Penn State Scandal Thread

Eric the Red

I made a suggestion to Sports Nightly the other day about being in support of something they occasionally do in European soccer. Make your team play in front of an empty stadium. No fans. Just the teams, some media, medical personnel, and the refs.

What would you guys think about making PSU play all of its' home games this year with a fan ban?

SMU had a penalty like that when they got their sanctions

More from that ESPN article

"Unbelievable," said a Penn State trustee informed of the NCAA statement, speaking to ESPN.com senior writer Don Van Natta Jr. "Unbelievable, unbelievable." The Penn State trustees' hope that the statue's removal might send a positive message was trumped by the NCAA, which had already decided. "Emmert has been given full reign by the pansy presidents [at other universities] to make his own decision," said the trustee, who spoke on condition of anonymity. "He has been given the authority to impose these unprecedented sanctions. It's horrible."

"pansy presidents", unlike a real man like Spanier? It's just unreal. Pull your head out, folks. You just continue asking for the hammer.

Anyone else get the feeling that this punishment is going to be anti-climatic and in the end, something like no bowl games for two years and a loss of 5 scholarships for 3 years.

I just get that feeling that in the end, it won't be all that harsh. Maybe it is because I was thinking along the lines of

1. Four year bowl ban

2. Two years with no home games (to me, this will always be the harshest form of punishment)

3. 10 scholarships per year for four years

What do we have so far? This is what I've seen...

-Not the Death Penalty

-Something, unique by itself or as a combination, unlike anything we've ever seen

-Far worse than the Death Penalty

-To be announced tomorrow at 0900

That's what I see. From that what could it be?

Combination of fines, scholarships, and post season bans? Also maybe a ban on non-conference games? I've seen that all thrown out there. Maybe it'll be an issue of time, as in these sanctions last a very long time rather than the 1-2 year stints we saw for Southern Cal, UNC and OSU.

The ban on non-conference games is something that could be done.

this guy really said that the statue shouldnt be torn down because of one mistake JoePa made.

Every time I hear that I'm thinking... every hour/minute/second that he decided to not do the right thing after 1998 or 2001 was another mistake.

Thats just what that Penn State fan said during his interview. May the NCAA ruin that program.

Ya I know. I guess I should have quoted that differently, heh. I can edit it :P

Anyone else get the feeling that this punishment is going to be anti-climatic and in the end, something like no bowl games for two years and a loss of 5 scholarships for 3 years.

Only if the sources about the harshness are PSU people who think any punishment is terrible. I have no idea who the sources are though.

Edit: just looked and it's "a high-ranking association source"

I really doubt it's going to be that minor.

I just get that feeling that in the end, it won't be all that harsh. Maybe it is because I was thinking along the lines of

1. Four year bowl ban

2. Two years with no home games (to me, this will always be the harshest form of punishment)

Whatever it ends up being, I seriously doubt there will be any Goldilocks endorsements. It will either be too lenient or too harsh, I have a feeling no one will say "this one is just right."

I made a suggestion to Sports Nightly the other day about being in support of something they occasionally do in European soccer. Make your team play in front of an empty stadium. No fans. Just the teams, some media, medical personnel, and the refs.

What would you guys think about making PSU play all of its' home games this year with a fan ban?

SMU had a penalty like that when they got their sanctions

I wondered if they might have, but I wasn't sure.

1. Four year bowl ban

That would decimate the program, almost as bad as the death penalty. Nothing can be worse than cancelling football though, at least nothing I can think of, unless they were to impose sanctions like you mentioned for a longer period of time than they would with a death penalty sentence. That's why I don't get the rumors that they may hand out a penalty worse than what they gave SMU.

1. Four year bowl ban

That would decimate the program, almost as bad as the death penalty. Nothing can be worse than cancelling football though, at least nothing I can think of, unless they were to impose sanctions like you mentioned for a longer period of time than they would with a death penalty sentence. That's why I don't get the rumors that they may hand out a penalty worse than what they gave SMU.

I'm curious about how much it would cost to not have any home games.

That would be insane to watch

Boring too.

I wonder if they would televise any of them after the 1st

I think taking cues from soccer is always a bad idea.

I think taking cues from soccer is always a bad idea.

They should make the football team play soccer and the soccer team play football

I still think that not allowing a team to have home games is the best form of punishment, no in this particular case, it is so very different because of the terrible acts we are talking about.

But in a "regular" NCAA case, taking away home games would force the community and business owners and fans to finally get pissed off and demand that coaches/players not cheat because of the economical impact on the community for most of these schools.

What does Lincoln bring in for each home game? What does a bar like Brothers or Sandy's bring in on a Husker Saturday?