Brent Qvale...... whatever happened to him?

Bo said in today's presser that Qvale and Thompson are both day-to-day with injuries. Ben Cotton and Andrew Rodriguez are doubtful for Michigan.

EDIT - here's an updated from the LJS:

Bo Pelini was asked about several injuries Monday.

-- Starting tight end Ben Cotton is doubtful for Saturday's game at Michigan, the Husker coach said. Cotton's right arm was in a sling after the Penn State game.

-- Starting LG Andrew Rodriguez also is doubtful. He didn't make the trip to Penn State because of an undisclosed injury, which I believe happened late last week in practice.

-- Reserve offensive guard Brandon Thompson and backup wideout Khiry Cooper are "day-to-day" because of injuries.

-- Pelini expects reserve guard Brent Qvale to return to action this week. He could be a big help with depth behind guards Seung Hoon Choi and Spencer Long, who played every down at Penn State.

LINK

So basically if a guy is out of sight we should just assume he's injured.

At this rate 1/2 the team seems to be injured! Good GOD! What happened to Turner's injury :rolleyes: ?

No I don't think you assume he's injured. However, you assume that the coaches are not playing guys on purpose, and they are mismanaging. Is it fair to assume either direction? No. What's fair is admitting we don't know everything that goes on with the football program.

My post was a little tongue in cheek (in case you missed the roll eyes emoticon).

I don't put much stock into Bo's "injury updates". Guys are AWOL and then suddenly we find out they are injured. If guys are dropping like flies then we need to revisit the S&C program bec. I can't ever remember a time when 4 DT's and about 4 OL got injured in a season. Something's just weird there. Also - what happened to Sirles' progress? He was a 4* and should have been busting out this year but now looks lost in the lineup after playing a lot of snaps in 2010.

Ya Bo doesn't do a good job of keeping media/us up to date on injuries, especially if it's not a year ending injury. However, it is pretty common place in football for teams to get hit with waves of injuries. Happens at every level.

As far as Sirles goes, I take the Tom Osborne approach to stars next to a player...they really don't mean that much and are a very skewed vision of what a player should be. Some players pan out well, others don't. Either way, Hardrick is playing pretty decent right now so I'm okay with it. just my opinion

Or maybe, as in the case of reduced time for Sirles, is that the light and attitude has finally clicked for Yoshi. He has stepped up big time, after a junior year where the hype did not match the performance. Yoshi has been a warrior this year.

Qvale was moved from tackle to guard this summer, and expecting him to come in and learn different footwork and technique is asking a lot don't you think. As SunDiego said, Long and Choi have pretty much been the two best interior linemen this fall. Jake has struggled the last two weeks, but Choi has continually blown ARod out of the water as far as technique, motor, and performance.

Also, to all those that say Andrus Peat would come in and start from day 1, remember the same thing was being said about Moore. At the beginning of the year, Moore and Long were the strong side of the line, then as the competition level went up Tyler has seen he can't by on just his talent alone. He WILL be a good one when all is said and done though.

And finally Austin, you complain that the clock is running out for Qvale playing as a Jr. Remember, when NU had the Pipeline, it was made up of guys that had payed their dues for two and three years finally getting that start as a Jr or Sr.

• Fire 1

Bo said in today's presser that Qvale and Thompson are both day-to-day with injuries. Ben Cotton and Andrew Rodriguez are doubtful for Michigan.

EDIT - here's an updated from the LJS:

Bo Pelini was asked about several injuries Monday.

-- Starting tight end Ben Cotton is doubtful for Saturday's game at Michigan, the Husker coach said. Cotton's right arm was in a sling after the Penn State game.

-- Starting LG Andrew Rodriguez also is doubtful. He didn't make the trip to Penn State because of an undisclosed injury, which I believe happened late last week in practice.

-- Reserve offensive guard Brandon Thompson and backup wideout Khiry Cooper are "day-to-day" because of injuries.

-- Pelini expects reserve guard Brent Qvale to return to action this week. He could be a big help with depth behind guards Seung Hoon Choi and Spencer Long, who played every down at Penn State.

LINK

So basically if a guy is out of sight we should just assume he's injured.

At this rate 1/2 the team seems to be injured! Good GOD! What happened to Turner's injury :rolleyes: ?

No I don't think you assume he's injured. However, you assume that the coaches are not playing guys on purpose, and they are mismanaging. Is it fair to assume either direction? No. What's fair is admitting we don't know everything that goes on with the football program.

