Barfknecht: Peevish postgame does NU no favors

Bo doesn't even answer legitimate football questions in the interviews. I don't even care to watch his pressers anymore because he says the same damn things every week. The only reason I watched this presser was to see what all the fuss was about with Dirk. But, the thing that I remember about it was not that he went off on Dirk, it was this.

"Can you elaborate more about the defensive adjustments that were made in the seond half?" "No"

We complain about stupid questions being asked, then when a good question is asked he won't even give it the time of day. That is a question football fans are curious about. Something that will help fans learn the game a little better, he won't answer them. Why can't he answer these questions? The game is over, its not like tOSU is going to use his presser answer to prepare for next years game.

Bo's not going to go too much into the details of his scheme/adjustments. He doesn't want opposing coaches knowing how he or how his assistants think, and he at least wants opposing coaches to have to spend some time in the film room to figure out what Nebraska's doing.

I'd love to see reporters write more about the substance and nuance of the game, but they're not going to get much out of Pelini about his scheme in the middle of the season - they'll have to do their own research. It wouldn't be that hard - guys like Damon Benning and Rob Zatechka are apparently more than willing to insert themselves into the public discourse. I'd like to see journalists put them to work explaining the details of the game, rather than asking about Martinez's passing mechanics for the thousandth time.

Bo doesn't even answer legitimate football questions in the interviews. I don't even care to watch his pressers anymore because he says the same damn things every week. The only reason I watched this presser was to see what all the fuss was about with Dirk. But, the thing that I remember about it was not that he went off on Dirk, it was this.

"Can you elaborate more about the defensive adjustments that were made in the seond half?" "No"

We complain about stupid questions being asked, then when a good question is asked he won't even give it the time of day. That is a question football fans are curious about. Something that will help fans learn the game a little better, he won't answer them. Why can't he answer these questions? The game is over, its not like tOSU is going to use his presser answer to prepare for next years game.

I won't harp too much on Pelini, just because I've become accustomed to his pressers, but this is probably the most glaring issue I've seen.

A lot of the questions asked of Bo come out stupid and not well put together. But when a legitimate question is asked, even an answer that is somewhat bland is still better than the answer of "no".

Come on, Bo. I've heard you speak before. You can give the simplest of answers to the most difficult of questions. As a fan, it's frustrating to see him be loved by the players and be very animated with them in the locker room (like at the end of this week's Husker Vision video), but then see him be a completely different person in front of the press. He has his reasons and I'm not going to criticize him too much for being the way he is, but I still think opening up a little more could go a long with this fan base and with the media.

He doesn't care what people think of him, but he should to an extent. Saturday night was blatant proof that he does read newspapers and follow the media. So don't kid us when you say you don't pay attention to all that stuff.

That is all. Keep on keepin on, Bo.

Edit - Maybe we could just do away with press conferences and give one reporter sole access to Pelini after the games. He always gives WAY better audio when he's on the radio or doing a one on one interview.

Good point here enhance. Every watch a Tiger Woods interview? He just won't give an answer that really says anything. And the reporters still are going to write something, if the interveiwee (is that even a word) won't provide something, that reporter is going to have make something out of nothing, better to have a little bit of control over what is going out than none at all and leave the reporter to write basically whatever he wants.

I don't know, I just thought that was perfect opportunity to really gush over some of you players and how they responded. But I guess that's Bo and he's probably going to continue to do it his way. Someone said earlier Bo's doghouse is a bad, bad place to be, suppose Dirk will ever get out of it?

Bo's not going to go too much into the details of his scheme/adjustments. He doesn't want opposing coaches knowing how he or how his assistants think, and he at least wants opposing coaches to have to spend some time in the film room to figure out what Nebraska's doing.

I'd love to see reporters write more about the substance and nuance of the game, but they're not going to get much out of Pelini about his scheme in the middle of the season - they'll have to do their own research. It wouldn't be that hard - guys like Damon Benning and Rob Zatechka are apparently more than willing to insert themselves into the public discourse. I'd like to see journalists put them to work explaining the details of the game, rather than asking about Martinez's passing mechanics for the thousandth time.

Well here's the thing - Bo wouldn't necessarily have to give much away in order to give a somewhat useful answer.

Reporter - Bo, can you talk about what you changed defensively in the second half?

Bo - No.

-or-

Bo - We rotated bodies and just made some minor schematic changes. Nothing fancy. Really for the most part our players just executed better in the second half.

Boom. Boring answer, but still better than no.

Again, honestly, I don't care that much about it and I don't expect much from Pelini in his pressers. But answers like that would help alleviate some of the pressure he gets from fans and media.

Taylor Martinez Dirk Chatelain, the talented young quarterback writer who finds himself at the center of controversy, much of it of his own making. Bo Pelini Lee Barfknecht, the wise old mentor who has his young player's coworker's back. Who you support in this little drama says a lot about where your loyalties lie.

This is utter crap.

It may very well be crap. It is not utter crap. ;)

Mostly I thought it was funny, the whole Dirk/Taylor thing. The "where your loyalties lie" was over-the-top hyperbole, and zoogies took me to task for it already. If you want to grind on me for that post, you'll have to get in line.

No one's asking for Pelini to put on a John Maddenesque white board presentation. It's pretty easy to give that question a valid answer without scratching much of the surface in regards to scheme.

