Missouri application to the SEC "imminent"

knapplc

I can't wait to see how Dan Beebe spins this into Nebraska's fault. Again.

Oh - wait... I forgot that Dan Beebe is no longer relevant. My bad!

Anyway, the news:

Missouri Moves Closer to Joining SEC

The University of Missouri is heading down a path to join the Southeastern Conference, said a university official with direct knowledge of the situation.

The person said that Missouri’s decision to apply for membership to the SEC was “inevitable and imminent,” although a specific timeframe has yet to be set. Missouri’s Board of Curators will meet on Thursday and Friday at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, where the process of withdrawing from the Big 12 and applying to the SEC is expected to begin. Expansion is not listed on the agenda, but there is a private session scheduled Thursday afternoon and Friday morning.

After it applies, the person said that Missouri expected “no problems” with gathering enough votes among SEC presidents for it to become a member.

I wouldn't have been upset to have Missouri in the Big Ten, but clearly this wasn't ever going to happen. Not sure why, but Delany does NOT want them.

Geographically this puts the Big Ten into a bit of a corner. There aren't many connected schools worth adding right now. Perhaps contiguous footprint isn't a big deal anymore, though.

I wouldn't have been upset to have Missouri in the Big Ten, but clearly this wasn't ever going to happen. Not sure why, but Delany does NOT want them.

Geographically this puts the Big Ten into a bit of a corner. There aren't many connected schools worth adding right now. Perhaps contiguous footprint isn't a big deal anymore, though.

Agreed.

I'm not a Mizzou fan obviously and would rather have them stay in the Big XII but if this conference arms race is going to happen we need to be on the winning side of things and that means going after a good school with decent athletics that's in your region and wants to join. I'm not thrilled with this news at all.

Oh and I really hope contiguous footprint is still a big deal. It's part of what makes college football great and why many prefer it over the pro's. Conferences play unique styles of football and teams play their neighbors, there's history and real culture. It's not the NFL where a team from Missouri plays in a division with teams from California, Arizona and Washington.

Pretty funny how SEC fans are reacting to this...half the post in one thread on an SEC forum were complaints that Missouri was not fully committed to the confederacy, and probably won't be fully committed to the SEC. And here I thought Boise playing in the Big East might be the most ridiculous outcome of this whole thing.

FroDaddy--what are your thoughts on this?

And I'll toot my own horn in saying I knew that Missouri was being too damn quiet during the A&M fiasco and that something was up. Missouri's admin operates like that hyper kid in first grade that has to tell the teacher *everything* going on because he didn't get enough attention at home. The kid isn't bad, but his behaviors born from his treatment don't exactly endear him to anyone. :)

Mizzou makes a somewhat good fit for the SEC. They somewhat fit geographically, bring in a Top 25 and a Top 30 market in St. Louis and (some other city, If forget off the top of my head), but aren't a "true" cultural fit. I think this would be a good move by the SEC.

It also adds another AAS University, bringing up the Academic Reputation of the SEC.

They could also slide into either the east or west. I support it.

The culture of Missouri isn't a good fit with the Big 10 and that has a lot to do with it. While they do bring some TV sets they're fans are not know for being great travelers, they have a following when they win but not as great when they lose. And while I state they have lots of TV sets they don't tend to draw big TV ratings. They also had a few schools who don't really want them in the B10 and the conference tends to stick together.

FroDaddy--what are your thoughts on this?

And I'll toot my own horn in saying I knew that Missouri was being too damn quiet during the A&M fiasco and that something was up. Missouri's admin operates like that hyper kid in first grade that has to tell the teacher *everything* going on because he didn't get enough attention at home. The kid isn't bad, but his behaviors born from his treatment don't exactly endear him to anyone. :)

I have 'known' (as much as you can on something this fluid) for over a month or so now. Most MU fans felt it was a done deal 2 weeks ago when MU granted permission to explore options. Another big hint were the public blastings from HCGP. And I can vouch that you and i had conversations in other threads. I wanted to tell you exactly what i had heard, but getting burned last year has kept me on level ground no matter how many "100% going to happen" i heard from people i trust.

As for my feelings about the rumored move...I feel its a good move to make for the simple fact that i have no confidence at all the the big12 will be around in 6 years when the 'new and improved' deal is over with. Fact is we all (the remaining 10) signed a 'new and improved' deal this spring. I dont feel the SEC will be that much different than the big12. There will be a level of teams that are clearly better most years than Mizzou, then the second level of teams the Mizzou will complete with most years, then the third level that Mizzou will beat most years.

I think culturally its tricky. Mizzou is a very southern, north school. The old traditions and the greek life for example are two things that are very southern in their roots and clearly sepertate MU from other 'northern' schools. However Missouri as a whole is a collection of different ideas and people. Half of the state will love it and half will hate it. (much like most things in MO)

I think there are some big pluses but some things will have to improve. I think the ticket demand for teams like LSU, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Arkansas, Alabama, Tenn. and so on will dwarf the demand for KState, Iowa St., TT, Baylor and others. However the athletic budget will have to grow. MU has been middle of the pack in the big12, but would be 13th of the 14 teams in the SEC at their current level of spending. The extra reveunue would grow obviously with more sales and more donations to the MU TSF. Also the possibility of the SEC network would add $$. I think there are somethings in place already that will make the move a little easier. MU's current Recruiting Cordinator came from LSU where he was the head man for Les Miles. Mu has been offereing and getting more kids from the south since he come on a few years back. And the relationships that our AD, coaches & adminstrators have with those in the SEC i think are a small plus. A small note about TX recruiting, although i think there will be some loss i dont beleive it will be like most speculate. Missouri's staff spends a ton of time in TX and has built up 10 years with of relationships. That doesnt go away over night. Also, Mu averaged 18 players from TX on some pretty bad teams in the 1980's. That was in the big8 days when MU never played games in TX...So just putting that out there.

Overall i am excited. I think its a good move by the school, i am excited to see new teams and its something that we connect with geographically. I think it can be really good for the exposure of the program and most of all, I believe its a move that will be stable and i dont have to go through the "are we going, or are we staying" BS anymore.

Mizzou makes a somewhat good fit for the SEC. They somewhat fit geographically, bring in a Top 25 and a Top 30 market in St. Louis and (some other city, If forget off the top of my head), but aren't a "true" cultural fit. I think this would be a good move by the SEC.

It also adds another AAS University, bringing up the Academic Reputation of the SEC.

They could also slide into either the east or west. I support it.

Adding Southeast Community College would bring up the Academic Reputation of the SEC.

I appologize to SCC for comparing them to the SEC

• Fire 1