Team Captains & Blackshirts

Team Captains  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know every team and every head coach in the country does this differently. Some name captains for the entire year, while others like Bo tend to allow different team captains throughout the year. My question for all of you Husker fans is this, out of the two choices listed above, which do you think would have a more positive effect for the Nebraska Cornhuskers?

You should change your username.

Ha ha. You're not the first person to tell me that. I put in a request to one of the Admins on the first day I joined for a user name change because I didn't realize that there was already an "EZ-E." So I told the Admin that I wanted to be fair to "EZ-E" and I was requesting a name change, but I have not heard back from him yet.

If you have any suggestions on how I could speed up the process of changing my user name I am all ears. Thanks Dude!

You should tack on another question to your poll: Give out the Blackshirts at the end of Fall Camp. I hate this tradition. More carrot, less stick.

I am on the fence on this one. I'll be the first to admit that I liked the way we gave out the Blackshirts under Osborne and Solich during Fall Camp, but I also see where Bo is coming from by not giving them out yet. He wants them to earn it, and let's be honest, have they really looked like "The Blackshirts" these past few weeks?

Ha ha. You're not the first person to tell me that. I put in a request to one of the Admins on the first day I joined for a user name change because I didn't realize that there was already an "EZ-E." So I told the Admin that I wanted to be fair to "EZ-E" and I was requesting a name change, but I have not heard back from him yet.

If you have any suggestions on how I could speed up the process of changing my user name I am all ears. Thanks Dude!

PM AR Husker Fan. He is usually pretty quick about replying to stuff like this.

That's who I sent my private message to yesterday evening, and I have not heard back from him yet. I am sure he is pretty busy, so I will stay patient.

I've always been a proponent of earning your merits. It seemed too "easy" to get a Blackshirt in the 10 years before Bo. Like they were just handed out because you started on defense. Well, that may have been the case originally and for years after, but then our formerly STINGY defense became known as the Blackshirts but with the feeling that they are in fact STINGY and formidable. I like Bo's philosophy now, that you have to earn it. No free rides. Earn it, bottom line. I applauded Bo when he first took them away from them after a poor performance. Bold, but necessary.

Captains...I want to say that 3-4 permanent captains before the season starts would be best, but sometimes a leader is born midseason. Who knows, leaders are leaders, and to me a captain is just a guy at midfield during the coin toss. I want leaders, not captains. But I guess you could argue they go hand in hand.

It'll cost you though. Damn lawyers <_<

No problem, Duke. :lol:

It was just odd that you started posting here with the EZE name the same day EZ-E stated that he was leaving this joint until after Halloween.

No problem, Duke. :lol:

It was just odd that you started posting here with the EZE name the same day EZ-E stated that he was leaving this joint until after Halloween.

Oh I didn't even know about that. Ha ha...that is pretty funny. :D

I have mixed feelings on the blackshirt issue. I sort of think that if you make the starting unit after fall camp then you should be considered a blackshirt. But, when that unit plays as they have the first 5 games of this season, being called the "blackshirts" kinds of loses it's luster. At this point in time I am simply for whichever method will get them playing more like a blackshirt and less like a doormat. Along with many others, I just wish I knew what that method was.

I have a very strong opinion about the captains. They should be elected by their teammates. 2, 3, 4, 5 however many they deem worthy. Team captains should not be appointed by the coaching staff. The players themselves have a much better idea of who these true team leaders are. Maybe there is a senior "Rudy" type who busts his hump every day but just isn't that gifted. Captains are not necessarily your top stat guys or starting QB. They should be the guys everyone else respects for their work ethic and attitude. If Pelini or other coaches are simply plugging in 4 new names every week, that alone could explain a whole bunch of problems. Maybe they should give them participation ribbons while they're at it. Next thing you know it will be equal playing time for everyone on the team.

As far as captains go I would say the players should elect 2 to 3 guys one from each team (offense, defense, special teams, or someone who bust their ass). And the coaches should select a guy or two they feel has really worked hard that week whether he will see the field or not.

I like how Bo is doing the blackshirts and I do think they need to be earned. But I think they could be handed out after fall camp and taken away if you fail to perform, with the ability to EARN it back. And if something like this year happens then the whole D loses the privilge of getting a blackshirt until things are righted.

I'm indifferent about the Blackshirts thing, but I would say that I might be slightly tilted towards them being earned.

As far as captains go, I prefer permanent captains. I like the idea of leaders being determined and having it be something players can strive for. Four captains every game of the season is almost half the team.