*** Official Michigan Game Discussion Thread ***

knapplc

You'd think. But some people are ok with it as long as he owns up to his mistakes. I'm not. QUIT MAKING THEM.

It's not that simple. You can't just fire a coach with several years' in a row of winning records. You'll never get another coach that way.

Frank Solich come to mind?

No, but consistent mediocrity does.

You're calling 9- 10- 10- and no worse than 8-win seasons back-to-back-to-back-to-back "mediocre?"

You may as well get used to having horrible coaches then, because if you fire that coach, nobody will come to coach for you.

Well, Bill Callahan will come. And I think we all know how that will work out.

Yeah, if we just hold on for another 10-20 years we will be right into the thick of things again.

Exactly. I love how people use the TO argument for keeping Bo around. Times have changed. You don't get 20 years to prove yourself.

If you average 9 or 10 wins a year, then you probably do get close to 20 years, especially at Nebraska....Osborne will have patience with Bo.

Again, quit looking at the # of wins and look at the losses. The way we lose is the problem: out-coached, undisciplined, mistake-ridden, etc. etc.

That is the problem.

Not to mention that half of those wins are against a joke of an OOC schedule and bad B1G teams.

I didn't think the OOC was that bad this year, and do you realize that if Penn ST. beats Wisky next week that we will have beaten both teams in the CCG? We have had good wins, but our losses have been bad, no question.

Bad losses >>>>>>> good wins. Easily.

I have to question Bo's thinking. Taylor just took 2 hard shots there and there's not chance in hell that we can win this game. If Taylor gets hurt, Bo should be FIRED immediately.

Really?

Yes Really. It would prove to everyone that he has no clue about coaching. Get your starting Qb injured in a blowout for no reason.

Come on.... Really??

Yes really. Continue being obtuse though.

Its just hard to believe anybody but a child would jump to the conclusion that Bo can't coach. Do you honestly believe Bo can't coach?

It is not whether he can coach defense or not it is a question is he a head coach and can he recruit athletes?

I think Bo is a good head coach, and I think he will be great one day. He is a driven person, and none of us are qualified to label him as a bad coach anyways. I would say that Bo has shown the ability to rake in some good recruits (according to the recruiting websites anyways). Green, Heard, Peat, David, Burkhead, Turner, Tyler Moore, etc. All are big time recruits.

Nebraska football can be summed up in one word these last 4 seasons....mediocre.

So... what's not mediocre? 1 more win? 2 more? That's not mediocre, that's top 5. Your expectation are sad, and you're the problem with NE's fanbase.

No actually it's fans like you that are the problem. You accept mediocre results and keep asking for more time. Coaching cost NU the CCG last year by playing an one legged TMart and now UM is already better than us before Hoke's really good recruiting classes start rolling in. So do you think that this is going to get any better? The gap is going to widen with the way the program is being run by Bo. Our ceiling is going to be fighting MSU and Iowa for #2 in the division if this keeps up.

For you to make judgements like that is way off base. Have you looked into your crystal ball and see that we will fall back into 4 win seasons again? The foundation is being laid, and it's almost complete. You build championship teams with programs like Nebraska [remember, we weren't making bowl games] with time. Fire Bo and the staff now, and you lose all the progress [the progress which is seemingly invisible to some people] that you're moving towards.

We [the other side] don't accept mediocrity, I bet I was just as pissed as you were while watching our team hopelessly flutter around for 4 quarters. We just take a step outside, inhale the fresh air, take a look at the sky, sit on a park bench or on the deck/steps outside of our houses, and gather perspective.

I've seen more dedication to their teams by the Penn State fans even going through their trying times than I have with Nebraska fans after we lose games.

I think Bo is a good head coach, and I think he will be great one day. He is a driven person, and none of us are qualified to label him as a bad coach anyways. I would say that Bo has shown the ability to rake in some good recruits (according to the recruiting websites anyways). Green, Heard, Peat, David, Burkhead, Turner, Tyler Moore, etc. All are big time recruits.

Definitely agree. But the growing pains are really, really bad.

And you know what, that's ok, if the other team is winning because they are consistently outplaying us. Be this continual lack of preparadness, fundamentals, and discipline is being "outcoached", time and time again. How many of our losses over the last few years can you attribute to the other team flat out playing better than us compared to the ones where we have come out not ready to play, and have just stunk up the joint.

