Paterno's name removed from Big Ten Championship Trophy

knapplc

Big Ten removes Paterno's name from trophy

Former Penn State coach Joe Paterno's name has been removed from the Big Ten's football championship trophy, league commissioner Jim Delany said Monday.

The league announced in light of the series of events that have recently unfolded at Penn State, including grand jury indictments, an ongoing Grand Jury investigation, a U.S. Department of Education investigation, the Board of Trustees’ dismissal of Paterno and the Board of Trustees’ appointment of a Special Investigation Committee, it would remove Paterno’s name from the championship trophy.

The trophy will be awarded at the Big Ten's inaugural football championship game Dec. 3 in Indianapolis.

“We believe that it would be inappropriate to keep Joe Paterno’s name on the trophy at this time,” Delany said. “The trophy and its namesake are intended to be celebratory and aspirational, not controversial. We believe that it’s important to keep the focus on the players and the teams that will be competing in the inaugural championship game.”

The trophy to be presented in Indianapolis next month will now be called the Stagg Championship Trophy, named after Amos Alonzo Stagg, who coached football at the University of Chicago, a founding member of the Big Ten, from 1892 – 1932. Stagg compiled a 199-94-22 record while the University of Chicago was a member of the Big Ten, including national championships in 1905 and 1913.

Appropriate decision.

I think they kind of got carried away with putting names on all the trophies. Why can't it just be the Big Ten championship trophy? Did the last one have a name on it?

It just feels weird having all these hyphenated names on everything to go along with the goofy division names (which aren't growing on me).

• Fire 3

I think they kind of got carried away with putting names on all the trophies. Why can't it just be the Big Ten championship trophy? Did the last one have a name on it?

It just feels weird having all these hyphenated names on everything to go along with the goofy division names (which aren't growing on me).

I'm fine with naming the trophy because "Big Ten Conference Champion Trophy" just sounds weak to me considering how much history we have collectively. That said I hate everything about the divisions...the rivalries, the names, the alignment. In my mind go East West and to hell with the consequences. It'll balance eventually. I know you all didn't feel that way in the Big XII but I think there's evidence it could work. Look at the SEC.

Instead we're now like the ACC, where the average football fan can't name the divisions and probably doesn't care....

I'm fine with naming the trophy because "Big Ten Conference Champion Trophy" just sounds weak to me considering how much history we have collectively. That said I hate everything about the divisions...the rivalries, the names, the alignment. In my mind go East West and to hell with the consequences. It'll balance eventually. I know you all didn't feel that way in the Big XII but I think there's evidence it could work. Look at the SEC.

Instead we're now like the ACC, where the average football fan can't name the divisions and probably doesn't care....

Bingo.............

Because they wanted to include the irrelevant football schools as well. U of Chicago and IU.

Chicago because they technically are a Big Ten member and IU because they didn't want to be left out.

A Randle-El trophy? Please. Don't insult the intellegence of the IU fans. They know they are a Basketball school and they are proud of it.

I think every other school(yes, even Minny) brings something historically in terms of football.