Next Up: Northwestern

Husker_x

I know it's only Sunday, but here are the early trends that make me feel good about next week.

So far this season, Northwestern's defense has given up, in five consecutive losses: 21, 38, 42, 41, and 34 points. In their most recent win over Indiana, they gave up 38 points. Their best defensive performance of the season came against Boston College in Week 1, where they surrendered only 17 points.

They are currently third to last in the B1G in rush defense, allowing 192.6 yards/game. Overall, by points allowed, their defense is 90th in the nation.

Offensively they are 40th in the nation and solidly mediocre in both rushing and passing stats.

It'll be interesting to see how Nebraska handles shifting back to defending a spread look. If our secondary plays anywhere near the level it did against Sparty, we should be in for a good day. The mobile QB aspect worries me a bit, but you have to think we'll be a pretty heavy favorite next week, especially at home (Northwestern has not won a road game yet this season).

Northwestern has played a pretty mediocre schedule, and against that schedule they have VERY bad defensive numbers. Their highest ranking in any of the major defensive statistics is 90th. The numbers (those with weak stomachs may want to avert their eyes):

Rushing Defense - 95th

Pass Efficiency Defense - 101st

Total (Yards) Defense - 98th

Scoring Defense - 90th

They give up three sacks per game and they are 73rd in the nation in kickoff return coverage. God help them if they kick the ball to Ameer. Heck, God help them if they kick it to Marlowe - you all saw what he did on that Rexcat play against Sparty.

NW is decent on offense, and Persa will absolutely pick you apart if you give him time to throw. So don't give him time to throw. Have someone spy him on the run and send the house at him every single down when it even remotely seems like he might pass.

• Fire 1

I think Northwestern will be a good test for the D to be ready to face Michigan after we play PSU. It's really too bad we didn't draw the Wolverines before we played Penn State. Northwestern is like a warm up for Michigan. They're a spread team with a couple electrifying QB's (when healthy), just clearly not as good as Michigan. However, I think it will give the Pelini bros a chance to work out some stuff they think can help defend a spread team with a very mobile QB.

Obviously, Persa/Colter=/= Robinson, and Northwestern's D is even worse than Michigan's, but it should be a good chance to see what we can do. Then it's back to Penn State and their traditional power offense.

The thing that worries me a bit is Persa is the kind of QB who if you decide to take lightly or have a premature off week, he'll murder you. I wouldn't necessarily call this a trap game as Penn State is not that imposing, but to draw a Big XII parallel, I don't want to see an ISU performance where we let up because we're playing a five loss team. They have enough talent to smack you in the mouth if you do that.

However our rushing offense vs. their defense will likely keep Persa on the bench a good amount of the time.

We should blow these guys out of the water. This game should be over by halftime.

Famous last words? God, I hope not.............

A team that is supposed to be going to the conference championship game shouldn't be struggling to beat Northwestern. You have to be ready for each game and dominate certain games and we should dominate this game.