No Excuse for Booing!

I am 64, still very active, too active according to all my doctors. I wore out my knees running. Never believe anyone that tells you it is good for you. I still ride the bike 100-200 miles a week, and it never bothers me. But walking to the garage to get on the damned thing nearly kills me. They tell me these surgeries will be life changing. Sure hope so.

All I ask of you kids, is that you look at those old worn out bodies and realize you are headed there. They love the program every bit as much as you do, and have for a lot more years. I am proud to be a Nebraska fan for over 50 years, and in those 50 some years have never told anyone to set down, nor have I booed an opposing team or ours.

Maybe it is just a different time, but I look at myself as a life long Husker fan, and our actions are supposed to be different than other fan bases.

I am 64, still very active, too active according to all my doctors. I wore out my knees running. Never believe anyone that tells you it is good for you. I still ride the bike 100-200 miles a week, and it never bothers me. But walking to the garage to get on the damned thing nearly kills me. They tell me these surgeries will be life changing. Sure hope so.

All I ask of you kids, is that you look at those old worn out bodies and realize you are headed there. They love the program every bit as much as you do, and have for a lot more years. I am proud to be a Nebraska fan for over 50 years, and in those 50 some years have never told anyone to set down, nor have I booed an opposing team or ours.

Maybe it is just a different time, but I look at myself as a life long Husker fan, and our actions are supposed to be different than other fan bases.

It should be pretty life changing for you skers. My dad is about your age and just had his knee replace a few months back and he already walks better than he did before surgery. Good luck with it and I hope it all turns out good for you.

knapp,

I resemble that remark. I am telling you kids, you have to be tough to get old. It really sucks. Two total knee replacements await me on January 6th. I put it off so I could go to the bowl game. But in the last 6 months I have gotten to the point of walking down any type of descent kills me.

I stand and cheer as long as I can, but things change my young grasshoppers, and most of us old ratty assed blue hairs were once just like you. when you can you do, when you can't the choices are gone.

It happens to all of us, and it truly sucks!!!!!!!

Time waits for no one.

I had total rotater cuff repair last year after a fall on my mountain bike. It has healed and it works perfectly. The same doctor is doing my knees. The last five years of my life have been hell, two heart attacks, pancreatitis twice, two knee surgeries, rotator cuff, and now total replacement of both knees. Yea the golden years are great to look forward to trust me!!!!! If those poor suckers setting down at the stadium have been through what I have it is a miracle they even want to show up. They are to applauded not hated.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. You guys keep me young and invovled, I truly appreciate this board 99% of the time.

As the big 50 looms right around the corner I have to chime in with my .02 worth. My knees are not good and it is tough to stand for an entire game, I would rather sit and watch. But when they stand in front of me, I don't tell anyone to sit down, just have to stand up alongside. But for me to start yelling, I need something on the field to bring that on. I don't think I've ever booed at a game, at either team, I think it takes too much energy, but it certainly doesn't bother me.

As to all the derogatory "blue hair" remarks. Remember who pumps a lot of money into the system. And most importantly to you younger fans, those "blue hair" days are upon you before you know it.

Ok, I understand the frustration when the coaches call a boneheaded play and fans want to boo, but the players don't know who the boos are directed to. There were times during the Callahan era where the players clearly were not trying ... and boos were warranted. But otherwise when a player makes a bad play, but is playing hard, booing has no place. The player feels bad enough already ... why rub it in? How are negative vibes like that going to help the situation? I am not calling people who boo bad people, but it's bad behavior. Nothing wrong with a little tough love by shouting, come on line block! or come on D tackle! That's tough encouragement. Booing is not encouragement. It's not tough love. No, it's not part of a sports event. You guys made that up.

To you young people who don't seem to have much respect for older fans who have a hard time standing but still have a right to go to the game and see the field, you will one day be older, too, and you will be in the same boat as the rest of the "blue hairs." Think about that before you make unkind comments like this. And what is this BLUE HAIR deal? That is very disrespectful. And it's like you want to throw them away. Again, you will be older, too, one day, and you will not appreciate this attitude toward older adults either. Come on, think before you leap.

I'm rewatching this game on DVR, and there's a very important thing that you have to note - the booing you heard on TV was because of strategic placement of the microphones, and not so much because everyone was booing. From Bo's reaction to the boos and the fact that I could barely hear them at the north end zone, I think it's pretty clear that the majority of booing came from the student section.

HOWEVER, there's an important contrast to draw from the TV broadcast. I'm just now watching Ohio State's first possession of the second half, and T-Mo just got banged up, was on the carpet, and is walking off the field. Pretty much the whole stadium was clapping as he got to his feet, it was VERY audible in the stadium, but you can barely hear it on TV.

This is a great lesson - do not depend on what you see or hear on the TV for your game analysis. I was very surprised to hear all of the comments/questions about the booing when I got back from the game. I think the folks sitting near the students and watching on TV know far more about it than those of us in the rest of the stadium. Further, you wouldn't know from watching the TV broadcast, but everyone was applauding when Moore walked off the field. Again, you cannot depend on the TV broadcast to give you an accurate picture of what was going on.

I'm glad I finally got to those two points in the game. I wasn't going to say anything about the booing as I saw it was overblown on TV, but then when you couldn't even hear the applause for Moore, that made up my mind to post about it here.

Hope that helps clear that up.

This is to Knapplc

I sat on the north side section 37 row 73 and I could hear the boo's clearly and I can't hear in my left ear about 90% deaf in that ear. My father, brother, and his wife all heard the boo's as well an was the main topic we discussed after the game

Being deaf its hard figuring out what direction the boo's were coming from but it sounded like it was coming from the west part of the stadium manly because again I can only hear through my right ear.