Time to put up or shut up

We have been hearing all through fall camp and the first handful of games from the players and some coaches about how we will be just fine and we just need to "clean a few things up" and so on. I for one am so sick and tired of the sunshine pumping and everything will be ok b.s.

We have NO accountability or leadership on this team. Period. It's time for the players and coaches to stop patting each other on the back and place the proverbial "chip on their shoulder" and come out with something to prove.

We have been hearing all through fall camp and the first handful of games from the players and some coaches about how we will be just fine and we just need to "clean a few things up" and so on. I for one am so sick and tired of the sunshine pumping and everything will be ok b.s.

We have NO accountability or leadership on this team. Period. It's time for the players and coaches to stop patting each other on the back and place the proverbial "chip on their shoulder" and come out with something to prove.

Well said bbhusker! It's funny that you should mention "accountability" and "leadership." I discussed the same thing in my post earlier "Leadership, Accountability, & Toughness." http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/54851-leadership-accountability-toughness/

I want to see a Tim Tebow esque press conference. I will not let this team lose again this season and apologizing to fans for this performance. But our players don't do this stuff, its all vanilla, just like our game plans.

Exactly. The one thing that is really starting to bother me about Bo is his "we just need to forget about it, and move on" statements. These players and coaches should watch the Wisconsin game over and over until they are sick. They should be embarrassed and use this as motivation. Bo has said in the past that this game is about emotion. Then lets SEE SOME EMOTION. I don't want our team to be robots and just keep making the same mistakes over and over and over. Right now the rest of the conference and country think that we are a bunch of pu$$ies. What are we going to do about it?

• 11 years later...
On 10/2/2011 at 11:01 PM, bbhusker said:

From 2011!

That post has been repeated almost word for word over a long time here at Husker Forums.  My bringing it up now is only for the purpose of reminding us just how long we've been saying these things (and how long the hope has been going on).

12 years of this or versions of this (probably more like 15 years, but our record was better slightly earlier on.. and gradually fading).

Ever do this?  Go down memory lane and see how long we've been saying the same things?  Coach after coach.  Good recruit after good recruit.  And a few AD changes as well.

It's been suggested that there's a "curse," having to do with removing Coach Solich after he faltered a bit then righted the ship and deserved to remain.  I don't believe in such things, but I do think there's something in the air so to speak in the Husker football program.  We're now a perennially losing school.  We're now not expected to become much better at all, for the near or far future (a review of the Minnesota game contained the phrase, "Nebraska was.. well, Nebraska").  It's being pointed out that all the money in the world can't fix it because there's an inertia "that we often see as natural part of things in the sports world."  We only hope now for an expected win here and there, and maybe 4,5, or 6 in a season (not this one of course). 

Husker fans are Husker fans, so we'll always hope for the very best.  But we keep looking for solutions "out there" in Coach & Great Player Land.  That can be helpful at some schools, but it has NOT worked here to go out and hire coaches and bring in recruits with proven abilities.  Gradually over time they have come here and stumbled then fallen.. and here we are.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Hagg said:

From 2011!

That post has been repeated almost word for word over a long time here at Husker Forums.  My bringing it up now is only for the purpose of reminding us just how long we've been saying these things (and how long the hope has been going on).

12 years of this or versions of this (probably more like 15 years, but our record was better slightly earlier on.. and gradually fading).

Ever do this?  Go down memory lane and see how long we've been saying the same things?  Coach after coach.  Good recruit after good recruit.  And a few AD changes as well.

It's been suggested that there's a "curse," having to do with removing Coach Solich after he faltered a bit then righted the ship and deserved to remain.  I don't believe in such things, but I do think there's something in the air so to speak in the Husker football program.  We're now a perennially losing school.  We're now not expected to become much better at all, for the near or far future (a review of the Minnesota game contained the phrase, "Nebraska was.. well, Nebraska").  It's being pointed out that all the money in the world can't fix it because there's an inertia "that we often see as natural part of things in the sports world."  We only hope now for an expected win here and there, and maybe 4,5, or 6 in a season (not this one of course). 

Husker fans are Husker fans, so we'll always hope for the very best.  But we keep looking for solutions "out there" in Coach & Great Player Land.  That can be helpful at some schools, but it has NOT worked here to go out and hire coaches and bring in recruits with proven abilities.  Gradually over time they have come here and stumbled then fallen.. and here we are.

I'd say more like 20 years at this point, with some glimpses of good things in the late 2000s-early 2010s.

2 hours ago, presidentjlh said:

I'd say more like 20 years at this point, with some glimpses of good things in the late 2000s-early 2010s.

Hey, I'd like to have that 2011 record:  9-4 ended up ranked # 24.  Beat Ohio State and PSU, Mini, and Iowa in the same year and lost to Michigan and Wiscy (both badly by almost the same exact score). Lost to NW closely (aren't they all) and SC in the bowl game.  

We didn't know how good we had it.  

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

We also knew going into the season that 4-5 wins would be improvement, and 6 would get us a bowl game.  

We also knew we had to play the first 2 games on the road.  Many good college football teams struggle on the road compared to playing at home.

With 10 games still play, regardless of the current record, 5-6 wins is still reachable.  

No one is expecting us to beat Michigan, or possibly Wisconsin.  But the rest of the schedule is typical big ten matchups.  

