Nebraska vs. Penn State

Haha, I can't believe Ladyhawke had to bump this thread like 5 times before it started getting some attention over all the meltdown threads. Classic Huskerboard...

I know! I felt kind of stupid doing it but I really wanted to start talking about this game! I wanted to hear what people thought our chances were, what kind of score we would have, what we needed to do to beat them, etc.! Thanks you guys!

Hey BadgerFan,

Can you give us any insights on how Penn State plays? We haven't played them since 2003. On the one of the Penn State message boards the fans seem split. Some think that Penn State is going to win, some think that Nebraska is going to win, most of them, however, are so caught up in their AD getting caught for perjury, that's all they are talking about. I think that might be a huge distraction for them.

Defense is very solid with some NFL talent.

They don't blitz very often and are pretty low risk. Mostly because they are good enough that they don't need to take chances but also because I don't think they have the right guys to pull off successful blitzing.

Offensively they have a decent tailback and a QB that loves to stare down receivers and they do a lot of 3 step timing routes and screens.

The opposing team should be able to get at least one interception vs McGloin per game. He stares down guys THAT much.

After the PSU staff watches the NU/NU game, I will not be suprised to see Bolden on the field again. McGloin is a poor man's Krik Cousins with a worse arm. I expect to see a strong dose of Silas Redd between the tackles and would not be shocked one bit to see Bolden come in to run some zone read with Redd.

Also will not be shocked to see Derek Moye lining up in the slot to avoid the matchup against Zo. That leaves Zo probably matching up with Justin Brown a ton(PSU's second leading receiver) and Andrew matching up on Devon Smith. Ideally SJ-B gets 100% healthy this week and can take Ciante's spot as the nickel. Not only is this a bigger body to hang on Moye but also helps provide a big body in run support against Redd.

This probably will be an ugly, low scoring defensive game. The early start, playing on grass for the first time this season, and probably being cold will all contribute to this. Hopefully Beck pulls out some stuff that has been collecting dust as far as plays and formations that will help spread the field and utilize some potential mismatches with personel.

Sounds about right. Penn State is not an offense designed to score a lot of points. And it is not one that can come from behind. PSU's game is a contain defense that keeps the score low coupled with a grind it out ball control running game. Actually, that's been PSU's game plan for the past 5,000 years. No kidding, 5,000 years ago some PSU QB was grunting in the huddle, "Hrmph. Me hand off to Oog. Oog go left off guard. Make three yards. Hrmph."

Coincidentally, this was the 1st year Paterno was HC

Defense is very solid with some NFL talent.

They don't blitz very often and are pretty low risk. Mostly because they are good enough that they don't need to take chances but also because I don't think they have the right guys to pull off successful blitzing.

Offensively they have a decent tailback and a QB that loves to stare down receivers and they do a lot of 3 step timing routes and screens.

The opposing team should be able to get at least one interception vs McGloin per game. He stares down guys THAT much.

That sounds like us except that our defense sucks.

will psu be distracted with this insane scandal overwhelming the media?

I can't imagine they won't be.

I feel for the fans because they had nothing to do with it.

If you're a PSU fan how are you excited to make the trek to Happy Valley this Saturday? I wouldn't be.

I'd be embarrassed for my school and a little depressed that something like this could happen.

If you're a PSU fan how are you excited to make the trek to Happy Valley this Saturday? I wouldn't be.

I'd be embarrassed for my school and a little depressed that something like this could happen.

if a lot of them are catholics, it will not be anything new.

if a lot of them are catholics, it will not be anything new.

Ouch, that's like a double burn. Catholics and Lions fans in one fell swoop

Before the season started I said there were two games that scared me. Northwestern, and Penn State. I figured NW was going to have a poor season but yet be a team that would beat the Huskers because of the type of offense they run. I was right. As far as Penn State goes I just don't like the idea of going to Happy Valley. I don't see anything happy about it. Hopefully after the loss to NW the Huskers will play like most of us expect them to and win. This should be a good physical game. I think the Huskers will win a close one.

Both Penn State and Michigan scare me. Iowa now looks like they've gathered some steam too so this is going to be a very hard next three games. However, it seems like we play (except Wisconsin-which I think we could've beat had we stuck with the running game) better on the road than we do at home sometimes. I remember beating Oklahoma State last year on the road and some other teams as well.

I read this morning that Penn State's AD resigned. What a sad state of affairs going on down there. This whole thing with Sandusky has been going on since 1999. What a horrendous thing to have happen to their school. Penn State's President is Graham Spanier who used to be here at Nebraska. Ugly thing to have to go through.

Before the season started I said there were two games that scared me. Northwestern, and Penn State. I figured NW was going to have a poor season but yet be a team that would beat the Huskers because of the type of offense they run. I was right. As far as Penn State goes I just don't like the idea of going to Happy Valley. I don't see anything happy about it. Hopefully after the loss to NW the Huskers will play like most of us expect them to and win. This should be a good physical game. I think the Huskers will win a close one.

Thanks I just smacked my screen for no reason.

Actually Bolden isn't really a proven to be a runner, but i'm sure if they try it against our D he will be. But i doubt we will see much of him. Joepa w/ a week off will put in a new wrinkle for sure. They will run up the middle A LOT but i am thinking they will get Smith (the fastest guy on the field) in some misdirection screens/reverses and i wouldn't be shocked to see him in a wildcat situation.

Their D is solid, though NW did seem to move the ball on them pretty good. They seemed to have troubles w/ a running QB that can pass. If Tmart can throw might have some success but State Penn thrives on take aways, really have to protect the ball. Also the one DT is GOOD, the only flaw i see in him is lack of hustle on every play. He seems to take plays off. If we can do a more upbeat O (i guess like we do) then that could pop open a few plays up the middle.