But I think it is fair to assume that if a couple of the top backup guards are injured, the coaching staff would take an able body to back up the only two guards that make the trip. God forebid one of the starting guards gets rolled up on and tears a knee or breaks a leg.

Ya Bo doesn't do a good job of keeping media/us up to date on injuries, especially if it's not a year ending injury. However, it is pretty common place in football for teams to get hit with waves of injuries. Happens at every level.

Bill Belichick is, by far, the worst coach when it comes to injury updates. Bo is a god in comparison.

Bo's reason for being vague with injury updates is very simple. He doesn't believe injuries should be used as an excuse for losing a game or poor performances. Its an easy way out. When he first got here there were guys asking not to practice because they were sore, or had bruises and dinged up from playing the game. Under BC they could walk through all week and still start on Saturday. Bo thinks its crap. So do I. He wants everyone to give everything they have for the guy next to him. No excuses. And if the guy next to you is battling injured you better step your game up and help him. Navy Seals mentality.

• Fire 1

Ask Yoshi about playing banged up. Dude is a warrior. Gives his heart and soul for his teammates.

I'll give him props this year. Last year I don't think we would have said the same thing. He's grown a lot and taken to heart the talk the coaches had with him after spring ball.

He thought he had arrived last year. He didn't realize the work had just started. Last year was probably a really good wake-up call for him.

Or maybe, as in the case of reduced time for Sirles, is that the light and attitude has finally clicked for Yoshi. He has stepped up big time, after a junior year where the hype did not match the performance. Yoshi has been a warrior this year.

Qvale was moved from tackle to guard this summer, and expecting him to come in and learn different footwork and technique is asking a lot don't you think. As SunDiego said, Long and Choi have pretty much been the two best interior linemen this fall. Jake has struggled the last two weeks, but Choi has continually blown ARod out of the water as far as technique, motor, and performance.

Also, to all those that say Andrus Peat would come in and start from day 1, remember the same thing was being said about Moore. At the beginning of the year, Moore and Long were the strong side of the line, then as the competition level went up Tyler has seen he can't by on just his talent alone. He WILL be a good one when all is said and done though.

And finally Austin, you complain that the clock is running out for Qvale playing as a Jr. Remember, when NU had the Pipeline, it was made up of guys that had payed their dues for two and three years finally getting that start as a Jr or Sr.

Except that........ we don't have a 'pipeline' anymore.

At least not yet.

Ask Yoshi about playing banged up. Dude is a warrior. Gives his heart and soul for his teammates.

Yes, but Yoshi has also been a mild bust....

Need I remind you: Highly rated 4* - turned down LSU and others....

I expected a lot more....

Me too.

I'm not going to beat the Cotton dead-horse anymore, but I'm glad that since we didn't get rid of him yet we at least someone to help out. Brendan Stai said last year, after a mid-season loss, that our offense line plays with really poor technique, and there were some veteran guys on last year's OL.

I don't want to sack Cotton yet, but with all the talent we have there right now and the youth, there's no reason this line shouldn't be dominant or one of the better in the nation in two years. If they're not, it's time to evaluate the coaching.

Also - what happened to Sirles' progress? He was a 4* and should have been busting out this year but now looks lost in the lineup after playing a lot of snaps in 2010.

Other OT recruits from the Class of 2009 (ratings according to Rivals):

#6 Marcus Hall - Four-star - Currently the #2 Left Guard at Ohio St.

#8 Garrett Porter - Four-star - Currently the #2 Center at Texas

#11 Eric Shrive - Four-star - Currently the #3 Left Guard at Penn St.

#21 Kyle Clark - Four-star - Currently the #3 Center at Texas Tech

#24 Brandon Moore - Four-star - Suspended by Alabama, probably transfer

Incidentally, Rivals had Sirles as #45 and a three-star (two five-stars and 23 four-stars in that class).

Not even mentioning the half-dozen or so in this class that are already out-of-football (mostly due to injuries), it obvious that just being a highly-rated recruit makes you a lock, or that somehow that means the coaches aren't helping you progress. There's four guys who aren't even #1 after a position change, and you don't move stud tackles inside.

This coaching staff likes to stick with the #1s, especially on the oline. I'm not sure I'm totally in favor of that but it's hard to argue with that, given that group needs to work together seemlessly. And it's two seniors starting in front of a freshman and a sophomore at the tackle spots. I expect Sirles and Moore to have a lock down on the tackle spots for the next two years (three for Moore) and play at a very high level.