Fans thoughts on Joe Paterno coaching on Saturday...

TheMatador

I personally do not think Paterno should coach again this season and he should just go into immediate retirement. He might not be legally responsible for what happened but he is morally responsible for the crimes since he knew about them and failed in his duty as a fellow human-being to report a child being molested by a monster to the authorities. Even though he is not legally responsible, he could still be sued by the victims or families of the victims as he and all the others involved, including the GA who found the young child being raped. If the families of the victims or the victims themselves take him to civil court, he and all the others still are liable for what happened. These families need to find a great tort lawyer and sue all those involved in the coverup even Penn St. itself.

Huskercat

• Fire 1

Wow, so much for innocent until proven guilty. Man our society is way off base on where we, as a nation, began.

I don't believe half of what papers report anymore, because they want their ratings and will do whatever it takes to get them. So until JoPa is proven guilty on anything, he has the right to be with his team this Saturday and every other Sat (unless Penn state gives him admin leave until the verdict is in).

The PA Grand Jury report is not a newspaper.

Grand Jury reports are not exactly written fact. They are often written to be as malicious (or in this case, salacious) as possible to warrant an indictment. Often times they are very inconsistent.

What knapp said. The only thing I posted is Joe Pa's testimony. He also said already that he wishes he'd done more.

Grand Jury reports are not exactly written fact. They are often time written to be as malicious (or in this case, salacious) as possible to warrant an indictment.

But they must contain facts. They cannot aggrandize evidence to ridiculous degrees or those creating them risk prosecution. Further, JoePa's testimony (which is the instant question) is not written salaciously. It is recorded as given.

I guess I wasn't trying to single out Joe's testimony, just the overall trustworthiness of a Grand Jury Report. I should have stated that better.

If we had to pick a college football culture similar to Nebraska's, Penn State would come about the closest.

While I'm grateful for what we have here, it would be foolish to assume something like this could never happen at Nebraska. If you were to describe the scenario, it's not like Penn State immediately jumped to mind. I'm sure Tom Osborne saw Joe Paterno as a kindred spirit in terms of integrity.

Some bad stuff has happened at the University of Nebraska, and it will again. Not all of it made the news. But I do think more pr flacks, legal counsels and administrative braintrusts are starting to see the value of transparency. U of N is probably better than most, but not yet saintly. After all, even the Pope's hands are dirty in all this.

The indictment is available on line. It doesn't appear Paterno committed a crime, but unfortunately for him this is not really about whether or not he committed a crime. It's about not reporting reasonable suspicion of a crime being committed under his watch to the civil authorities. He had an ethical and moral responsiblity to at least go to campus security. There's no valid excuse for him not to go to the proper authorities, not even the fact that he reported it to his university superiors. There's no telling how many further incidents might have been avoided if he had reported it to the cops.

He reported it his AD and Gary Schultz, who is, was in charge of Campus Police, not Security but Campus Police.

In the grand jury report it says Schultz was director of finance. I've read several articles saying that Paterno did not go to police, and even that itself may be subject to criminal action. Of course, articles can be wrong too, and there's lots of stuff flying around.

He also oversees the Campus Police as part of his responsibilities.

This whole incident is such an incredible black eye to Penn State. JoePa was the one who announced this was his last game, not the University. My bet is that prior to Saturday, JoePa will be forced out. If he truly was derelict in his duties (which it sure looks to be), then there is no way that they could let him finish out his tenure.

He will finish this season, as he announced and be done. Penn State owes him that much or what ever he wants, and he will get what he wants. Unfortunately he will retire with somewhat of a black eye. That is sad, not only for him, but for Penn State as a university.

I know this is a little bit off the discussion going on in this thread; Do you think they should keep Paterno's name on the Big 10 Championship game trophy? I personally have the opinion that the Big 10 should take his name off the trophy because of his role in the coverup. Opinions?

He will finish this season, as he announced and be done. Penn State owes him that much or what ever he wants, and he will get what he wants. Unfortunately he will retire with somewhat of a black eye. That is sad, not only for him, but for Penn State as a university.

i don't have the grand jury transcript in front of me, nor the facts. However, if it is apparent that he has a lot of guilt in this situation, there is no way that they could let him remain for the rest of the season. It would be Penn State sending yet another message that the victim comes second. Not a good message to send.

Why is he owed anything?

I know this is a little bit off the discussion going on in this thread; Do you think they should keep Paterno's name on the Big 10 Championship game trophy? I personally have the opinion that the Big 10 should take his name off the trophy because of his role in the coverup. Opinions?

I never even thought of that. I would think that they'd almost have to. I don't think the championship trophy should have names attached to it anyway.

Here's what is mind-boggling to me. Paterno is 'devastated.' He admits to what has happened. He admits that it happened on his watch. YET...it isn't so 'devastating' as to keep him from coaching for his record?! His pathetic stories are already haunting him, and now he is still showing the world that everything Penn State loves him no matter what. Just sick and wrong. If he had a shred of dignity, he would've stepped down immediately. Now he's just proving what an egocentric idiot he is.