Martinez injured?

Don't get me wrong. There is a lot I admire about Martinez, and I believe he has a skill set not a lot of quarterbacks have, but his throwing motion is just awful. I really wish he could throw a better ball - quicker and more fluid - because with the receivers we have this year, it would open a whole new level in our offense.

I don't really look it at that way... I mean, Martinez has accuracy issues that I'm sure are due to his passing mechanics, but I don't think his accuracy is usually what gets him in trouble...

Take the first half from yesterday's game - we got to halftime with the ESPN douchebags railing on his mechanics, but what did his mechanics have to do with anything in the first half? Nobody was open, or he had guys right in his face as he made a throw - there was just no place to go with the ball, that I could see on TV. Now my guess is that there probably was someplace to go with the ball, and Taylor just wasn't able to find it before the pressure forced him to get rid of the ball or take the sack, but that's not an accuracy/mechanics issue.

In general, while he does make some inaccurate passes sometimes, it's always been his ability (or inability) to see the field and read the coverage that gets him in trouble. When he's able to read the defense and find his open receivers, he's accurate enough (see yesterday's second half).

He has missed some wide open wr's and the ball isnt fluid wen it comes out of his hands. Mechanics is the most important aspect of a quarterback. Great mechanics will lead to less sacks (the ball will get out o is his hand faster), he wont miss open wr's like he has been, he wont throw it off his back foot, which means not as many lame duck throws.

Look at Tim Tebow. He has the desire, heart and the mental aspect of a good qb. Tim Tebow also has a lot of problem with his mechanics which is making him look like crap. If you listen to every coach, analyst whos been a former player, hall of fame qb, they all say that mechanics is the most important aspect of being a qb. I dont know about you, but i think i would take their opinion over anyone else's.

Don't get me wrong. There is a lot I admire about Martinez, and I believe he has a skill set not a lot of quarterbacks have, but his throwing motion is just awful. I really wish he could throw a better ball - quicker and more fluid - because with the receivers we have this year, it would open a whole new level in our offense.

I don't really look it at that way... I mean, Martinez has accuracy issues that I'm sure are due to his passing mechanics, but I don't think his accuracy is usually what gets him in trouble...

Take the first half from yesterday's game - we got to halftime with the ESPN douchebags railing on his mechanics, but what did his mechanics have to do with anything in the first half? Nobody was open, or he had guys right in his face as he made a throw - there was just no place to go with the ball, that I could see on TV. Now my guess is that there probably was someplace to go with the ball, and Taylor just wasn't able to find it before the pressure forced him to get rid of the ball or take the sack, but that's not an accuracy/mechanics issue.

In general, while he does make some inaccurate passes sometimes, it's always been his ability (or inability) to see the field and read the coverage that gets him in trouble. When he's able to read the defense and find his open receivers, he's accurate enough (see yesterday's second half).

He has missed some wide open wr's and the ball isnt fluid wen it comes out of his hands. Mechanics is the most important aspect of a quarterback. Great mechanics will lead to less sacks (the ball will get out o is his hand faster), he wont miss open wr's like he has been, he wont throw it off his back foot, which means not as many lame duck throws.

Look at Tim Tebow. He has the desire, heart and the mental aspect of a good qb. Tim Tebow also has a lot of problem with his mechanics which is making him look like crap. If you listen to every coach, analyst whos been a former player, hall of fame qb, they all say that mechanics is the most important aspect of being a qb. I dont know about you, but i think i would take their opinion over anyone else's.

Every QB misses open WRs from time to time, even if they have perfect mechanics, and mechanics are absolutely not the most important aspect of being a QB in college. Not even close. Maybe it is in the NFL, but not even close in college.

The biggest issue I see with Martinez's passing (strange, I haven't seen the OMG QUIT RIPPING ON TAYLOR YOU GUYS gang yet) is that he always lofts it up there when he's trying to go deep. If your receiver has a step on the coverage and you lead him enough that's fine, but in a situation like the one where Taylor threw a pick against MSU on Saturday, you have to either throw a bullet or go for someone else. I had a bad feeling about that pass as soon as Taylor let go of the ball.

That said, he did much better throwing in the 2nd half. We seem to do much better when we have somebody open about 10-15 yards downfield. Throwing deep just isn't Taylor's strong suit (yet).

The biggest issue I see with Martinez's passing (strange, I haven't seen the OMG QUIT RIPPING ON TAYLOR YOU GUYS gang yet) is that he always lofts it up there when he's trying to go deep. If your receiver has a step on the coverage and you lead him enough that's fine, but in a situation like the one where Taylor threw a pick against MSU on Saturday, you have to either throw a bullet or go for someone else. I had a bad feeling about that pass as soon as Taylor let go of the ball.

That said, he did much better throwing in the 2nd half. We seem to do much better when we have somebody open about 10-15 yards downfield. Throwing deep just isn't Taylor's strong suit (yet).

The ball that got intercepted was a decent throw. It was just throwing up a jump ball (no different than Cousins was doing with BJ Cunningham, except that Cousins constantly threw in to double coverage while Martinez knew he had man coverage). You don't throw a bullet on a jump ball, and it was a decent jump ball throw - Kenny Bell had a play on the ball, but he mistimed his jump a little and deflected it right into the hands of the MSU player, who didn't have a play on the ball but for the deflection.

The ball to Kyler Reed is another example of a deep throw, but it didn't have too much air under it - it was actually just barely overthrown.

The ball to Rex Burkhead was the type of underthrow that you're talking about, but it was a good underthrow - it was intentionally underthrown. Taylor had just missed Kyler Reed, and when he saw that Rex was all by himself, he just put the ball in a place where he knew Rex would get it. It was a smart play.

The ball that got intercepted was a decent throw. It was just throwing up a jump ball (no different than Cousins was doing with BJ Cunningham, except that Cousins constantly threw in to double coverage while Martinez knew he had man coverage). You don't throw a bullet on a jump ball, and it was a decent jump ball throw - Kenny Bell had a play on the ball, but he mistimed his jump a little and deflected it right into the hands of the MSU player, who didn't have a play on the ball but for the deflection.

The ball to Kyler Reed is another example of a deep throw, but it didn't have too much air under it - it was actually just barely overthrown.

The ball to Rex Burkhead was the type of underthrow that you're talking about, but it was a good underthrow - it was intentionally underthrown. Taylor had just missed Kyler Reed, and when he saw that Rex was all by himself, he just put the ball in a place where he knew Rex would get it. It was a smart play.

Agreed, I can't remember what game it was, but the receiver was wide open and the QB led him too far. The announcers said that with a player that wide open, just throw it at him and have him adjust. 15 or 20 yards is better than an incompletion.