Remove the name Paterno from the Big Ten Championship Trophy

BigTenFan

Signed. And this is why in my words:

"It is absurd to name a trophy signifying this great accomplishment for our student athletes to be sullied by the name of an individual who allowed child molestation to take place, and a known child molester to remain free and capable of committing additional acts of depravity."

• Fire 2

Yea, way over the top. Suddenly he is a one dimensional man treated as if he actually took advantage of kids. He reported to [sic]he's superiors whatever was told to him and they did nothing about it. Sometimes you are a cog in the wheel, sometimes you just don't get involved, sometimes you make a bad decision not to get involved, but seriously despite being a popular coach, something he lived and breathed he did not run Penn State and he's focus was not likely to be the campus cop.

Michiganball, the Grand Jury indictment found that Paterno violated local and state law that required him to follow-up with authorities directly if he didn't hear back from the AD on this.

For example, in Nebraska, State law stipulates that a teacher or coach that reports child abuse or neglect to an AD or Principal/VP should expect written confirmation of what steps that superior took in 24 hours. If that confirmation does not occur, then the teacher or coach is obligated to go to the authorities directly, no exception. I would imagine the Pennsylvania law was similar in nature.

Joe Pa may not have molested those children, but after reporting what he was provided to the AD, he failed in his duty as a coach to follow-up with the AD to ensure that any steps, let alone the proper steps, were taken. Unless something comes out in writing from the AD to Joe Pa that specifically says "I've handled this, don't worry about it any longer" (which there isn't, or the Trustees wouldn't have terminated Joe Pa), then Joe Pa is complicit.

We all have a responsibility to defend those that are defenseless in society, especially 10 year old boys that, per the Grand Jury indictment, were getting sodomized by a 50+ man in a Penn State lockerroom shower. If that was your son or daughter, you'd be more than disappointed in the inaction that Joe Pa took.

Plus, this *isn't* a one-time, momentary lapse in judgement that Joe Pa had. Joe Pa had every opportunity to report this to the authorities or follow-up with the AD on this every single day since he reported this to the AD. That's a serious lapse in judgement that occurred day in, and day out, for years.

Perhaps maybe I'm just not as jaded or callous as others--but if I were to get knowledge that a 10 year old boy was being sodomized by a 50+ year old man, that's not something I could sit on for days...let alone months or years like Joe Pa did, as I have a conscience, and I have compassion for those that can't protect themselves--I would be following up, and if I wasn't satisfied with the answers, I'd do the right thing and go to the cops.

• Fire 1

This is the point where everyone is going overboard and starting to not make sense. It's like clockwork.

This is the point where rational, sane-minded people are looking at the allegations Paterno is facing and thinking to themselves, "If true, is this the kind of person we want as the namesake of the conference trophy?"

That is a legitimate question to ask.

This is the point where everyone is going overboard and starting to not make sense. It's like clockwork.

This is the point where rational, sane-minded people are looking at the allegations Paterno is facing and thinking to themselves, "If true, is this the kind of person we want as the namesake of the conference trophy?"

That is a legitimate question to ask.

Or it may be if you are legitimately concerned about the victims of this event some trophy name doesn't even matter at this time.

@metthew_m_g Unfortunately I don't think it was he's call to make. The politics in these schools create a clear chain of command and it's not a coaches place to make a call regarding an employee of the University, the top brass makes that decision and they failed. They probably told him it was handled and taking on a whole school for something they are primarily responsible is not necessarily a good idea(things don't usually end well for whistle blowers no matter how good their intentions). Having said that, yes on a human level, it's something he should have fought for at least, maybe he did maybe he didn't we wont know until this goes to court and more details come out.

I am sorry but at this point and time I can't sign this petition. Joe Paterno made a HUGE mistake. I agree he should be fired. As well as anyone else who had knowledge of this terrible incident. I don't feel it is the B1G fans, any other conference fans, or whoever's decision to take Joe Pa's name off the trophy except the powers to be in charge of the B1G. Maybe once things calm down and I have time to think about everything that has taken place I will change my decision. As stated before this seems like a Knee-jerk reaction.

Hmmm, great avitar.

LOL, thanks. I thought I was the only one with this avatar. Now I will need to change it. Hopefully the one I have in mind is different than any ones on here.

@metthew_m_g Unfortunately I don't think it was he's call to make. The politics in these schools create a clear chain of command and it's not a coaches place to make a call regarding an employee of the University, the top brass makes that decision and they failed. They probably told him it was handled and taking on a whole school for something they are primarily responsible is not necessarily a good idea(things don't usually end well for whistle blowers no matter how good their intentions). Having said that, yes on a human level, it's something he should have fought for at least, maybe he did maybe he didn't we wont know until this goes to court and more details come out.

Sandusky wasn't an employee of Penn State when he was caught with the boy--he was with Second Mile.

And no, if you're responsible for the program like Joe Pa, it's your duty to follow-up with the AD and ask what ever became of what you reported, especially considering the seriousness of it.