Question about Husker's Playbook?

Haspula

Saving ourselves for a game is dumb IMO whether we are or aren't.

you should only save yourself for marriage, but not for big games.

Gotta test drive the car before you buy it...

Kinda what we did last night with Rex running the zone read I believe. Getting in a few game reps before the honeymoon, er, Wisconsin.

I don't think we have been running our defense the way it should be ran. I believe we have been trying new things out coverage wise. I know everyone thinks Cassidy sucks monkey sh!t, but for someone that knows the defense as well as he does, he has seemed as lost as the new guys when playing.

I do not know if this is true.... I read somewhere they had about 170 plays that they can run or variations of plays if you will. If we have done 25% of the playbook that means we would of had to run 42 or 43 different variations of plays in 4 games. Did we? I don't know. (Variations can be running the same play but out of different formations.) I suppose it's possible. You saw new plays and old plays in each game and I expect the same for Wisconsin. They will game plan and develop a subset of plays from the playbook that they think will work against Wisconsin. Those will be the ones they practice all week. The plays they pick are based off of what Wisconsin does and what their personnel is like. What gets used is what we demonstrate we can execute during practice, what Wisconsin does during the game and field position, time & score etc... So maybe when it comes down to it you only do 25 or 50% of your game plan each game?

Don't know. Would like to hear from former players or coaches about this again.

if someone says again we are holding back on defense, iam gonna scream! :ahhhhhhhh

Go ahead and scream we're holding back on defense! Why would we show some of the more intricate stuff we have against fesno st wyoming or chatanooga? Not to mention some things may not even be installed yet. Look at last year or the year before. I remember people saying similar things and then look how we started shutting teams down towards the end of the year, granted each team had their falters but it's going to happen. I can almost guarantee you Gabbert or even Tanahill (spelling) hadn't seen som of the things that were thrown at them. The Pelinis have been pretty good at cooking up new ways to attack upper level offenses the past couple years. Just give it some time and they may surprise you. I'm sure they've seen some stuff from Wisconsin that they would love to take advantage of this week.

i am worried about the defense, not sure what rabbits we can pull out, but it bothers me a bit, when Bo says, again, after every game, "we have some things to clean up on defense"........i am not sure how much more coaching will help our DB's........our secondary just sucks, no way to spin it any other way.

Cooper gave up the only big plays and he got moved to corner this week, he's a redshift freshman and he was so nervous to start he threw up twice on the field...they are trying things relax a little. They are moving so many guys around its hard to tell who the starters are going to be. Who the hell thought cooper would be starting at corner and Mitchell didn't even make the trip. We are getting guys reps for depth and the future. Can anyone honestly sit there and tell me we couldn't have run for 600 yards last night? You work on things your not good at, you don't run up the score to impress the fans and voters that watch espn to see where we should be ranked. We are going to shock some people next week.

I sure hope you're right.

We've not seen the three back sets on offense yet that we've ran in spring and fall camp. I don't know if its lack of execution or saving it. I'd say at this point the guys can run 80% off the offense and have shown about half of that plus or minus.

Defense....we're struggling. We have some different things yet, but what we want to run we've been trying to do. We've yet to find the right people and that's trouble. We aren't playing them to try and build depth. We're playing different people because we can't find the guys to get it done. We might be able to cover up some issues with blitz packages but you can't rely on that all the time. What scares me is how bad our prevent defense is. And I don't care what you run....if your dline can't get it done in one type of front its not going to get it done in a different front.