2011/2012 Women's Basketball Team

knapplc

Granted, this was just against Savannah State, but I came away from the game quite impressed with the youngsters on this team. This is a young team with only two seniors, two juniors and two sophomores. Half our team are either true freshmen or Redshirt freshmen. Kaitlyn Burke and Lindsey Moore you probably know - our Sr. and Jr. point guards (Moore is a bona fide stud), and you know sophomore Jordan Hooper. All three fine players.

But you may not know freshmen Tear'a Laudermill and Brandi Jeffrey, two pesky guards with (apparently) no end of energy. You probably don't know another guard, Rebecca Woodberry, another ball of energy. You may be familiar with Emily Cady, a freshman forward from Seward, who did well but has some learning to do at this level under the basket.

Anyone who remembers Vonnie Turner fondly, as I do, will really like Laudermill and Jeffrey. Both seem Turner-esque, and Laudermill especially has a very high motor. Jeffrey has very quick hands, and was pestering the Savannah State point guard every second she played.

It was a rout tonight, 70-50, and it really wasn't that close. The Husker burst ahead 15-2 and put it in cruise control from there, experimenting with lineups, getting people experience, and generally wreaking havoc with the Tigers offense.

Fun game. This should be a fun team to watch, for several years to come.

I believe Jeffrey was a Parade All American and I though Laudermill was a USA Today AA, as well as a highly ranked recruit. SO it is great to see Connie getting some VERY good talent to come here after a struggle of a year. Maybe Doc should ask her for some tips.

Anyways the way this team throttled a very good and loaded USC team the other night was amazing. I believe they got 66 rebounds!!! That is amazing, again Doc take notes and send JBD to watch their drills.

They could honestly be a dark horse in the B1G. This is the same kind of team(sans the dominating inside presense of Kelsey Griffin) of the tourney team. Pretty deep, run and gun, full court defense, good outside shooting. Just like that squad from two years ago.

The biggest problem last year was that Kelsey Griffin's injury pushed her back a year, making her a senior with several others on that 2009/10 team. That left a huge talent void in 2010/11, and we fell back a bit. This year we have a ton of Freshmen (six true freshmen/redshirt freshmen), and she's going to have to get out of that cycle so she doesn't have these up-and-down swings. BUT, what she has is talent, and she has more talent coming in. She's also shown she can coach that talent. I don't think that sweet-16 run was a one-hit wonder. I think she'll get there again, likely in the next couple of years.

• 2 weeks later...

Recorded last night's game against Creighton and watched it this morning. Seems we got screwed out of one point during the contest. At the 10:15 mark of the second half it was 47-39 Nebraska. The ball was passed to Jordan Hooper (I believe). She was in the paint and shot and made a two pointer. It took 10 seconds before the scorekeeper changed the score and then it changed by only one point. After that I watched very intently and the score was never corrected. It's possible an error was made prior to that point and I didn't notice (I wasn't watching very closely), but I think they missed one there. Glad it didn't come down to needing that one point. I checked the stats on the Husker web site and can't prove anything by it as it all adds up, but I still think they missed one. The women played a very hard fought game last night and won it. Congratulations ladies.

Recorded last night's game against Creighton and watched it this morning. Seems we got screwed out of one point during the contest. At the 10:15 mark of the second half it was 47-39 Nebraska. The ball was passed to Jordan Hooper (I believe). She was in the paint and shot and made a two pointer. It took 10 seconds before the scorekeeper changed the score and then it changed by only one point. After that I watched very intently and the score was never corrected. It's possible an error was made prior to that point and I didn't notice (I wasn't watching very closely), but I think they missed one there. Glad it didn't come down to needing that one point. I checked the stats on the Husker web site and can't prove anything by it as it all adds up, but I still think they missed one. The women played a very hard fought game last night and won it. Congratulations ladies.

Creighton tried to cheat again?

Creighton tried to cheat again?

We played at home last night. I hope we didn't assign someone from Creighton to keep score.