What is a True Husker Fan?

First of all, yes, I am a first time poster, but am someone who has read this board (and others) religiously for years to get info, to keep up with, and just be amongst other rabid husker fans year round. Time allows me to read, but to not post, so i have refrained this whole time. I am not a troll, but am someone who is ready to post after finally reading enough of this BS. First I have to ask, what makes a Husker fan? Is it someone who openly supports their team through good times(90's) and bad(2000's), no matter the criticisim they recieve at work, from rival fans, etc., or someone who can sit in their living room and badmouth the team, coaches and whoever else that doesn't live up to their expectations, all while not having to show their true face or name? I am all for an active debate on topics such as defensive alignments, offensive plays, the gameplan for upcoming opponents, etc., but to continuously and negatively spew the bs that has come about on this board and many others is starting to show our true colors as the spoiled and entitled must win society that we have become.

I remember the years of Osborne and how he struggled to win the bowl games against speedier opponents. I remember the ones in which a call here or there decided a championship, or just another top five finish. The thing that set it apart from today, was that fact that the criticism was done in local coffee shops, in the stadium, or at someone's home during the game.....IN PERSON. If you criticized, everyone saw who it was and you had to back up your claims. Now, anyone can come on here and spew hate and criticisim knowing that no one will know who they are and that they cannot not held accountable for it, which is unlike what the players and coaches have to answer to, because they cannot hide. If you yelled at a quarterback in the past at a game, they could see who it was, as could several hundred fans around you, thus keeping things in check. Now, that same person can Boldly(insert sarcasm) comment on here and remain anonymous.

I am as frustrated as anyone and as competitive as anyone when it comes to not only Husker football, but life, but I have realized that negativity does nothing but break down people and solves absolutely nothing. If you have kids, you should know this. Speaking of which, those of you criticizing, would you be doing and saying the same things about replacing the quarterback, safety, etc,. if it was your son, or would you want to encourage and support them to get better? So i go back to my original question, What makes a true Husker fan? Only you can answer that i guess, but please think about it, because these players and coaches have enough to worry about week in and week out from the other teams and fans throughout the country and national media, without having to also deal with it from their own.....so called fanbase.

Ok, I'm done, I hope some of you think hard about this and begin actually supporting the team and not being part of the problem. I for one will be at the game tomorrow, standing, cheering and supporting my team, because they need it, and as a fanbase, so do we.........

dogjumpfromcar.gif

It also makes the point that people need a place to come and hide to discuss these things, because without it this board and the many others, they would have to face people head on, which most people wouldn't do. it is easy to call people out in hiding, but to do it face to face is much more difficult.

Really?

This is a discussion forum. That's what we do here. Not all of the discussion is going to be positive. That's just how it is.

I didn't sign up on Huskerboard because I needed a place to "hide from the players". That's ridiculous.

And no one is twisting yours to support the Big Red....It is just amusing to me that I can't come on here and say what i think without getting bashed, but it is ok for you to say something and not have someone like me question it. isnt this what this board is about? differing views?

Yep, it sure is. Apparently a lot of people's views differ from yours. You're bashing people for having differing opinions. It's a two-way street.

Husker B has sand in his vagina methinks

I for one can't stand the negativity. I have friends that constantly talk sh#t about how awful we are, how awful X player is, joke of a program, etc etc. Yet they wear red and tailgate every Saturday and go to games. I'm not gonna call them "not true fans" or whatever but I just don't like negativity in general. Some people choose to show their fandom or fanhood (or whatever word I probably just made up) by criticizing constantly. Fine. I don't support that route at all, but I'm not going to change anyone. I'm a fan that chooses to look at the positives and support the team in more of a positive way. I don't talk sh#t constantly and I don't hop over to cheer for other teams, like some people that I know (jumped over to Florida and Oregon, ugh, just get out of this state). My point is, negative fans may not be "less of a fan" than anyone else but they sure are annoying...as a fan of a team I thought part of the deal was standing by them through thick and thin. Which I am going to continue to do.

• Fire 1

A lot of us have grown very cynical after 11 years of coming up short. Nebraska football is about winning championships, and doing it the right way. We haven't seen this since Mike Brown was punishing fools who dared cross the middle. Since then, though, one way or another, year after year, a sold out Memorial Stadium sees the boys in red just not getting it done.

Take 2004, for instance.

Sure, we had a new coach, new offense, all that. I understand. But we lost 70-10 to a Texas Tech team that really wasn't that good. Think about that score for a second. SEVENTY to TEN. A couple years ago, I saw some tape an Omaha high school coach had gotten from 2004 Red Raider spring camp. Offensive stuff - drill work for linemen, their philosophy on receiving vs. the zone, that kind of stuff. I was starting to understand a lot about why Mike Leach is an actual mad scientist until something hit me real hard. Those linemen, receivers, everyone on the team - all of them were practicing in the 95 degree heat in a flippin' SANDLOT. Seriously, it was half dirt, half grass. Outside. In the heat.

While we have every amenity a college athlete could ever need.

It reminded me of the movie Rocky IV when Sly is out throwing logs and lifting wagons while Drago is in the gym surrounded by experts and scientists using high tech machinery to prepare for the fight. The Raiders were Rocky with their sandlot. I would like to say we were Drago with our facilities field and weight training in that situation, but at least Drago delivered several blows and had the upper hand for awhile. We never had a chance in that game.

I still bleed Husker red no matter what, but we lost something in Boulder in 2001. Competitiveness, manhood...I don't know. But we haven't gotten it back yet. And we're still waiting.

Is it really ridiculous. Would you be willing to voice your same concerns face to face with Bo, or Taylor, or Compton, or whoever else isn't living up to lofty expectations? And you can sure say that again about not all of the discussion being positive......should be called HuskerBASH........

You're damn right I would. I stand strong in my beliefs until they are proven wrong.

If all the complaining gets to you so much, you have two options: you can join the chorus of complaining, sing off-key, and wonder why people are giving you dirty looks, or you can pack it up and GTFO.