Barfknecht: Peevish postgame does NU no favors

also, rittenberg, it's called wikipedia, you'll find all of bo's ties to ohio you'd ever want

Not if I go in and say Bo Pelini is from the Czech Republic he won't. Ah, good ole' wikipedia.

my point stands, that information is already accessible. also, if you did change wikipedia, you should add something more exciting than that. like bo stole dirk long love, and that explains this animosity. it would at least make more sense then what is going on.

finally, the more this goes on, the more it appears to be owh's attempt at stirring a controversy for page hits, regardless of the false light and damage they must create. never thought the owh would be so pernicious to the program, honestly because i always thought it was just too damn lazy.

This is nothing new. Shatel was doing this a long time ago. They have always been the stirrers of the pot.

finally, the more this goes on, the more it appears to be owh's attempt at stirring a controversy for page hits, regardless of the false light and damage they must create. never thought the owh would be so pernicious to the program, honestly because i always thought it was just too damn lazy.

This is nothing new. Shatel was doing this a long time ago. They have always been the stirrers of the pot.

i just think of all of the impressionable readers who will eat this up. it upsets me. how else can bo retaliate for such a biased story as dirks other than the presser. who is writing the other side of the story? huskerboard? no one cares about us.

also, the more i read and figure out the more stupid this all becomes. it is such a non-issue. everyone did what they were entitled to, we are not arguing over anything of substance, just how we do not like how one person treated another. this is not middle school. there are no laws that make people be nice to each other. we should just forget... oh, what's that, it is a by week? well then carry on hb, owh, whoever else.

i just think of all of the impressionable readers who will eat this up. it upsets me. how else can bo retaliate for such a biased story as dirks other than the presser. who is writing the other side of the story? huskerboard? no one cares about us.

Actually no one really reads the newspaper anymore so i think were good.

Poor "Bar-Fly"....can't get the reaction he wants from Pelini?? He also metioned about how Pelini is now in the BIG and needs to "behave"? I wonder how much crying Bar-Fly would do if he ever interviewed or asked questions to a former Big Ten coach name Bobby Knight - yes I know it's basketball, but that's besides the point. To be honest, I think 80 % of Huskerboard members could write better articles. To make it worse, his damn mug-shot looks like a used car salesman

He's right though, Bo's got to come around to the realization that he can use them as a way to advance whatever agenda he wants if he got along with them.

The media also needs to realize they aren't the Woodward and Bernstein style romanticized journalists of yesteryear... They are whores for adclicks and pageviews. They spend half the press conference trying to frame responses by asking stupidly leading questions to get a quote they've already predetermined they want to write and that is going to piss anyone with a brain off.

Frankly I cant watch the press conferences anymore, and it's not because of Pelini's reactions to those stupid questions because that's justified... (Although he should make a game out of it, not by giving stupid answers back, but by giving the most bland boring nondescript answers he can think of). I cant watch them because when half the questions get asked I get embarrassed that whoever asked it is a member of the same species.

Frankly Nebraska doesn't need the Omaha World herald anymore (nobody does), nor do they need any of the local news channels. They could simply produce everything they do in house and distribute it online and on NET and cut out the middlemen. The one original piece of information I can remember them reporting in years was the "officials said they were going to screw Nebraska over at aTm to Bo" piece. How did they get that gem? following him around to get a one on one. The only reason it was original is because Bo talked about what was pretty much obvious to anyone that watched that game.

I don't think the media should be writing all puff pieces of course, but their job, despite people like Barfkneckt's delusions of grandeur about it, is actually just to cover the program/sport... They are essentially a PR arm of it, not actual press. Somehow they've gone delusional enough to try to compete with the rumor or fan takes on social media for criticism and page-views. Yet they don't realize that they are covering people and if you attack someone they probably are going to be unhappy about it.

So I guess bottom line is it's a two way street, but the press around here needs Nebraska a whole hell of a lot more then Nebraska needs the "mainstream" press.

Excellent post!

The fish wraps aren't what they used to be and that's not changing.

GBR!!

Some of this discussion is less about whether you're with Dirk or Bo, and more about what you think of how Bo deals with the media, and I think there have been threads about that topic since the beginning of the internet.

Some people want Bo to be Tom Osborne. Others, including myself, don't care how testy he gets with the media, especially when he's rightly defending his players from unfair criticism. I just don't think he needs to be a press secretary. He's a football coach, his players need to see that he has their backs, and while fans and the media might not appreciate moments like Saturday nights press conference, I'm guessing the players feel quite differently, and those are the guys Bo is working for - not the fans or the media.

Bo doesn't even answer legitimate football questions in the interviews. I don't even care to watch his pressers anymore because he says the same damn things every week. The only reason I watched this presser was to see what all the fuss was about with Dirk. But, the thing that I remember about it was not that he went off on Dirk, it was this.

"Can you elaborate more about the defensive adjustments that were made in the seond half?" "No"

We complain about stupid questions being asked, then when a good question is asked he won't even give it the time of day. That is a question football fans are curious about. Something that will help fans learn the game a little better, he won't answer them. Why can't he answer these questions? The game is over, its not like tOSU is going to use his presser answer to prepare for next years game.

I won't harp too much on Pelini, just because I've become accustomed to his pressers, but this is probably the most glaring issue I've seen.

A lot of the questions asked of Bo come out stupid and not well put together. But when a legitimate question is asked, even an answer that is somewhat bland is still better than the answer of "no".

Come on, Bo. I've heard you speak before. You can give the simplest of answers to the most difficult of questions. As a fan, it's frustrating to see him be loved by the players and be very animated with them in the locker room (like at the end of this week's Husker Vision video), but then see him be a completely different person in front of the press. He has his reasons and I'm not going to criticize him too much for being the way he is, but I still think opening up a little more could go a long with this fan base and with the media.

He doesn't care what people think of him, but he should to an extent. Saturday night was blatant proof that he does read newspapers and follow the media. So don't kid us when you say you don't pay attention to all that stuff.

That is all. Keep on keepin on, Bo.

Edit - Maybe we could just do away with press conferences and give one reporter sole access to Pelini after the games. He always gives WAY better audio when he's on the radio or doing a one on one interview.

Taylor Martinez Dirk Chatelain, the talented young quarterback writer who finds himself at the center of controversy, much of it of his own making. Bo Pelini Lee Barfknecht, the wise old mentor who has his young player's coworker's back. Who you support in this little drama says a lot about where your loyalties lie.

This is utter crap.

Most of the criticism in this fiasco levied at Pelini has nothing to do with loyalties. I have no loyalty to the press. I am a fan of this program. So when I see the coach acting in what I deem an immature way toward the press, I'll say so. I like what our head coach stands for. I think it speaks volumes when players and recruits say they take his word as golden. I think he has a great mind for the game he teaches.

The overall point that I see being made by posters, who apparently have the unmitigated insolence to call it as they see it, is that the press will be the press. Some of you feel that the DC article was out of line. I didn't think it was a horribly unfair criticism, but that's me. Worse articles have been written and are being written that are directed at athletes, amateur and professional alike. The Nebraska sporting press is not an intimidating gauntlet to walk through. I'd like to see the head coach of MY program take the high road, answer questions (generically or candidly) WITHOUT taking attention away from the game that was played so we can witness a dick measuring contest between him and the local scribe.