Today's Presser

knapplc

Would you care if people were blaming you because your OC forced you to do things you weren't good at without giving you a chance to actually do what comes natural?

Blaming a QB for throwing terrible passes is as fair as fair can be. Just because he's a running QB doesn't mean he gets let off the hook in the passing department. Tim Beck didn't "force" Taylor to do anything. He called passing plays. It's Taylor's fault that he can't throw the ball with any accuracy. If calling passing plays is unfair to a QB, then clearly he shouldn't be under center. FACT.

So we stick in who as QB? Hmmmm? You can't throw you qb to the wolves like beck did. The kid was rattled, clearly rattled...watch those back to back sacks. Taylor bailed and the pocket hadn't even started collapsing. At that point you have GOT to take the pressure off of him. The game was still well in reach there was no need to force things and those play calls were forced everybit as much as each pass that was picked.

So take a look at Georgia Tech, Navy, Air Force and tell their coach they have to sling the ball all over because they have a quarterback. I just don't understand how people can argue this when we throw what was it 15 or 16 times out of 17 plays. That's insane! How many balanced teams do this? Stop and think about that.

I don't necessarily think that Martinez is needed at another position. We just need to tailor the system to better fit his skill set. We saw one formation and one play out of that formation on saturday that I think would have helped this group of athletes we have far better than what we are doing right now. Maybe I'm wrong. Let me be clear about this as well, we don't need to abandon our system we have right now. Just some tweaks that can help a young team get better. Not worse.

This is the formation we should be taking advantage of, not for a whole game...but give it more looks.

EDIT: well that did turn out quite like i had hoped...i'm basically just talking about flexbone. Note: don't trying to draw a picture of an offense by typing up with alot of spaces. lol

Remember when Florida lost to ole miss and Tebow came out practically crying to the media and swore he would do whatever was humanly possible to keep them from loosing another game....yeah Martinez is never going to do that so quit expecting him too, love him or hate him this is always the kind of press conference he's going to have.

I think Pelini should bar Martinez from talking to the media. These pressers are not doing him or the team any favors. On one hand, he and the whole team do need to move on and only concentrate on tOSU. On the other hand it would be nice to see/hear him acknowledge and explain the mistakes that were obviously made. I was not impressed with his curt, say nothing answers and they shed no light whatsoever on what the real problems might be but, in the end, it really is an unwinnable situation for him. There are only 2 possible solution; 1-Get him a personality transplant or 2-Shut off media access to him. And it's not just Martinez. Bo's coaches show is also a total waste of air time. "have to prepare better" "need to make better decisions" "the process" blah blah blah. Nobody is learning anything about this team from either of these 2 guys. I think they show a high amount of disdain towards a very loyal but also highly critical fanbase. I think a lot of the criticism for them feeds off of the attitude they exude. The fans and media can be cruel and stupid at times but I sense Pelini and Martinez would rather neither one existed.

This might come as a shock to you, so you may want to sit down.

Taylor Martinez isn't a pro athlete. He's a college student. He's not earning millions of dollars a year, he's on scholarship. He is dealing with the pressure, he's just doing it in a way that the press doesn't like. I say screw the press.

I will be on the side of the college student 100% of the time in that scenario. The press don't deserve a damned thing from a college student.

+1...well said

I don't mind if he's not the best speaker in the world. Check this video of Tannehill from A&M.

http://v4.texags.com/Stories/3100 - Interview with Ryan Tannehill

Tannehill has just lost 2 games in a row due to bad second half performances by the offense. The fans are upset I'm sure. He's not the greatest speaker, but he says what he is feeling. And you can tell he cares. Taylor's standoffish attitude, and answering questions with 'whatever,' gives the impression that he doesn't care. We all care so much about this team, this football program, this state.. We just want a quarterback who will do the same.

Would you care if people were blaming you because your OC forced you to do things you weren't good at without giving you a chance to actually do what comes natural?

Blaming a QB for throwing terrible passes is as fair as fair can be. Just because he's a running QB doesn't mean he gets let off the hook in the passing department. Tim Beck didn't "force" Taylor to do anything. He called passing plays. It's Taylor's fault that he can't throw the ball with any accuracy. If calling passing plays is unfair to a QB, then clearly he shouldn't be under center. FACT.

So we stick in who as QB? Hmmmm? You can't throw you qb to the wolves like beck did. The kid was rattled, clearly rattled...watch those back to back sacks. Taylor bailed and the pocket hadn't even started collapsing. At that point you have GOT to take the pressure off of him. The game was still well in reach there was no need to force things and those play calls were forced everybit as much as each pass that was picked.

So take a look at Georgia Tech, Navy, Air Force and tell their coach they have to sling the ball all over because they have a quarterback. I just don't understand how people can argue this when we throw what was it 15 or 16 times out of 17 plays. That's insane! How many balanced teams do this? Stop and think about that.

