Dilemna about Nebraska vs. Michigan Game

Before I got married for the 2nd time (I was 52 she was 44 so not planning on changing a whole lot ) I made it clear that Husker Saturdays and all Husker games were sacrosanct. The only other times were when the brackets are announced for the Final 4, and Thurs thru Sun the first weekend of the BB tournament. I have only one more wedding I will go to, C-Bears, I don't go to little kids birthday parties, they are for other little kids. I'm a crusty old man and that's just who I am.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Moral of the story; Don't make friends with people that are not Husker fans and sometimes even that won't help. Growing up, occasionally friends or acquaintances would schedule a wedding on a Saturday game day. And these were people that lived in Nebraska...WTH? I can think of numerous times a large number of the people in the church would have an earbud hooked up to their radio. More than once you could hear a collective sigh, gasp, or muffled "yeah" in the crowd when something big happened in the game. I even recall taking turns going into a pastors study to watch bits and pieces of a televised game,.... during the ceremony. I have seen groomsmen and ushers with their radio tuned in as well.

Seriously though, if you have to ask the question, you should probably DVR or record the game and go to the funeral. This is one of those dilemnas that you need to struggle with internally but do the right thing outwardly. But, you have every right in the world to drop the first person that begins to give away how the game is going before you begin your delayed "live" viewing. Good luck.

When somebody passes away, a football game isn't exactly on the minds of the family members.

I know in my family we wouldn't schedule a funeral at the same time as a game out of respect for the deceased. No one would want their funeral to force people to miss a game.

But in such a case, go to the funeral. You only get one chance to pay your final respects.

Been to about 40 some odd funerals. Preacher gets up,woman crying,men crying and young kids not knowing what the crap is really going on. Preacher tells you what a good man he is and he is in Heaven. Okay, Now ask yourself, What would he want you to do? Come be miserable at a funeral he cannot talk to you at? Or Watch the Husker game and know, he is in heaven watching you actually carry on with your life? I would go with the Husker game and I am not trying to sound mena here. Honestly ask yourself. What would he want me to do?

• Fire 1

I'll make a note real quick that I am not encouraging watching the game over going to the funeral, with that being said:

If it was me personally, I likely wouldn't go. I don't deal with funerals well - I mourn people's deaths in my own way, and am incapable of benefiting anybody else besides any satisfaction they might get out of me showing up, but those closest to the deceased are focused on things other than who turns up and won't notice if I'm there.

Been to about 40 some odd funerals. Preacher gets up,woman crying,men crying and young kids not knowing what the crap is really going on. Preacher tells you what a good man he is and he is in Heaven. Okay, Now ask yourself, What would he want you to do? Come be miserable at a funeral he cannot talk to you at? Or Watch the Husker game and know, he is in heaven watching you actually carry on with your life? I would go with the Husker game and I am not trying to sound mena here. Honestly ask yourself. What would he want me to do?

OOH but one other thing. You did not mention who your friend was? If it is hugh hefnar type? Definitely go to the funeral.

You have your whole life to go to funerals. The first Michigan - Nebraska Big Ten clash only happens once. Obvious answer is obvious.

exactly. people, the friend is dead. he will never even know if the op skips.

i agree with this:

funerals are self-indulgent for whomever, or they are at least demonstrative of how bad we deal with and understand death. i do not want a funeral. maybe a reception where my loved ones and whoever can go to celebrate my life, how awesome i was, and get trashed and dance while doing it. i am talking old fashioneds by the pitchers, i plan on setting up a trust with such instructions.

If he was a real man he'd tell you to grab a couple of 12 packs and get ready for the game.