does having more options available to us mean our defense is going to get better, or that the defense is going to struggle with the basics and the more aggressive calls?

I don't know the answer, but I have never nor will ever be a proponent of vanilla play calling. If the players are too inexperienced to handle some things, that's one thing. But if we're calling vanilla just to not show a lot, that's something else.

To me, it doesn't matter what plays you have if you can't execute, and it's unnerving to hear the excuse vanilla when our team isn't playing well, because if you can't do the easy stuff then how can you be expected to do the better stuff? I think we should always be aggressive and call the plays we want to call regardless of the situation. By week 10 it won't matter how much we did or didn't call by the beginning of the season, because everybody will have hours worth of film to diagnose. It all comes back to execution in the end.

i am worried about the defense, not sure what rabbits we can pull out, but it bothers me a bit, when Bo says, again, after every game, "we have some things to clean up on defense"........i am not sure how much more coaching will help our DB's........our secondary just sucks, no way to spin it any other way.

Cooper gave up the only big plays and he got moved to corner this week, he's a redshift freshman and he was so nervous to start he threw up twice on the field...they are trying things relax a little. They are moving so many guys around its hard to tell who the starters are going to be. Who the hell thought cooper would be starting at corner and Mitchell didn't even make the trip. We are getting guys reps for depth and the future. Can anyone honestly sit there and tell me we couldn't have run for 600 yards last night? You work on things your not good at, you don't run up the score to impress the fans and voters that watch espn to see where we should be ranked. We are going to shock some people next week.

The most unsettling thing for me heading into the game is the fact that the secondary has had no such thing that has resembled cohesiveness and uniformity. The Zo injury has hurt and threw a pretty big curve to the secondary. However, seeing Corey Cooper playing at corner after being highly thought of at safety, was alarming. Ciante hasn't really shown much, Andrew has his ups, and then two downs, Cassidy has forgotten how to tackle, Stafford brings the wood, but has lapses of wrapping up, and Courtney....well Courtney I guess was in the dog house with Bo for two games.

I really honeslty feel Bo has been trying to hold stuff back, but agree with enhance, that it is disturbing that the defense is looking real poor just running basic stuff.