Nebraska vs. Penn State

Both Penn State and Michigan scare me. Iowa now looks like they've gathered some steam too so this is going to be a very hard next three games. However, it seems like we play (except Wisconsin-which I think we could've beat had we stuck with the running game) better on the road than we do at home sometimes. I remember beating Oklahoma State last year on the road and some other teams as well.

I read this morning that Penn State's AD resigned. What a sad state of affairs going on down there. This whole thing with Sandusky has been going on since 1999. What a horrendous thing to have happen to their school. Penn State's President is Graham Spanier who used to be here at Nebraska. Ugly thing to have to go through.

Well honestly Iowa plays horrible away from Iowa City so I think we have a HUGE advantage for that game. Having said that though the crowd needs to be there for that game. We HAVE to make that environment hostile for Iowa. I have my doubts that'll happen though..............

In order to beat Penn State, here is what needs to happen:

1) We have to wrap up and shut down Silas Redd. He can't have a big day against us.

2) We have to cover the middle of the field well on passing plays. I fully expect Penn State to run a lot of crossing routes when they pass the ball. If the middle of the field is covered well, everything else [pressure] will take care of themselves.

3) Taylor must have a good day throwing the football and our WRs need to help him out with that. Penn State is going to load the box and force him to throw. What I would like to see happen is for Beck to have Taylor throw the ball on the first play from scrimmage. Open up the run by completing passes.

4) When we run, our O-Line must generate some push. This will be made easier by having Taylor throwing well so #3 is really crucial if we are to win this game.

5) And then you have the obvious, don't turn the ball over, win the time possession battle, don't commit dumb penalties.

6) Finally, Dave Witvoet can NOT be the official for this football game. I'm sorry, but his crew his absolutely abysmal.

Who knows what will happen. I think it really depends which Husker team shows up. If it's the team that played against MSU, we could win it comfortably. If it's the team that showed last Saturday, it could get real ugly.

I do think they will come out ready to play this week however. I actually think we can pretty much control this game as long as we don't turn the ball over (which I guess is an asinine statement, we would have won last week too if that had been the case). What is the weather forcast for Saturday. I wonder a little bit about TM throwing in the cold and wet for the first time in gloves. And it sounds like with their D we will have to throw the ball.

I'm not worried at all with Penn States offense. I think our D could hold them to 13 or 10 points. And i feel better about our O against a good defense since they played pretty well against Ohio state and michigan state. I'm gonna say that the First play Martinez throws a 20 yard pass to Turner (aww ya) then has a 40 yard zone read touchdown run. Shuts up the crowd quickly and we pound it down their throats from there on.

NU-31

PSU-10

Defense is very solid with some NFL talent.

They don't blitz very often and are pretty low risk. Mostly because they are good enough that they don't need to take chances but also because I don't think they have the right guys to pull off successful blitzing.

Offensively they have a decent tailback and a QB that loves to stare down receivers and they do a lot of 3 step timing routes and screens.

The opposing team should be able to get at least one interception vs McGloin per game. He stares down guys THAT much.

Thanks for this overview 'WoodyHayes'. I appreciate it :)