Martinez' Throwing Motion

Looking back at a video from last year, I happened across a video featuring Martinez' throw to Rex down the sideline against Idaho, and I had to replay it three times to make sure I was seeing it right. After all this talk about him progressing as a quarterback, it certainly looks as if his mechanics have taken a noticeable step back from the sharp, mostly on target balls from the beginning of last year. But here, judge for yourself:

Vs. Oklahoma State last year

Vs. Ohio State this year

:dunno

Biggest difference I see is in rushing. Night and day difference, to be perfectly honest.

I'd rather have last year's Taylor (Pre-injury, of course). Might get crucified for saying that, but this whole game manager stuff has as much to do with the play calling as him progressing. He doesn't even seem like a threat anymore.

Defenses have keyed on him an awful lot this year in the option game. Taylor's best plays with his feet have been scrambling to buy time to pass, scrambling for first downs then sliding/getting OOB to protect himself, or handing off/pitching on the option, because defenses just aren't letting him run by design. So he isn't busting huge runs this year, but what he is doing is keeping himself healthy and sustaining drives, maybe the top two things that killed our offense last season.

Taylor couldn't break tackles last year either. He's no different as a runner, just as a player having certain plays called for him.

I would really never describe Martinez this year or last as a great runner. Incredibly fast yes. Blazing first step absolutely. Shifty, makes folks miss, tough runner, no.

The last two games, although never to be confused with Scott Frost, he does appear to actually lean into the hit and move his feet after first contact. A big improvement, IMHO.

This year, as evidenced by no show of Carnes, this staff game planned to keep him healthy. If I had to guesses, it was stressed more often than not to slide, go out, avoid the hit etc........

I also think this means the staff is starting to feel that other guys can contribute on O. A huge plus. Huge runs/big plays are nice, but I actually enjoy seeing our O move 80 yrds in 12-15 plays. I think that making others the focal point of the O will actually open up more pf the big plays we saw last year from Martinez. DC's will now have to game plan for Rex, Bell, Reed, Quincy etc.... Leaves less folks to crowd the box on Martinez.

He throws a "shotput" ... not a football guys. This will be his throwing motion for the next two years. Endure it ... learn it ... live it ... love it. Hopefully, he gets better at running and decision making ... and we can all hope for 50% completion rate after the receivers statistically drop 20% of every ball thrown their way.

We have two more years with him ... that's just what it is.