Can someone please explain what our offensive identity is?

The Duke

It seems our offensive identity is Mass Trickeration. It seems like we spend way too much time trying to set up plays for later in the game or later in the season. Only problem is, it seems like what we're trying to set up is pretty obvious. Everyone and their brother called the fact that Rex was running that toss-sweep play early in the game was setting up the Rex Pass, and it didn't fool Penn State at all. On fourth-and-one to seal the game, we ran the same play, but since the pass didn't work last time we just ran the sweep, and PSU was ready for it. Again.

We don't fool anybody, and in fact our offense is predictable enough that Northwestern figured it out and shut it down - and that was the worst defense we'll see all year.

Beck needs to stop being tricky and just put helmets on helmets.

That is just like when Burkhead went in behind the center the third time, Penn State knew exactly what was going to happen and they shot the gap and caused a fumble. I dont know why we go to the well so often on things that dont work.

I don't know that we can blame that fumble on us being so redundant that PSU knew exactly what was going to happen. I mean, the guy was on top of Rex the minute he took the snap. If you mean that PSU knew that the ball was going to be snapped and Rex was going to turn one way or the other with the ball, just like the QB ALWAYS does, then yes, PSU knew exactly what was going to happen.

If they could just shoot that gap anytime they knew the QB was going to take the snap they shoulda' just done it when Taylor was back there. My best guess is that either our OL messed up, or perhaps Rex was being really obvious with his cadence and PSU picked up on it.

The issue isnt that theycould do that everydown, The issue is Rexy isnt used to having to avoid it liek that. I dont think it was going to be a handoff. I think the guy hit him and he ost the bal. I am in no way blaming Rex, I am blaming the play calling. Why try something now that we havent done all year. It isnt like it was a trick play and it is a one time Oh my gosh look what they did; instead it is putting the team in situation that we could put the ball on the ground or lose precious yards when we are trying to win a championship.

Our offensive identity is Martinez and Burkhead.

Our bread and butter plays are zone reads and options with Martinez and Burkhead each being an equal threat to run, or just running Burkhead right between the tackes.

You dare the defense to stop your bread and butter plays, and eventually they do. Sometimes they've got you pegged in the first quarter.

So we have about 20 - 25 pass plays, many of them 12 - 15 yard outlet passes, to ensure defenses can't simply stack against the run. If you can average between 7 and 8 yards a pass attempt, it's simply part of ball control football. We've been doing a pretty good job of this.

This year we've added some festive new formations. They've been executed pretty well. They're called "brilliant" when they work and "too clever" when they don't.

Then when you've established your ability to pass the ball and willingness to trot out some unexpected alignments, you can go back to some of your bread and butter plays and now they're getting 8 yards instead of 2 yards because the defense is much less sure what to expect.

And all of the above works much, much better when the offensive line is solid, receivers are catching the ball, penalties are minimal and the defense gets you the ball back..

I like our offensive identity.