Phillip Dillard calls for the replacement of Martinez at QB

http://twitter.com/#!/Phil_Dillard/status/120314321749291008

http://twitter.com/#!/Phil_Dillard/status/120321677992267776

I wanna know if u can name a worst thrower in "CFB"... Well u other 21 players keep playing hard so we can win

I've only said it 100 times take number 3 out just like last year omfg!!!!

Wonder how many of the other former and current players feel this same way?

Brion Carnes should be starting right now. Martinez can lose you a game faster than winning you one. Carnes is still a good runner and by far the better passer. Have Carnes hand the ball off to our great backfield, and play action out of the spread or under center to our playmakers at wideout and tight end.

Ill take consistency over a few big runs a game. People will still say he has more experience, he's SO fast, who gives a shi* the kid can't play QB at this level. Pelini won't take him out as we've seen, even when he has one ankle.

• Fire 3

"It is better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt" -Abraham Lincoln

PhilDill's sophomore year was utterly forgettable. He contributed to the single worst defense this program has witnessed in 40 years that year. I do not recall a single former player publicly calling for his benching that year, or any other of his sad career. Martinez is at least trying, but making bad decisions while doing it. Dillard was a case of absolute lack of effort. He's embarrassing himself with these tweets. Sad.

• Fire 6

"It is better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt" -Abraham Lincoln

PhilDill's sophomore year was utterly forgettable. He contributed to the single worst defense this program has witnessed in 40 years that year. I do not recall a single former player publicly calling for his benching that year, or any other of his sad career. Martinez is at least trying, but making bad decisions while doing it. Dillard was a case of absolute lack of effort. He's embarrassing himself with these tweets. Sad.

Wasn't he benched in 2008, and remained in the doghouse until the VT game in '09?

Wasn't he benched in 2008, and remained in the doghouse until the VT game in '09?

Come now Knapp. You saw how good Cory Mckeon played early before Cosgrove ruined him. Don't blame Dillard for the entire defense. He was solid as a senior.

• Fire 1

I'd like to see Carnes get a shot (and still think he deserved one against Wisconsin), but if the coaches are still saying Martinez is the guy, I have to believe that he is.

In the grand scheme of things, I'd like to see Martinez's athletic ability used at a position other than QB. Maybe slot receiver, as others have mentioned. That raises two questions, though: would he be willing to switch from QB to WR, and if he did would we have a QB that could put the ball in his hands? Unfortunately, right now I think the answer to both questions is no, but I hope that Carnes gets an opportunity to prove myself and the coaches wrong and does so. Even if Martinez has no interest in switching to WR, it'd be good to at the very least give him some competition for the starting job.

I'd like to see Carnes get a shot (and still think he deserved one against Wisconsin), but if the coaches are still saying Martinez is the guy, I have to believe that he is.

In the grand scheme of things, I'd like to see Martinez's athletic ability used at a position other than QB. Maybe slot receiver, as others have mentioned. That raises two questions, though: would he be willing to switch from QB to WR, and if he did would we have a QB that could put the ball in his hands? Unfortunately, right now I think the answer to both questions is no, but I hope that Carnes gets an opportunity to prove myself and the coaches wrong and does so. Even if Martinez has no interest in switching to WR, it'd be good to at the very least give him some competition for the starting job.

Earlier in the week I said the coaches should give him a half. See how he plays. If he is shaky, or doesn't play well, put in Carnes.

The dude was drafted into the NFL. Doesn't matter what he did as a sophomore. He was a sophomore on one of the worst teams NU has fielded. He wasn't handling the rock on every offensive play, like Taylor does. He is a very visible player saying what needs to be said.

Taylor is not a QB. He is a extremely talented fast straight line runner. Taylor is surrounded by a lot of weapons. He is calling out the staff from a distance. Bo has put his job at NU on Taylor. If Taylor is successful than he stays. If Taylor to lose the big games, Bo will be forced out. Solich found that out. 4 loss seasons for a top 10 talent is not going to get at NU.

When has NU had this much young talent and overall talent at WR, RB and TE's and Special Teams? It is all lost if the QB can't get the ball to the right personnel.

• Fire 1

Come now Knapp. You saw how good Cory Mckeon played early before Cosgrove ruined him. Don't blame Dillard for the entire defense. He was solid as a senior.

But he's not criticizing Martinez as a senior. To this point we have no idea if Martinez will have a Dillard-like resurgence in his senior year. We're talking solely about Martinez as a sophomore, and the best comparison would be (for this pot/kettle conversation) would be Dillard in his sophomore year. I seem to recall a number of blown assignments, whiffed tackles, broken arm tackles, etc. If we're giving Dillard a pass on that (and McKeon) because of Cosgrove's horrific coaching, then let's give Martinez the benefit of the same doubt.

Regardless of any of that, it is utter bush league BS to go on a public forum and denounce your alma mater's QB like that. If he has gripes, if he has legitimate gripes because of inside info, then he is welcome to voice those gripes to his boys on the team and his former teammates. Not only is that acceptable, it's expected of an alum. But the absolute LAST thing he should do, ever, is to go on Twitter, Facebook, give an interview, anything, and call for Marty's benching like that.

I listened to Crouch on the Adrian Fiala show on 93.7 the other day, talking about Martinez. He had criticisms of course, but he kept it civil, and he commiserated with what Marty's going through as a sophomore. Off the air I'm sure Crouch is much more descriptive in his commentary about what we're all seeing on the field, but publicly he kept it nice, almost friendly, about Martinez. That's a great example, and one Dillard could benefit from.

The dude was drafted into the NFL. Doesn't matter what he did as a sophomore. He was a sophomore on one of the worst teams NU has fielded. He wasn't handling the rock on every offensive play, like Taylor does. He is a very visible player saying what needs to be said.

Taylor is not a QB. He is a extremely talented fast straight line runner. Taylor is surrounded by a lot of weapons. He is calling out the staff from a distance. Bo has put his job at NU on Taylor. If Taylor is successful than he stays. If Taylor to lose the big games, Bo will be forced out. Solich found that out. 4 loss seasons for a top 10 talent is not going to get at NU.

When has NU had this much young talent and overall talent at WR, RB and TE's and Special Teams? It is all lost if the QB can't get the ball to the right personnel.

I don't give a damn if he's drafted into the NFL. What does that have to do with throwing the QB of his alma mater under the bus in public? Do you see Suh doing that? Do you see Crouch doing that? Since when did getting drafted into the NFL validate a college career? Do you know how many brilliant college players never get drafted? The NFL has NOTHING to do with how good a player is in college.

• Fire 1

Where's his criticism of the embarrassing defensive performance?

You would think he would've noticed.

Taylor was a part of the loss for sure, but there's plenty of blame to go around. Taylor threw the picks, but he wasn't the one who allowed Wisconsin to turn them into 21 points (or allow the other 27 points either).

This has been covered before, in another thread. It's really a low-class move by Dillard. He deserves all the criticism he gets for going public and tweeting like this. It doesn't mean his personal opinion of Taylor is justified or unjustified, although it is based on two years ago.

But I hope we stop turning around and start revising our opinion of the guy as the player he turned out to be for us in the end, based on something completely unrelated to his play. Dillard was a promising player who had some struggles, but really busted his ass and turned it around in '09. For that he has my gratitude. For this he has my 'WTF, man. you should know better.'