Helu starting for the Redskins

What a good guy to be representing Nebraska. I'm gonna try hard to watch Redskin's games now.

Agreed --- Roy is a fine young man and a great representative for NU. And he is quite good too. To me, he has pretty amazing speed for a pretty big guy. Explosive and tough. I hope he really prospers for the Redskins and it makes the Redskins a team to root for.

• 7 months later...

**bump**

2. It's going to be an intriguing competition at running back in Redskins-ville. You've got veteran Tim Hightower coming off last year's ACL injury, and even though he might not be all the way back physically, he might have the inside track to the No. 1 job. But you can't discount second-year man Roy Helu Jr., who sparked the running game as a rookie in midseason before wearing down late, or fellow second-year veteran Evan Royster, who ripped off 100-yard rushing games in Weeks 16 and 17 when Helu was nicked up. Rookie Alfred Morris, a sixth-round pick out of Florida Atlantic, is another name to keep track of, after a decent showing during minicamp.

If Hightower is healthy enough, he's probably the rusher the coaches trust most to do everything well enough, including those all-important blitz pickup duties, which are even more critical in protecting a rookie quarterback like Griffin. Helu is the best pure runner, with a great burst, but size-wise (5-foot-11, 215 pounds)he might not be suited for true No. 1 duties, making him more of a change-of-pace option on 12-15 plays per game. Royster was very productive, with a team-high 5.9-yard average carry last year, but doesn't have the speed to make many tacklers miss. Hightower should win the starting slot, but Helu and Royster could force Washington into more of a three-headed backfield as the season progresses.

LINK

A snippet about Roy in an cnnsi.com article. Helu might be the best RB at catching passes out of the backfield too.

I think he still didn't get enough love when he played for Nebraska. No, he wasn't Green or Phillips, but the dude was really good here. He was a little up and down sometimes, but he was really fun for me to watch.

I think Helu's ups and downs had more to do with our inconsistent OL than with Roy. I oft asked people that with as hard and as physical as Roy runs, could you imagine him running behind the '94, '95, or even '97 OL? He'd a rushed for probably 2,500 yards and be considered the best RB we've ever had.

I think he still didn't get enough love when he played for Nebraska. No, he wasn't Green or Phillips, but the dude was really good here. He was a little up and down sometimes, but he was really fun for me to watch.

I think Helu's ups and downs had more to do with our inconsistent OL than with Roy. I oft asked people that with as hard and as physical as Roy runs, could you imagine him running behind the '94, '95, or even '97 OL? He'd a rushed for probably 2,500 yards and be considered the best RB we've ever had.

tumblr_lwjf7bJ7Fw1r8cwpko1_250.gif

22414522.jpg