Uh, did our players out-play Michigan today only to have our staff out-coached? It is both, and it is both every time.

Some of our issues right now are players not being good enough, which you can point to the coaches as a recruiting issue. Really though, there is almost no time where a loss is not both on the coaches who coached the game, and the players who played it. Unless it was some freak, fluky occurrence. Otherwise, you are just describing any loss ever.

Point well made Zoogie, it's almost always a combined effort on both parts. But I also think we are a more talented football team accros the board (marginally) than Michigan, and a big part of that coaching aspect is pregame and practice as well as during the game. And even though the coaches can only put the players into position to make plays, not make them themselves, when they don't make those plays, that again comes back onto the coaching. What are we doing day to day in practice. We're this far into the season, and we're still poor fundamentally, blocking and tackling, the two most basic tenets of football, and we look like a Jr High team

Well I stand corrected when I said earlier today that the receivers would show the world that they could get the job done. They have proven me wrong since they cannot catch. Really let down after they had talked about the drops all week and made it a focus.

Likewise, I've probably defended them as much as anyone, but today, they earned what they will receive.

Yep. This one stings and what makes it much more painful is I work with a guy from Michigan and he talked smack all week and I dread going to the office on Monday. Really bites. Maybe I am just having a nightmare and I am still sleeping and I will be getting up here soon to start the day over. Pinch. nope i am awake and the nightmare is reality. :(

Definitely agree. But the growing pains are really, really bad.

Agreed.

Today was a big step back for Martinez. He looked like TMart from late last year: poor passing, taking bad sacks, missing the hole in the run game.

I'm concerned that Martinez doesn't have the vision that a great runner needs. If he doesn't have it now, will he ever?

Davison is talking about how the defense should get a break because they were on the field so much.....yes and no. Certainly the ST play put them out there a ton. But if you're getting owned on 3rd down, you have no one to blame but yourself. The DLine is one pathetic unit right now. Why rush 4 on 3rd down. Just put 3 down lineman in and put another linebacker in there. Not ONCE did I see DL beating one on one pass blocking all day.

Lance Thorell should not see the field on 3rd and medium. Not sure what matchup we were trying to get there.

Not much to take away from this game, other than NO phase of the game looked good.

Lavonte played brilliantly. Compton was pretty good. Stafford was great in rush defense, his usual spotty self in pass defense.

On offense, I really can't think of anyone that played well.

I guess beat Iowa in the 'Who Cares' rivalry, and then get a win in the 'GoDaddy.com' bowl and call it a year.

I'm trying not to be reactionary, but this game was really discouraging as far as the QB position goes. He wasn't a difference maker. He didn't make plays that were there. If he's leaving yards out there in the running game, how exactly is he going to win games? With his arm? The QB may not be on the top 5 list of things that sucked today, but it is the most concerning for me looking at the big picture.

Maybe I'm focusing so much on the QB position because I don't even want to fathom what this defense, minus Dennard and David, is going to look like (shivers)

Well stated,

I don't know that you can focus "too much" on QB b/c it is so crucial to this offense. Yes, the special teams were horrible today, no doubt, and that MUST be corrected. The defense is just as you said, both at the mercy of the offense sucking it up but still responsible for not gettting of the field on 3rd down. I think I focus on Taylor b/c he has such immense talent, mostly with his feet but also he has an adequate arm. His motion is ugly, but this isn't the NFL and motion isn't that big a deal in college. If he can make the right decision 90-95% of the time presnap and then 90% of the time post snap, coupled with making enough throws to keep the run game loose, this offense is scary. If he continues to make poor decisions however this offense will continue to be completely impotent. IF we are going to make the step to the next level (ie play for conference championships, BCS bowls and possible national titles), Taylor is going to be a key compenent to that (along with improved WR play, shoring up the OLine, and the special teams as noted), and that's probably why I tend to be hard on him (plus I was a QB lol).

Maybe having our pants pulled down on national TV will be a good thing in the long run, although between this and the Wisconsin ass-whipping both on national TV, I can't say it is going to help recruiting. I think they have a great foundation, but we can't keep talking about discipline and fundamentals and yet have all these mental errors and penalties. Time will tell I guess....

You'd think. But some people are ok with it as long as he owns up to his mistakes. I'm not. QUIT MAKING THEM.

