Now Regular Season Over - Replacement of O-Line Coach

We ended the regular season 9-3 with a chance to end up 10-3 with a bowl game win, but why is it I'm not all that happy with our season? Most programs around the country would be thrilled with a chance to go 10-3 for the season. But, as we all know, in Husker Nation, this isn't the case? I, believe i'm not happy, because I lacked any confidence that the Huskers could come out on any given Saturday, compete for 4 quarters, play hard, and play with consistency!?

Having said that, I truly believe it all starts up front and particularly on the offensive side of the ball. As much as I think Barney Cotton is a likable guy, and Hardcore Husker... I without any doubt in my mind, think he needs to be replaced as O-Line coach after the bowl game! Sure we have issues elsewhere as well, but the one that i believe stands out so much more than all others is the play of our O-Line! In four years of play never has the line even come close to playing just good, not great, but simply good on a consistent basis. I'm not getting into why i think Cotton was hired because it doesn't really matter at this point, what does matter is, the program finds him a different spot within the program and hire an O-Line coach who will get it done!

I still don't like Cotton, and wouldn't have shed a tear if he was gone last year, but he deserves another year after this season - his unit did their job well with hardly any depth whatsoever. It remains to be seen whether or not that's anything to do with him or his new help (probably the latter), but you can't let him go after this season.

Rex ran for 160 yards today. I guess he did that DESPITE the oline right?

Yes, you pretty much nailed it. Rex is just that tough and despite showing signs of life the Oline has really only had one great game (MSU). I hated the Cotton hire as soon as he was announced and four years in he hasn't shown us much. I know he'll have three kids playing here next year but he should leave gracefully.

Nebraska ranks #3 in the Big Ten when it comes to running, and #14 in the nation.

The battle starts in the trenches, good or not, the OL takes credit for the ability to provide good lanes for the backs to run through.

Not good enough you say?

How about Nebraska ranking #3 in the Big Ten when it comes to not allowing sack? Some of the credit goes to Martinez's ability to escape out of the pocket or throw the ball away in time.

But seeing how we had guys nicked up. Hardrick, Jake Cotton, Jones, Rodriguez, and who knows how many more. I would say both Cotton and Garrison did a good job coaching these guys this year.

I said this last year when the Huskers were commended for bringing in probably the most talented OL recruiting class. Only one of those guys saw snaps this year and it wasn't much, Tyler Moore. Next year will be the year that Cotton needs to earn his paycheck if he wants to stay. I like how they rotated a lot of new faces this year Long, Cotton, Choi and Moore. Next year should be a pretty stable group. Cotton and Garrison need to develop the talent they redshirted this year and coach the veterans to also step up and compete. Two new starting positions open up next year. i would imagine early in the year they will rotate a lot of young guys in, but once we get into the meat of the schedule, we should settle into a consistent lineup. That is if the injury bug doesn't hit us again. Knock on wood.

Cotton has been pretty much regulated to being a figure-head at this point, I doubt he's leading the O-Line in practice or in game strategy. Now as to why they keep him on staff that's an entirely separate topic...

Don't be surprised if he's given and administrative position and they hire Ganz as a QB coach. The guys who are "helping" Barney now will now get full credit for doing his job for him. It's just an semi-educated guess on my part.

Rex ran for 160 yards today. I guess he did that DESPITE the oline right?

Yes, you pretty much nailed it. Rex is just that tough and despite showing signs of life the Oline has really only had one great game (MSU). I hated the Cotton hire as soon as he was announced and four years in he hasn't shown us much. I know he'll have three kids playing here next year but he should leave gracefully.

Did you watch today's game? Rex wasn't exactly fighting off tacklers in the backfield....

Offensive line played great today. Hell, the whole team looked like a new group of guys today. I think we need to give this offensive line staff more time. It's clear that the extra help we hired in the coaching staff has really helped the offensive line improve. Also, with this being Beck's first year, your talking about teaching an entirely new style and scheme. These guys did a pretty good job of working together as a unit this year. I know it's been a long time coming, but there's no doubt that progress was made up front this season.