Penn State Scandal Thread

Eric the Red

I hope that Pelini and the staff are meeting today about picking up some PSU players looking to transfer....

wow

College football is cut throat. If you don't think coaches are thinking about this today, you're just a little naive.

I realize some probably are and its a damn shame too. "How can we benefit from decades of child rape? Let's get going on this guys, I've got a great feeling!"

The way I see it, I would take pleasure in adding to PSU's punishment by snatching away some good players. It is like the prison guard who likes his job because he gets to punish murderers. He doesn't rejoice in the fact that someone committed a murder, but he is happy to do the job of punishing the murderer.

I heard the NCAA was planning to move PSU to the ACC and the powers that be in State College opted for the death penalty instead.

Yea so...time to call ND.

Pretty sure this is a joke?

But I do agree with the ND bit. It would behoove the Big Ten to distance itself from Penn State altogether.

The fact that the NCAA is getting involved in this is a bit upsetting to me. This is not their territory. Here is a quote from a story on ESPN that I find completely logical. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8188629/penn-state-nittany-lions-not-facing-death-penalty-monday-ncaa-source-says

"The purpose of the NCAA is to keep a level playing field among schools and to make sure they use proper methods through scholarships and etc,'' the chair said. "This is not a case that would normally go through the process. It has nothing to do with a level playing field. It has nothing to do with whether Penn State gets advantages over other schools in recruiting or in the number of coaches or things that we normally deal with.''

The former chair said as an example the NCAA didn't get involved in the murder of Yeardley Love, a women's lacrosse player at Virginia, by her former boyfriend, a male lacrosse player at Virginia.

"The real question is whether or not under the overall rules and regulations of the NCAA do those in charge take action when it doesn't fall within the scope and realm of the normal infractions process,'' said the former chair. "This has nothing to do with a level playing field or competition. The NCAA is a voluntary organization and the schools sign on to be bound by the NCAA rules and regulations.''

The chair added that the only connection to athletics was that the department was lenient to Sandusky and that some of his crimes were committed at the Penn State football facility.

"But this has nothing to do with NCAA business,'' said the former chair. "This is new. If they're going to deal with situations of this kind that have nothing to do with the games of who plays and so on and rather deal with members of the athletic department who act immorally or criminally then it opens up the door to other cases.''

The NCAA, the chair said, didn't get involved in punishing the school for criminal behavior.

"The criminal courts are perfectly capable of handling these situations,'' said the former chair. "This is a new phase and a new thing. They are getting into bad behavior that are somehow connected to those who work in the athletic department.

The former chair said as an example the NCAA didn't get involved in the murder of Yeardley Love, a women's lacrosse player at Virginia, by her former boyfriend, a male lacrosse player at Virginia.

I get where they're coming from, but this seems to be a very bad example that doesn't even remotely resemble the Penn State cover-up.

UVa didn't cover up anything with the Yeardley Love murder, so that's a poor example. Penn St covered up child molestation to protect the football program. It was very much to keep the football program at an elite level. When you're willing to sacrifice all morals to prop up the football program, that can be viewed as a competitive advantage.

UVa didn't cover up anything with the Yeardley Love murder, so that's a poor example. Penn St covered up child molestation to protect the football program. It was very much to keep the football program at an elite level. When you're willing to sacrifice all morals to prop up the football program, that can be viewed as a competitive advantage.

I agree he gave a bad example with the UVA thing, but this is still outside the bounds of what the NCAA was and is set-up to do. But then again, the NCAA does so many wacky things that I disagree with...

If PSU had done something immediately and turned Sandusky in and given him the boot everyone would have applauded them. I think there is more to this than we will ever know. It just doesn't add up. Something like this going on in the program with janitors even aware? I am sure there had to be a lot of rumors circulating. One has to look back at the Husker program and rumors that circulated concerning various coaches and their sexual, albeit legal, excapades who ended up getting pink slips.

I agree he gave a bad example with the UVA thing, but this is still outside the bounds of what the NCAA was and is set-up to do. But then again, the NCAA does so many wacky things that I disagree with...

I know. It's a bit of a reach. I think it has a lot to do with the reaction there. The only real outrage seemed to be in Paterno's firing and removal of his statue. Of course there was outrage against Sandusky, but not against his enablers. I think the NCAA is looking at how widespread the culture is that says its not really wrong to bury your head in the sand, just don't hurt the program, and felt they had to take action. Donations are up, recruiting seems unhurt, seems like nothing was really going to change.

There is no good black and white argument for whether the NCAA should be involved or not. The major players at the university and in athletics likely did what they did because they were worried about how the news would effect recruiting. In that case the NCAA should get involved. At the same time, those people are all gone now.