Sponsors Pulling Out

Rochelobe

I think that they were trying to get more publicity by withdrawing their sponsorship publicly, than they would have by remaining a sponsor. I don't think this is "GOOD" any more than I think Nebraska should boycott the game. Try to remember who the guilt should follow and don't attack everyone in the Penn State nation with the same knee jerk reaction.

This.

Instead of pulling out they should have announced that they will donate the same amount they pay for the commercials to a child protection charity.

Right now the Penn State "brand" is tarnished, and in my opinion rightfully so. No surprise that a sponsor would pull out.

I want this game to be played, but I sure wish we would have had PSU earlier in the season, before this story broke. Right now I don't like Nebraska being associated in any way with PSU. I know this feeling will pass, but right now, I don't like even being associated with the conference with PSU as a member.

Maybe we should stand next to the people from PSU and the Penn State community and not demonize them. It was the act of one sicko and the non-actions of a few. After all 99.9% of all Penn Staters are as innocent as you and I.

I think that they were trying to get more publicity by withdrawing their sponsorship publicly, than they would have by remaining a sponsor. I don't think this is "GOOD" any more than I think Nebraska should boycott the game. Try to remember who the guilt should follow and don't attack everyone in the Penn State nation with the same knee jerk reaction.

This.

Instead of pulling out they should have announced that they will donate the same amount they pay for the commercials to a child protection charity.

Right now the Penn State "brand" is tarnished, and in my opinion rightfully so. No surprise that a sponsor would pull out.

I want this game to be played, but I sure wish we would have had PSU earlier in the season, before this story broke. Right now I don't like Nebraska being associated in any way with PSU. I know this feeling will pass, but right now, I don't like even being associated with the conference with PSU as a member.

Maybe we should stand next to the people from PSU and the Penn State community and not demonize them. It was the act of one sicko and the non-actions of a few. After all 99.9% of all Penn Staters are as innocent as you and I.

Yes, but that 0.1% are the people that were the core of the University...not your standard 0.1%.

Yeah - I was sort of cynical as to the motives of cars.com. If they want to pull out, pull out - why release a press release? Just pull your ads, and let ESPN figure out what to do. I doubt ESPN says anything under those circumstances, and if they don't how would we know who was afraid of being associated with this event - I don't sit around and memorize who advertises each week on the ESPN games :rolleyes: and take note of who didn't advertise this week vs last week.

I think this is more about "we must show how we are more against child abuse than the everyone else". I don't see a lot of altruism here.

It would be interesting if all sponsors pull out. What would we see - nothing put ESPN ads (kind of like if you've ever watched a game on ESPN GamePlan)

There's not a whole lot of altruism to be exhibited in this situation anyways. In altruism, one pays the cost of an action to the receiver [Penn State] without receiving any benefit from their action. Cars.com doesn't pay a cost when sponsoring games [i mean they do, but the benefits they gain far outweigh the costs of sponsorship].

They're [cars.com] is looking out for their future. They are doing a simple cost-benefit analysis and sponsoring the game simply doesn't carry the benefit of added money as much as the cost of the message "we condone the actions of Penn State" has for the future.

That being said, the best thing I think any sponsor could do is, with the money generated from their sponsorship, donate that to a child abuse center. Furthermore, I don't think they should've pulled the sponsorship [but I understand why]. It's not right to attack the whole university for the actions of a few. And I hardly remember who sponsors the game when I watch them. Who sponsored the LSU-Bama game last week? I dunno, but I could tell you off the top of my head Alabama's FG %

This.

Yes, but that 0.1% are the people that were the core of the University...not your standard 0.1%.

Even so, there are a lot of people in the establishment who had nothing to do with it.

the problem is that the institution was complicit in all of this and it is impossible to punish the institution without players/fans/students/etc. also getting punishment. call it collateral damage, but that is the breaks when your program so incredibly breaches the public trust in such an egregious, heinous fashion.

This.

Because so very few did wrong you abandon the rest too? Did you ever read the Consitution? It starts with "We the people of the United States...". It doesn't say "I, the President of the US..." or "We the administration...". Penn State is not JoePa or Graham Spanier or Tim Curley or McQueary or f'ing Jerry Sandusky. Penn State is currently 96,519 students who, apart from some idiots still worshipping JoePa, feel the same way as we do. Shocked, disgusted, speechless of what happened and why it wasn't stopped. To abandon those simply because they are Penn Staters is ridiculous.

This.

Because so very few did wrong you abandon the rest too? Did you ever read the Consitution? It starts with "We the people of the United States...". It doesn't say "I, the President of the US..." or "We the administration...". Penn State is not JoePa or Graham Spanier or Tim Curley or McQueary or f'ing Jerry Sandusky. Penn State is currently 96,519 students who, apart from some idiots still worshipping JoePa, feel the same way as we do. Shocked, disgusted, speechless of what happened and why it wasn't stopped. To abandon those simply because they are Penn Staters is ridiculous.

let us be honest, their suffering pales in comparison to the children's victimization. they are merely inconvenienced because the people they trusted so shockingly breached that trust. it serves as a stern warning to all of us that we must hold those responsible accountable for their actions. i know you can say not enough people knew, but if this were to happen again, you better bet your bottom dollar that any school would now handle it differently than psu did. consequences of administrators are generally far reaching, and for a reason.