It's not that simple. You can't just fire a coach with several years' in a row of winning records. You'll never get another coach that way.

Frank Solich come to mind?

No, but consistent mediocrity does.

You're calling 9- 10- 10- and no worse than 8-win seasons back-to-back-to-back-to-back "mediocre?"

You may as well get used to having horrible coaches then, because if you fire that coach, nobody will come to coach for you.

Well, Bill Callahan will come. And I think we all know how that will work out.

Yeah, if we just hold on for another 10-20 years we will be right into the thick of things again.

Totally get your point. And it's not OK. Bo has a LOT of explaining to do at this point. But you cannot just recycle coaches every four years and expect to have a team. Rebuilding alone will take a year or two.

^^ This. And people forget that the last time we fired a winning coach, Solich, we got Callahan. How'd that turn out for us?

Please for the love of god stop using Frank as an example of a "winning" coach. Who coldn't win with the team that TO left him. Look at the two crappy years after all of TO's players left and you will find out where the NU that everyone loved died becaue of his crappy recruiting. Talent wise NU has underpreformed since McBride retired in 1999, he was the last true link to TO and Frank wasted a ton of talent without him. Frank was 17-10 without TO's players and didn't beat a single team with a heartbeat after Crouch left.

I came into the year thinking our stumbles would be at Wisc. and Mich. Never saw the (ISU like) NW loss. This one hurt. I almost feel like its the mid 70ies again. The defense has one Black Shirt, David. I felt today we didn't have the personnel, and the personnel we have weren't coached to their abilities. The Pelieni Bros need to create the defense that truly represents the Black Shirt Tradition of the past. Barney Cotton needs to build the Husker Offensive of old. Our strength and trainng coach needs to turn our recruits into dominate players. We have a ways to go.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Bad losses >>>>>>> good wins. Easily.

Bad losses = good wins. Easily. See how it's a matter of perspective?

Examples needed:

Wisconsin 48 Nebraska 17 (Bad Loss)------------ Nebraska 62 Florida 24 (Good Win)

Advantage------------ Good Win

Just from this year, the Ohio State win washes the Wisconsin loss. The Michigan State win may wash the Michigan loss.

Eh. Maybe not. Losses still suck.

Nebraska football can be summed up in one word these last 4 seasons....mediocre.

So... what's not mediocre? 1 more win? 2 more? That's not mediocre, that's top 5. Your expectation are sad, and you're the problem with NE's fanbase.

No actually it's fans like you that are the problem. You accept mediocre results and keep asking for more time. Coaching cost NU the CCG last year by playing an one legged TMart and now UM is already better than us before Hoke's really good recruiting classes start rolling in. So do you think that this is going to get any better? The gap is going to widen with the way the program is being run by Bo. Our ceiling is going to be fighting MSU and Iowa for #2 in the division if this keeps up.

For you to make judgements like that is way off base. Have you looked into your crystal ball and see that we will fall back into 4 win seasons again? The foundation is being laid, and it's almost complete. You build championship teams with programs like Nebraska [remember, we weren't making bowl games] with time. Fire Bo and the staff now, and you lose all the progress [the progress which is seemingly invisible to some people] that you're moving towards.

We [the other side] don't accept mediocrity, I bet I was just as pissed as you were while watching our team hopelessly flutter around for 4 quarters. We just take a step outside, inhale the fresh air, take a look at the sky, sit on a park bench or on the deck/steps outside of our houses, and gather perspective.

I've seen more dedication to their teams by the Penn State fans even going through their trying times than I have with Nebraska fans after we lose games.

It's not any more judgemental than your buddy was, so that point is not only invalid, but hypocritical. In which I find the majority of the NU fan base to be hypocrites.

Where is the progress at? This staff sucks at recruiting, won't play it's best players, loses annually at home to sh#t teams and finally gets blown out by mediocre teams. Is that what we strive for here at NU now? What foundation are you talking about? I don't see one.

I think Bo as any other coach deserves at least 6 years, but I don't expect the next to years to be any better. By then Hoke will have UM in the top 10 annually and NU will be fighting MSU and Iowa for #2 in the division. I see NU treading downward, not upward. I think we have a much better chance of having a 5-6 loss season before we have a 1 or 2 loss season with this coaching staff.