Today's Presser

knapplc

This might come as a shock to you, so you may want to sit down.

Taylor Martinez isn't a pro athlete. He's a college student. He's not earning millions of dollars a year, he's on scholarship. He is dealing with the pressure, he's just doing it in a way that the press doesn't like. I say screw the press.

I will be on the side of the college student 100% of the time in that scenario. The press don't deserve a damned thing from a college student.

+1...well said

I lol'd when I listened to Taylor's presser and he answered a question with "just...yeah, whatever you just said."

Yeah, he got a bit twitchy and defensive at the end. It was kinda concerning. I guess. The rest of it was no big, but he does come off a bit disrespectful to the reporters asking him questions, and that's not great.

I don't think there's anything too big to read into here though.

And he deserves it. He's a sports figure. Part of the job description is taking grief when you perform poorly and being able to deal with it. Plenty of NFL players take flak week in and week out without acting snotty in a press conference. If that's what he wants to be, then he needs to learn to deal with the pressure on and off the field. College football isn't all marching bands, fight songs, and cheers no matter what idyllic image we have.

Taylor Martinez isn't a pro athlete. He's a college student. He's not earning millions of dollars a year, he's on scholarship. He is dealing with the pressure, he's just doing it in a way that the press doesn't like. I say screw the press.

I will be on the side of the college student 100% of the time in that scenario. The press don't deserve a damned thing from a college student.

Boom. Agree 100%.

And he deserves it. He's a sports figure. Part of the job description is taking grief when you perform poorly and being able to deal with it. Plenty of NFL players take flak week in and week out without acting snotty in a press conference. If that's what he wants to be, then he needs to learn to deal with the pressure on and off the field. College football isn't all marching bands, fight songs, and cheers no matter what idyllic image we have.

Boom. Agree 100%.

Thank you!

To many people attacking the kid who is trying to do his best. Get over yourself dorks, your excuses are lame for why you attack him.

Look, if you dont think he should play, great. Say that. You dont need to be losers about it and call him names and so on.

Boom. Agree 100%.

Thank you!

To many people attacking the kid who is trying to do his best. Get over yourself dorks, your excuses are lame for why you attack him.

Look, if you dont think he should play, great. Say that. You dont need to be losers about it and call him names and so on.

Only names I've seen him called are t-ragic. Which is pretty stupid. Just call him martinez if you think the T-magic nickname is stupid, thats what I do

Thank you!

Here we ago again. If you question his skill set you attack him. Teach....please go in and add the same response to the Fischer and DB threads.

Just watched Martinez's presser. That has to be alarming to fans, even casual ones. I'm a proponent of flushing bad games down the toilet to an extent, but you have to take responsibility and own up to your bad games. His deflection of questions about the game and canned answer of "better decisions" shows a lack of accountability IMO.

You'd have to have seen the context in which he's been shredded by the press and fans around here to have a better understanding of why he answered those questions the way he did. He wasn't joking when he said it didn't matter how he answered the questions, he'd still get ripped for it.

Just look at the responses to this thread, and other threads around here. There are people who call themselves Husker fans who act like they hate the guy.

I agree, it's embarrassing.

Any QB at a big school gets ripped. SEC QBs get ripped. Russell Wilson will get ripped if he has a bad game. Kellen Moore got ripped last season after losing to Nevada. Zac Lee got ripped. Zac Taylor got ripped. Sam Keller got ripped. Should I keep going? And you all know who you are, the ones who ripped on Zac Lee and then come back and call us bad fans when we rip Martinez. Any QB that comes to a big time football program should be expecting to take lumps after a bad game/season, its just the way it is.

Nobody here hates Taylor

Don't tell me that when we're having to remove threads ripping into our QB. Maybe everyone didn't see it, but there was a lot of hate directed at him after the game.

Hating him playing QB is different from hating him as a person. He may be the coolest person ever for all I know. But as far as being a QB, I think he is best suited for a diff position. But he will be our QB this season bc we don't have anyone else. That is more telling about the coaching and development of players.