Maybe we'll get thumped by Maryland's aggressive passing attack.  Who knows.

But if you look at our team, with the rest of the schedule in front of us, we can still reach our goals.  Cut down the turnovers, win a game or two and build off it. 

Also, anything that happened before this year - all of the mistakes and losses piling up, has nothing to do with HC Matt Rhule, his staff, and these players.  All of that build up is before Matt Rhule agreed to come here.  So deal with that first.  

And finally, if anyone looked at last year's 3 win season, with 2 Head Coaches, and expected or predicted 8 wins, 9 wins, or even 7 wins, it's laughable.  Especially when you knew Minnesota was favored to win the opener.  And you knew after watching Colorado rip through TCU and all the hype, that this Huskers team might not win.  

So stop the crying and be a bit of a thinker and more supportive.  We have an entire season still to play out.  And although I agree that all the mistakes are coming from the QB position, and we have unknowns and no depth behind QB1, it still doesn't mean the sky is falling and there is no hope left in Husker world.  Be a sport.  Watch the games.  Root for the N.  Don't cry when they lose.  You certainly didn't cry when the Huskers would blow out s#!tty Kansas or s#!tty Baylor or s#!tty Purdue.  Instead you thumped your chest and cheered with class.  The tables have now changed.  Be a fan win or lose, or just shut up.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
23 minutes ago, admo said:

We also knew going into the season that 4-5 wins would be improvement, and 6 would get us a bowl game.  

We also knew we had to play the first 2 games on the road.  Many good college football teams struggle on the road compared to playing at home.

With 10 games still play, regardless of the current record, 5-6 wins is still reachable.  

No one is expecting us to beat Michigan, or possibly Wisconsin.  But the rest of the schedule is typical big ten matchups.  

Maybe we'll get thumped by Maryland's aggressive passing attack.  Who knows.

But if you look at our team, with the rest of the schedule in front of us, we can still reach our goals.  Cut down the turnovers, win a game or two and build off it. 

Also, anything that happened before this year - all of the mistakes and losses piling up, has nothing to do with HC Matt Rhule, his staff, and these players.  All of that build up is before Matt Rhule agreed to come here.  So deal with that first.  

And finally, if anyone looked at last year's 3 win season, with 2 Head Coaches, and expected or predicted 8 wins, 9 wins, or even 7 wins, it's laughable.  Especially when you knew Minnesota was favored to win the opener.  And you knew after watching Colorado rip through TCU and all the hype, that this Huskers team might not win.  

So stop the crying and be a bit of a thinker and more supportive.  We have an entire season still to play out.  And although I agree that all the mistakes are coming from the QB position, and we have unknowns and no depth behind QB1, it still doesn't mean the sky is falling and there is no hope left in Husker world.  Be a sport.  Watch the games.  Root for the N.  Don't cry when they lose.  You certainly didn't cry when the Huskers would blow out s#!tty Kansas or s#!tty Baylor or s#!tty Purdue.  Instead you thumped your chest and cheered with class.  The tables have now changed.  Be a fan win or lose, or just shut up.  

If you could for a moment put yourself in someone else's shoes, I think you would realize that other fans also support the team, but some think we are going in the wrong direction or are making a mistake. 

In fact I would argue that the Kool Aid drinkers are the one's who need to become a "bit of a thinker", instead of just blindly following whatever statements are issued out of our athletic department.  We were told from on high that Bill Callahan...wait I mean Mike Riley...wait actually it's Scott Frost would lead us to the promised land.  When they didn't then we were told it was one or more players and their issues, then we were told that said coaches just needed more time.  All the statements in your above post have been spoken by "our betters" for the better part of 20 years.  They all turned out to be wrong.

You can absolutely can be positive about this team and coach, I have no problem with that, but there's no need to tell those who disagree with you to shut up.  I will gladly hear out your opinions even if I don't agree, maybe I will even learn something.   You might even want to become a "bit of a listener", and you might learn something from the other side. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 4
2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Hey, I'd like to have that 2011 record:  9-4 ended up ranked # 24.  Beat Ohio State and PSU, Mini, and Iowa in the same year and lost to Michigan and Wiscy (both badly by almost the same exact score). Lost to NW closely (aren't they all) and SC in the bowl game.  

We didn't know how good we had it.  

I get you but to me it's not truly a great season unless you win the conference or finish with less than 4 losses.

2 hours ago, JeffKinney87 said:

If you could for a moment put yourself in someone else's shoes, I think you would realize that other fans also support the team, but some think we are going in the wrong direction or are making a mistake. 

In fact I would argue that the Kool Aid drinkers are the one's who need to become a "bit of a thinker", instead of just blindly following whatever statements are issued out of our athletic department.  We were told from on high that Bill Callahan...wait I mean Mike Riley...wait actually it's Scott Frost would lead us to the promised land.  When they didn't then we were told it was one or more players and their issues, then we were told that said coaches just needed more time.  All the statements in your above post have been spoken by "our betters" for the better part of 20 years.  They all turned out to be wrong.

You can absolutely can be positive about this team and coach, I have no problem with that, but there's no need to tell those who disagree with you to shut up.  I will gladly hear out your opinions even if I don't agree, maybe I will even learn something.   You might even want to become a "bit of a listener", and you might learn something from the other side. 

The Thread & OP literally says "Time to put up or shut up"  :)

Other than that, no worries