Dilemna about Nebraska vs. Michigan Game

Here is my dilemna, looking forward to the game tomorrow and we meet at a nice watch site here in Charleston. However, a friend, not a close friend, but a friend died this past week--funeral is at 2pm (game here starts at 12) Dont know whether to skip it entirely, go to the first half and then leave, etc.

In 1973 I had a great uncle die and it was the same time that Nebraska was playing Army on TV and of course it was a big deal back then to get a game on tv--so my uncles and cousins hid a small portable tv in the downstairs bathroom of the church and took turns going to the bathroom and then coming back and writing the score on paper and passing it down the row of guys.

any thoughts?

Here is my dilemna, looking forward to the game tomorrow and we meet at a nice watch site here in Charleston. However, a friend, not a close friend, but a friend died this past week--funeral is at 2pm (game here starts at 12) Dont know whether to skip it entirely, go to the first half and then leave, etc.

In 1973 I had a great uncle die and it was the same time that Nebraska was playing Army on TV and of course it was a big deal back then to get a game on tv--so my uncles and cousins hid a small portable tv in the downstairs bathroom of the church and took turns going to the bathroom and then coming back and writing the score on paper and passing it down the row of guys.

any thoughts?

See bold...watch game.

First, DVR.

Second, go to the funeral. We all got a reminder last week about where football is supposed to rank in life. However, make a huge ass out of yourself if anyone starts mentioning scores in some way.

Third, run straight home and watch it. If you skip commercials and halftime you will almost be caught up by the end of the actual game. chuckleshuffle

This is my general strategy when the girlfriend has made plans on a Saturday. After enough embarrassing episodes, she caved. Saturdays are now referred to as "Man-Cave Day" and I couldn't be happier. Suck on that flea market!

• Fire 3

Moral of the story; Don't make friends with people that are not Husker fans and sometimes even that won't help. Growing up, occasionally friends or acquaintances would schedule a wedding on a Saturday game day. And these were people that lived in Nebraska...WTH? I can think of numerous times a large number of the people in the church would have an earbud hooked up to their radio. More than once you could hear a collective sigh, gasp, or muffled "yeah" in the crowd when something big happened in the game. I even recall taking turns going into a pastors study to watch bits and pieces of a televised game,.... during the ceremony. I have seen groomsmen and ushers with their radio tuned in as well.

Seriously though, if you have to ask the question, you should probably DVR or record the game and go to the funeral. This is one of those dilemnas that you need to struggle with internally but do the right thing outwardly. But, you have every right in the world to drop the first person that begins to give away how the game is going before you begin your delayed "live" viewing. Good luck.

any thoughts?

Tape the game and go to the funeral. Do the right thing. You will look incredibly flaky if someone learns that you skipped out on or left the funeral early.

• Fire 1

Moral of the story; Don't make friends with people that are not Husker fans and sometimes even that won't help. Growing up, occasionally friends or acquaintances would schedule a wedding on a Saturday game day. And these were people that lived in Nebraska...WTH? I can think of numerous times a large number of the people in the church would have an earbud hooked up to their radio. More than once you could hear a collective sigh, gasp, or muffled "yeah" in the crowd when something big happened in the game. I even recall taking turns going into a pastors study to watch bits and pieces of a televised game,.... during the ceremony. I have seen groomsmen and ushers with their radio tuned in as well.

Seriously though, if you have to ask the question, you should probably DVR or record the game and go to the funeral. This is one of those dilemnas that you need to struggle with internally but do the right thing outwardly. But, you have every right in the world to drop the first person that begins to give away how the game is going before you begin your delayed "live" viewing. Good luck.

When somebody passes away, a football game isn't exactly on the minds of the family members.

• Fire 1

When somebody passes away, a football game isn't exactly on the minds of the family members.

Exactly, even if you weren't that close to the friend, you go to support and comfort the ones that were close and did love him or her.

• Fire 1

I'm not sure which is more disturbing; the fact that I made somewhat light about a funeral during a Husker game by comparing it to my experiences with weddings or the fact that some people might actually need help determining what the right thing to do is. Of course the OP should go to the funeral and DVR/tape the game. If I gave the impression that family members would consider a football a game at a time like this, all I can say is some people don't understand my sense of humor. But I seriously may make an advance directive that my funeral is not to be held on a Husker game day. I would like my wife and kids to be able to attend.