This.

The constitution? Seriously? When I say drama you say queen...

Institutions are measured by their leaders, not the masses. I'm sure most of the workers for Enron were great people...would you invest there? I've never said, nor implied, that all the people at PSU are bad. You stated that 99.9% are good and not to discard the whole because of a few bad apples. That argument is perfect for the "riot" after JoPa was fired as most students were not violent, only a few. You 99.9% argument doesn't apply in this case as the 0.1% that failed are the leaders of the institution. You have to look at the leadership of the university and see what percentage are bad.

Yeah - I was sort of cynical as to the motives of cars.com. If they want to pull out, pull out - why release a press release? Just pull your ads, and let ESPN figure out what to do. I doubt ESPN says anything under those circumstances, and if they don't how would we know who was afraid of being associated with this event - I don't sit around and memorize who advertises each week on the ESPN games :rolleyes: and take note of who didn't advertise this week vs last week.

I think this is more about "we must show how we are more against child abuse than the everyone else". I don't see a lot of altruism here.

It would be interesting if all sponsors pull out. What would we see - nothing put ESPN ads (kind of like if you've ever watched a game on ESPN GamePlan)

Same thing as dvdcrr posted as his reason why he believes Nebraska should boycott the PSU game.

"Here at cars.com, we don't condone child rape. That's the message we're sending here."

Except instead of actually sending that message, they're sending a message that because they're willing to come right out and say it, they're morally superior to all those other heathens who must obviously condone child rape because they're not making a public statement that they don't.

+1

Have we been talking about if wether the whole university deserves to be punished?

What happened at Penn State University is completely reprehensible. It is disgusting and flat out wrong. Unacceptable. But the whole can not be held as responsible. I'll try and illustrate why with an analogy.

I'm currently a student at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln in the psychology department. Now say that one of the professors did what S******y did. According to some reasoning on here, all the students must now transfer or switch majors because the Psychology department is now "tainted". Does that make sense? Is that fair to punish all by the actions of one, when there are many other professors to be to fill the positions?

Believe me, the university is going to get punished enough by a lot of indirect means. It will get punished to some extent in direct ways as well. But to say the student athletes and the students in general deserve to share the same fate just because they chose to attend Penn State [mind you, a VERY respectable school] is completely unjust.

Have we been talking about if wether the whole university deserves to be punished?

What happened at Penn State University is completely reprehensible. It is disgusting and flat out wrong. Unacceptable. But the whole can not be held as responsible. I'll try and illustrate why with an analogy.

I'm currently a student at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln in the psychology department. Now say that one of the professors did what S******y did. According to some reasoning on here, all the students must now transfer or switch majors because the Psychology department is now "tainted". Does that make sense? Is that fair to punish all by the actions of one, when there are many other professors to be to fill the positions?

Believe me, the university is going to get punished enough by a lot of indirect means. It will get punished to some extent in direct ways as well. But to say the student athletes and the students in general deserve to share the same fate just because they chose to attend Penn State [mind you, a VERY respectable school] is completely unjust.

Your analogy doesn't jive. In that situation, only the bad professor should be punished.

Sticking with your theme, once there was suspected activity by the professor, he retired. Then the admin game him keys to the campus and he would bring kids onto the campus. A few years later, a young professor saw that former professor doing inappropriate things and told the Dean about it. Again, not much was done and the bad professor continued on. This extended for over a decade.

This is not the situation of a rouge coach did something bad and was removed. This guy did many bad things and was allowed to continued access.

Your analogy doesn't jive. In that situation, only the bad professor should be punished.

Sticking with your theme, once there was suspected activity by the professor, he retired. Then the admin game him keys to the campus and he would bring kids onto the campus. A few years later, a young professor saw that former professor doing inappropriate things and told the Dean about it. Again, not much was done and the bad professor continued on. This extended for over a decade.

This is not the situation of a rouge coach did something bad and was removed. This guy did many bad things and was allowed to continued access.

I suppose that my analogy left a lot to be desired. What I was trying to get across is the extent to which the university should be punished. Only pay attention to the bolded part then if you want to see my argument. Punishing the student athletes for something that was in no way related to their own doing.

I always look forward to Husker games. Frankly I wish this one were already in the books. I read the big report today so I could make my educated judgement and it was beyond sick. I hope Penn St gets NCAA punishments worse than OSU and USC. I don't have a problem with Penn St or their fans or faithful or players....there just needs to be some kind of stiff penalty for allowing this man to be a part of the program. I can understand the janitor and even the assistant being afraid to report it simply because people take care of their families first....I don't think it's the right thing to do but I do understand the reluctance. But with so many reports he should have been canned long ago.

That's the end of my rant for this whole thing. Ready to move on...

(PS: cars.com is nothing more than a shameless publicity stunt to use a bad circumstance and other people's suffering to market their product. Best thing for sponsors to do is either quietly walk away from this mess or just don't make a big deal out of it)

Nebraska is in no way associated with PSU. We are playing a football game and that is it. I don't understand why people are thinking that we will all of a sudden be apart of what went on because we are playing them the week that everything came of light.