I do agree with you that Beck should have established the run more and used Martinez for short to mid range play action passes (where his throwing is some what decent). However where I disagree is with Martinez running out of the pocket because he was rattled. Martinez can't stay in the pocket rattled or not. Martinez is a tremendous athlete. The problem is he lacks alot of the basic fundementals of being a QB and relies to much on his athletic ability to carry him through. Raw ability will help you against lesser opponents, but not against an equallly able opponent.

Taylor Martinez press conference

:facepalm:

No emotion. No accountablity. Didn't even look like he cared at all.

I think we put Taylor under too much of a microscope sometimes because we all know he stumbles all over himself in interviews, and so we look for it. I know he looks stupid when he does it, but what do we want out of the guy? Should he go up there and start dropping years and passionately croak out some poetic wistfulness?

I wouldn't, if I were in his shoes. This whole media charade...there's a time for it. But especially in the wake of a big loss like this, it's just a distraction, and the team needs to be curt and just tune everything out. Brief, business like, to the point. Keep your head down, say whatever will pass for an "interview", and get back to work.

I can't believe I'm saying this about Taylor. I am not doing my daily job of thinking of the most vicious slander to hurl at the guy today. I'm off my game, bshirt!

* Granted, I am saying all of this without having seen the presser. Maybe I'll think differently afterwards.

No but act like you freaking give a damn. Us fans care. Just read the thread on the guy who is worried about showing his face at work due to getting grief over the Huskers.

Seriously? Thats how you want him to react after a game... Can't people just get over Tebow yet? I would be pissed if he was crying and saying that crap after a game. He should already be pushing the team as hard as he can and playing as hard as he can.

A simple, "I made some bad decisions that didn't put our team in a position to win this game. I have to learn from this performance and get better from it. I'm looking forward to next weeks game" would've been just fine for me. Not some speech to the media, IMO.

Martinez's attitude in that presser sucked! He didn't do himself any favors with the media. If you don't want to talk to them that's fine, but that kind of crap has no place in a press conference. And that's not an attack on Martinez personally, I would hold any player accountable for that kind of attitude.

This thing has gotten out of control. It started last year, and it's continued into this year, even before this game. The fans and the media are simply over the top with the criticism of this one individual. Amazingly, it's gotten better on this board more recently (considering how bad it was during the offseason and at the end of last year). But it's amazing how many posts I see on Facebook from Husker fans absolutely ripping Martinez apart.

Martinez is like the Nebraska version of Britney Spears - he's the celebrity that people love to hate. It's messed up. People are more critical of Martinez and more passionate about Martinez than they are about Obama or the Supreme Court or anything that actually matters. He's just a kid playing football, trying to do his best and he has at least half of an entire state coming down on him as if he's the antichrist. I can't count the number of people I've seen that not only want him benched, but they say he should quit, he should leave the program, the state, etc.

I'm pretty much done talking about Martinez, because there's just nothing else to be said. He has some things he needs to improve on, just like everybody else on the team, and I hope he keeps working his ass off to get better and to prove everybody wrong. If/when he does that, we'll see a giant flood of fans hop back on to the bandwagon, and they'll celebrate his accomplishments like all the greats that came before him, but I can't blame him for hating the fans or the media right now or at any time in the future. This is when the team needs the fans' support more than ever, and at least for Taylor Martinez, there is only a very select few that are in his corner. Pretty sad to see from Husker Nation.

There was even an incident in the parking lot after one of the games where some nimrod yelled something at Niles in front of his family, as I recall.

I draw the line at crap like that. When you have to make it personal and straight-up attack the player himself over it, you've gone too far.

Most of what I've seen here so far (What would you rather do than watch Taylor throw, Give Taylor a nickname, etc.) seems fairly tongue-in-cheek to me. It's not flattering obviously, but I don't see it as an intended personal attack on Taylor.

I completely agree with that. I don't think any of it has been too personal. I have been called names or ridiculed before, and I stood up for myself and got pissed whenever it occurred. I don't blame Martinez for standing up for himself and getting pissed if he feels like he's being attacked. It's only human. As much as it is human nature for people to point fingers or call names when they are frustrated, the same as it will be human nature for a man to defend his character when he feels he is under attack. As a competitor, I expect nothing less from Martinez. Now the true answers come out about his character as a competitor when we see how he responds to the challenges he will face here at Nebraska. The questions about his personal character don't need to be answered to any of us dipsh*t fans here. We are f'ing' football fans. We gripe when we lose, we cheer when we win. I don't know Taylor personally, and most all of us here don't either. Taylor doesn't need to please any of us, on or off the field. As long as he feels good about himself when he lays down at night. As long as he knows the people he cares about are proud of him......that's it. The rest is MEANINGLESS. This is after all....JUST A GAME. I think Ndamukong Suh put it best when he was called a dirty player by many fans and media............"I'll consider myself dirty when my mom calls me dirty". Well Taylor, if you let the fans or media affect you in such a way......Call your mom or dad and see what they have to say about it. When they question who you are, then you may look in the mirror and consider some changes. If they stand by you just the way you are, then you have nothing to worry about.