Penn State Scandal Thread

Eric the Red

Apparently the damage isn't done for PSU. The Big Ten will announce its own sanctions at 11am Eastern.

what kind of power does the B1G have, like what could we expect?

NCAA said bowl ban, I am guessing BIG will ban them from Championship game. Maybe more fines. Like someone else said, PSU wont get any share of bowl revenue

The NCAA said "Postseason ban," which includes conference championship games.

The biggest thing the B1G could do would be to impose monetary losses from bowl revenue sharing, which would be appropriate.

Also, I'm hearing that PSU can pay their $60 million fine off over five years, which at $12 million a year, should be easier to pay off. Although, if the B1G reduces their bowl revenue sharing, that's a major hit.

I really feel bad for their fans and supporters.

Don't....

I live right in the middle of ground zero Penn State country, and the vast majority of these "fans" believe they and their university are being persecuted. Reading the statements from those in the local papers & the internet, as well as the Paterno family press releases, I'd be ashamed. These clowns are the same fools who would strut around with their noses in the air & commenting on how Penn State is superior to the Miami's, Oklahomas, & Nebraskas of college football because our program is so clean and our coach sits at the right hand of God.

I have no sympathy for Penn State & their fans....

Apparently the damage isn't done for PSU. The Big Ten will announce its own sanctions at 11am Eastern.

NCAA said bowl ban, I am guessing BIG will ban them from Championship game. Maybe more fines. Like someone else said, PSU wont get any share of bowl revenue

The biggest thing the B1G could do would be to impose monetary losses from bowl revenue sharing, which would be appropriate.

Also, I'm hearing that PSU can pay their $60 million fine off over five years, which at $12 million a year, should be easier to pay off. Although, if the B1G reduces their bowl revenue sharing, that's a major hit.

Not to nit pick, but the biggest thing the could do is kick them out, but that's not going to happen. But yeah, Rittenberg was pretty much saying the same deal, hitting them with a revenue sharing reduction. Wonder if that means Nebraska gets a larger share now to be equal with the other schools faster.

Heard that the $60 million can only come from the football program or academics. It cannot come from another athletic program at Penn St.

Heard that the $60 million can only come from the football program or academics. It cannot come from another athletic program at Penn St.

yep, i wonder if they will raise their tuition to help recover the losses?

I'm thinking the B1G can switch NU's and PSU's conference payout amounts

And how long before the delusional PSU fans take to donate $60 million to bail out the athletic dept? I say by Thursday

Or they can confiscate JoePa's golden parachute pension pay out to his family

Is this right?

Penn State received a penalty of 10 initial scholarships and 20 total

per year starting in 2013. What this means is that Penn State's recruiting class size is

restricted to 15 for each of the next four years, and that the maximum

roster size for each of the next four years is 65.

Since the reduction starts in 2013 so it breaks down like this:

2012 - 85

2013 - 65

2014 - 65

2015 - 65

2016 - 65

2017 - 85

PSU also cannot award more than 15 scholies per year to new recruits from 2013 - 2016.

Is this right?

per year starting in 2013. What this means is that Penn State's recruiting class size is

2012 - 85

2013 - 65

2014 - 65

2015 - 65

2016 - 65

2017 - 85

PSU also cannot award more than 15 scholies per year to new recruits from 2013 - 2016.

Yes,

They are now Indiana University for the forseeable future.

Right. Read somewhere in one of the umpteen-dozen articles I've read over the last few days that their athletic dept. revenue the last few years has hovered around $18 million, so this $12 million a year is absorbable - even tacking on the extra $3 million per year with the revenue sharing removed.

Tangentially the biggest hit will come from the academic side - PSU athletics have given millions of dollars per year to the general academic fund through donations and athletic scholarships, so while the NCAA tries to shield the school itself from the football program's penalty, the academic side will receive collateral damage regardless.

Is this right?

2012 - 85

2013 - 65

2014 - 65

2015 - 65

2016 - 65

2017 - 85

Yes,

They are now Indiana University for the forseeable future.

Wow, they are going to be worse than Indiana.