Coaches answer these questions all the time with general bullets like 'we made some personnel changes to take better advantage of some matchups......we ran some stunts with our D-line.........we ran some more zone in the defensive backfield.............disguised our blitzes better....." etc. There's nothing here that says much of anything specific.

And if opposing coaches are scouring the post game presser for tips on how to beat Nebraska rather than watching film, then Bo should be answering questions like mad, lying his ass off about his scheme to outwit the competition.

Hell, he could have an entire press conference of planted questions and have a field day with the opposition.

Taylor Martinez Dirk Chatelain, the talented young quarterback writer who finds himself at the center of controversy, much of it of his own making. Bo Pelini Lee Barfknecht, the wise old mentor who has his young player's coworker's back. Who you support in this little drama says a lot about where your loyalties lie.

This is utter crap.

It may very well be crap. It is not utter crap. ;)

Mostly I thought it was funny, the whole Dirk/Taylor thing. The "where your loyalties lie" was over-the-top hyperbole, and zoogies took me to task for it already. If you want to grind on me for that post, you'll have to get in line.

Well, the fact that it was apparently somewhat tongue in cheek takes it down to merely 'crap'. Good call. :)

whenever the media suceeds in badgering someone, and they get a reaction, they win.......why play the game? Bo knows his temper will take over and he will look less than a professional HC, but he still can't figure out that is exactly what these goofballs are looking for.....he just needs to be smart enough to guide the media in his favored direction, he can do it, anyone can, he just finds confrontation more satisfying, put the beer bottle down Bo, this will never stop and only get worse.

Well here's the thing - Bo wouldn't necessarily have to give much away in order to give a somewhat useful answer.

Reporter - Bo, can you talk about what you changed defensively in the second half?

Bo - No.

-or-

Bo - We rotated bodies and just made some minor schematic changes. Nothing fancy. Really for the most part our players just executed better in the second half.

Boom. Boring answer, but still better than no.

Again, honestly, I don't care that much about it and I don't expect much from Pelini in his pressers. But answers like that would help alleviate some of the pressure he gets from fans and media.

You are right, but I sort of have the feeling that even if Bo gives that answer, they will ask a follow up that will virtually be the same thing. He gets tired of it fast. He gives a flat no, and they more than likely will be quiet. Unless you are Dirk.

I like Bo, but I'm sort of surprised he let an article, of all things, get to him like that. I don't care if the article was any good, you have to expect some heavy criticism after an embarrassing showing like Wisconsin. Fans said things a thousand times worse. At the end of the day, Bo's a nationally-known millionaire and Barfknecht's a relatively obscure Omaha sportswriter probably making $45,000 a year. Why does Bo need to beat him up with these power games? If he was really hurt/offended by something something Barfknecht wrote, why not pull him aside and have a 10-minute private discussion about it like two reasonable men? The way it's currently being dealt with isn't going to benefit anyone long-term.

"A prominent former employee in the athletic department messaged me and said...."

Seriously Lee? This was one of the main claim-link arguments you used to make your point? Someone saying that exact same thing would get laughed out of every message board, and you put it in the paper.

I'm starting to think the office walls in the OWH look quite similar to the walls in the monkey exhibits at the zoo

• Plus1 1

Yeah because Im sure Brady Hoke and other B1G coaches are watching Bo Pelini's press conferences trying to figure out our defensive schemes. Give me a break.

Just like someone else said, some sort of answer is better than, no. What are the point of these pressers? He answers the same every week. He doesn't answer good questions at all. And he gets pissed when someone asks a dumb question. All he would have had to say was something along the lines of, "in the first half we weren't staying in our lanes very well, we talked about this at halftime and we came out and contained the quarterback a little better."

But Bo didn't go full retard, again, the press was being pretty invasive and malicious in what they were writing. I would be pretty pissed too if I had been asked constant questions about Taylor this and Taylor that instead of Rex this or David that. When the media starts focusing on one guy, it becomes clear that they have an agenda. And even AFTER the win, AFTER Taylor played a very solid game, Bo was still asked questions about him.

Wait . . . what? When the media focuses on one guy . . . WHO HAPPENS TO BE THE STARTING QUARTERBACK AT NEBRASKA . . . they have an agenda?

Good lord. Everyone is out to get us.

When the media focuses on one guy, I don't care if he's the starting QB, the starting RB, or the starting gat damn LEFT TACKLE; it's still blatantly obvious they have an agenda. I'm not claiming the world is out to get us...just trying to objective in what I say.

How many articles in the Omaha World Herald did you read this past week about Rex Burkhead or Levante David or Jared Crick? How many articles did you read about Bo and Taylor? I'd probably say that for the past week, the ratio of Bo and Taylor articles to Burkhead and others articles was probably something like 4:1.

Compare that to how many articles you read in the LJS about Bo and Taylor versus articles in the LJS about Burkhead and others. I'd hazard a guess that it's significantly lower--something like 2:1 or even 1.5:1.

One paper clearly focusing on two aspects of the program instead of the many other players who have kept us together [or have been equally vital in pulling us apart] much more than another shows an agenda.

I have a nephew named gat! He couldn't give a damn either... :cry

(too much?)

Screw you, Barfy. Please move to Detroit and don't come back.
Classy reply. Amazing how people will put up with Bo's childish behavior as long as we are winning.

You know I've never had a problem with Bo's behavior even when we have lost. It's who he is. He's passionate and fiery. That translates into some impressive effort by his kids (most of the time) so why extinguish the fire to be media savvy?