Penn State Scandal Thread

Eric the Red

@SPORTSbyBROOKS SPORTSbyBROOKS

I can confirm there will soon be new, major allegation involving child sex abuse in Sandusky case. Told tonite it could come before Saturday

If what I was told tonight about the details of the new allegation in Sandusky child sex case is true, it will horrify the public.

I know it's Brooks, but several other reporters have been hinting that something major - and terrible- is about to drop regarding the Second Mile charity Sandusky ran.

Can you elaborate more on this? Curious what you have heard.

Last night, there were hints from Dan Bernstein (Chicago radio guy) that authorities were zeroing-in on several people associated with the Second Mile charity that may have suspicious relationships with kids in the program. That would imply there could be a pedophile ring operating, using the charity as a front and tool to procure kids.

I can confirm there will soon be new, major allegation involving child sex abuse in Sandusky case. Told tonite it could come before Saturday

If what I was told tonight about the details of the new allegation in Sandusky child sex case is true, it will horrify the public.

I know it's Brooks, but several other reporters have been hinting that something major - and terrible- is about to drop regarding the Second Mile charity Sandusky ran.

Can you elaborate more on this? Curious what you have heard.

Last night, there were hints from Dan Bernstein (Chicago radio guy) that authorities were zeroing-in on several people associated with the Second Mile charity that may have suspicious relationships with kids in the program. That would imply there could be a pedophile ring operating, using the charity as a front and tool to procure kids.

RICO meet capital punishment....yes please.

• Fire 1

Anyone know what this is in response to?

MichelleDBeadle Michelle Beadle

That kid was a stud. Get him to a safe place. Not often young kids stare opposing viewpoints down. 2 bad he was surrounded by "we r Penn St"

ESPN interviewd a kid at the "riot" or whatever it is and he actually agreed with the firing rather than being another sheep in the flock.

Sorry to him go out like this. I find it puzzling how ESPN can go from "Fire Joe" this morning to "he didn't do anything wrong" making him out to be a victim. Classic ESPN

Their about face is idiotic to say the least, way to play the field.

But reading the report and putting all emotion aside you can not say with any certainty what Joe was told by the GA and if he new the gravity of what he was told. It's not an excuse but it sounds like he heard enough to know that someone higher needed to be informed of it, and he maybe justed wanted to wash his hands of it and keep his nose clean. There just isn't enough detail in the report from the GA or Paterno to draw a definitive conclusion about what was said. Either way it's just really disgusting and disturbing to read.

The BoT either knew more than they are telling, or they are just trying to save face and everyone that acted questionably is going.

Ridiculous... this was a modern day witch hunt fueled by careless media making a lot of assumptions and suppositions with no real basis on factual evidence - that the BoT fired Paterno is not surprising given the rumors they've been trying to oust him for years, but fervor for which "we" were clamoring for his firing to "punish" him is repugnant.

The whole "he should have morally done more" argument is the result of hindsight and a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking. It's always much easier to see how a someone screwed up after the fact and what they should've/could've done to change things - it's much, much harder to perform at that kind of level of self-realization during a situation. As for the "I would've done this or kicked this person's ***&^^*, " well, we're all real tough on the internet, but the majority of us would have done no more than he did - reported it to his superiors - and of those who actually may have done more (which is very few) even fewer could actually back it up. Honestly, disgusted at what was done to those boys, disgusted it was covered up and disgusted with the pitchfork and torches mob mentality that we've allowed ourselves to be stirred up into by the media.

Thank goodness our legal system gives zero weight to judgement of the court of public opinion, else we'd all hang. I only hope that the rioting is quelled before anyone gets seriously hurt as there's no need to had further injury, hurt and pain to this mess of a situation.

Read the Grand Jury report. You have no idea what you're talking about when you say this is fueled by the media. This has been entirely driven by Joe Paterno's lack of action over nine-plus years of knowledge of Sandusky's actions.

All reading the Grand Jury report does is make one mad (aside from the fact that we're assuming Paterno knew a crap ton more about Sandusky's actions than we can prove). And being mad feels great, it sets up the foundation of "righteous" anger, on which we can build our soap box and then use that to mount our high horse. Once mounted we can then proceed to justify and all of my actions to "punish" people in the name of "justice."

The whole "morals" thing that everyone is preaching right now has very little to do with defending innocent children or any kind of "morality" at all, it the excuse we're using to vent anger at people who may or may not deserve it (although anybody we're mad at does, of course, deserve it, right?). Firing Paterno doesn't actually make anything better (in fact I highly doubt if anything at all comes out of this case in regards to truly making positive changes to prevent this sort of thing in the future), it just appeases the masses - he's a sacrificial goat, put out there by not only the BoT but also the police and AG to draw a ton of attention to the case, so much attention in fact, that they can sweep under the rug the fact that many people, including those now calling out Paterno for not doing more, did less than he did (because we have short memories and once the bloodthirst has died off we typically forget about it and move on... at least until the next time our thirst rises again).

And the media laps it up and feeds it because it's money in the bank as far as they are concerned and if/when they find out they were wrong they don't have any culpability. It's the modern day version of the Salem Witch trials, seen most recently during the Casey Anthony case as well where the media stirred up a frenzy with suppositions and assumptions.

So now we've gotten mad and someone has been punished/sacrificed. Do we all feel better now? Can we all stand tall and talk about how justice was done? As I said before, disgusting.

Sorry to him go out like this. I find it puzzling how ESPN can go from "Fire Joe" this morning to "he didn't do anything wrong" making him out to be a victim. Classic ESPN

Their about face is idiotic to say the least, way to play the field.

But reading the report and putting all emotion aside you can not say with any certainty what Joe was told by the GA and if he new the gravity of what he was told. It's not an excuse but it sounds like he heard enough to know that someone higher needed to be informed of it, and he maybe justed wanted to wash his hands of it and keep his nose clean. There just isn't enough detail in the report from the GA or Paterno to draw a definitive conclusion about what was said. Either way it's just really disgusting and disturbing to read.

The BoT either knew more than they are telling, or they are just trying to save face and everyone that acted questionably is going.

He stated that he was told something of a sexual nature occurred between a 58 year old and a 10 year old. *shrug*

it's much, much harder to perform at that kind of level of self-realization during a situation.

Well that's just too damn bad, tell it to the 40 kids or their families and see if they agree with you. "In the heat of the moment" doesn't absolve people of crimes of omission, just like it doesn't absolve them of crimes of commission.

And what exactly was Paterno's crime? Because apparently no one can find any legal issue with how he handled it. Oh, never mind, I forgot, it's a "moral" crime... and thus need not actually require any kind of factual basis or evidence to back up.