So ripping him does no good when we aren't playing to his strengths. We have no other experienced qb and Taylor can run with the ball well. If we set him up to succeed and he still fails then he can catch a lot of flak. The kids what 20? 21? You expect him to put off model citizen when he's disappointed and doesn't feel like talking to the media. People expect him to be able to control himself but our own head coach still has trouble with it.

The kid's upset...translation he cares. The kid clearly feels like he is being overly criticized hence his comment at the end. He has made better strides in a lot of areas but he's still just a sophomore and he is learning a new offense.

Here we ago again. If you question his skill set you attack him. Teach....please go in and add the same response to the Fischer and DB threads.

Stop with the straw men. This isn't what people are talking about at all.

Gonna be a long year Knapp

Maybe, but we're not going to make it any shorter by going down that road. Nobody is upset that people are griping about Taylor's mistakes. It's when we start calling for the non-existent backup and/or knocking him down personally that we deviate from real conversation.

We're going with Martinez this year, all year. Buckle up. Let's hope it gets better.

Thank you!

Come on, you know what I mean, don't you?

Look, saying that a guy is a "bad tackler" is not the same as saying some of the things about T-mart. If you want, copy and paste my response and put it in that other thread you mentioned.

Let's be honest about college football for a second. College football is big business. Martinez is the lead employee (he doesn't get paid, of course, but that's for another thread) of the team that that business is marketing to its customers. Yes, he is a college student. But his primary "job" is not his education, its football. The "student athlete" is, in nearly all cases, a myth that we perpetuate to make ourselves feel better about not paying these kids. Taylor is here to play football and get a shot at making a living of it in the pros. If he wants that dream (which, statistically, I'd bet he does), he needs to start working toward it NOW, not after he graduates. Dealing with a hostile press is part of the audition for the NFL, especially at QB.

Most of what I've seen here so far (What would you rather do than watch Taylor throw, Give Taylor a nickname, etc.) seems fairly tongue-in-cheek to me. It's not flattering obviously, but I don't see it as an intended personal attack on Taylor.

How would you see it if you were Taylor? Swinging this back around to the original subject of this whole huge sidebar, which was Taylor's boorish behavior at the presser, if you read anything like that about you after a game, how would you react? Would that endear you to the fans?

It's all well and good for some people (not you, Hammerhead) to say that he's supposed to be able to take the grief that comes along with being QB at a high-profile school like Nebraska, but "taking it" doesn't mean allowing it to happen without reaction. He's not a robot, and in the context of some of the S I've seen flung his way, I don't blame him for his statements.

Good points knapplc. It must not be fun for TMart or any of the guys on the team. And that is too bad.

These guys are kids and taking all the gruff in the media is really, really a difficult thing for anyone --- so when it is a 20-year old kid... that is especially tough. We fans, myself included, need to recognize this and not ridicule these kids. So...

i agree that TMart had a tough row to hoe in that interview and we should cut him some slack. He is, I'd imagine, trying his best. Moreover, he us one of us --- he chose to be a Husker and we should not eat our own.

• Fire 1

Let's be honest about college football for a second. College football is big business. Martinez is the lead employee (he doesn't get paid, of course, but that's for another thread) of the team that that business is marketing to its customers. Yes, he is a college student. But his primary "job" is not his education, its football. The "student athlete" is, in nearly all cases, a myth that we perpetuate to make ourselves feel better about not paying these kids. Taylor is here to play football and get a shot at making a living of it in the pros. If he wants that dream (which, statistically, I'd bet he does), he needs to start working toward it NOW, not after he graduates. Dealing with a hostile press is part of the audition for the NFL, especially at QB.

When college athletes are paid millions of dollars for their services and have the benefit of hiring PR firms to represent them, then you'll have a point. Until then, no matter how much money the sport makes, these students don't make squat, and your premise holds no water.

And to reiterate, he is dealing with the press. He's just doing it in his way, which is to give them nothing. Which I have zero problem with.

• Fire 1